The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-08-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha Revstar Series

Anyone play/own these? In the back of my mind I'm looking for something beyond the single coil. Not in any rush, just looking around.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Anyone play/own these? In the back of my mind I'm looking for something beyond the single coil. Not in any rush, just looking around.
They are awesome. The made in Japan ones are pretty reasonably priced. If I were going out to buy a p90 guitar today it would be a revstar or Godin Icon III. And the Revstar would probably win because deep down I probably believe the less pull on the strongs the better.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
They are awesome. The made in Japan ones are pretty reasonably priced. If I were going out to buy a p90 guitar today it would be a revstar or Godin Icon III. And the Revstar would probably win because deep down I probably believe the less pull on the strongs the better.
I'm reading good things! But wow, the MIJ model is $2800 new, that's more than I'm looking to spend on this kind of thing.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I'm reading good things! But wow, the MIJ model is $2800 new, that's more than I'm looking to spend on this kind of thing.
if you aren't picky on the model you can spend a lot less.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...xoCipsQAvD_BwE
Old 04-08-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if you saw them, but there were a couple of threads talking about Reverend Guitars recently. Excellent reviews from the magazines and YouTube crowd. Around a grand, give or take. A nice change from Fender/Gibson at a reasonable price point for a well made guitar.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
...I'm looking for something beyond the single coil. Not in any rush, just looking around.
Take your time and search out a good example of the early-80's SHB-400: the typical MIJ Yamaha quality you'd expect (BTW I own the 3-PU SSC-500 version with three hot individually-switchable single-coils), coil-split switch, set-neck construction (IME similar to the contemporary PRS wide-thin profile) - very lightweight (similar to a Gibson SG but better-balanced on the strap), sounds as good as it looks, and can be had for around $500 if you're patient:

Old 04-08-2021, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Take your time and search out a good example of the early-80's SHB-400: the typical MIJ Yamaha quality you'd expect (BTW I own the 3-PU SSC-500 version with three hot individually-switchable single-coils), coil-split switch, set-neck construction (IME similar to the contemporary PRS wide-thin profile) - very lightweight (similar to a Gibson SG but better-balanced on the strap), sounds as good as it looks, and can be had for around $500 if you're patient:

Thanks Steve. Honestly there’s a lot in your post that I can decipher but not know what to do with, I’m pretty new to the electric game. SG would be a cool guitar. I checked these out and they do have a good rep. A couple on reverb in the sun $400 range right now.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:21 AM

I have the 502T. It is one of the few electric guitars I've ever played that is super responsive to every single change in the controls, i.e. a tiny change of the tone knob changes the tone, pulling the dry switch cuts the bass, raising the volume ever so slightly boosts the gain and sounds fantastic through a tube amp, each position on the selector switch creates its own unique sound.

The guitar is heavy, well built, has excellent fretwork, and is a joy to play. I doubt I'd ever sell it.

At one point I owned a yellow 320, which was ok, but the 5 series and up are much better quality guitars.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:16 AM

I have an rs820. I love it. Very high quality guitar.

Steve
Old 04-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They are awesome. The made in Japan ones are pretty reasonably priced. If I were going out to buy a p90 guitar today it would be a revstar or Godin Icon III. And the Revstar would probably win because deep down I probably believe the less pull on the str[i]ngs the better.
Is this a scale length comment? I'm an electric newb.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Is this a scale length comment? I'm an electric newb.
No. I'm referring to the magnetic pull on the strings. The stronger the magnetic pull, the less free to vibrate the strings are. It's why some feel the ultimate Humbucker guitar would be something like a single pickup Les Paul or SG junior. Classic Strat pickups have a weaker magnetic pull than the average humbucker.

Not really anything to worry about. That's why I said "deep down" I believe it. On paper it's a thing, but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying I guitar I liked otherwise. One would have to have super high standards, and MUCH less ear damage than I have to really worry about such things!
Old 04-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No. I'm referring to the magnetic pull on the strings. The stronger the magnetic pull, the less free to vibrate the strings are. It's why some feel the ultimate Humbucker guitar would be something like a single pickup Les Paul or SG junior. Classic Strat pickups have a weaker magnetic pull than the average humbucker.

Not really anything to worry about. That's why I said "deep down" I believe it. On paper it's a thing, but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying I guitar I liked otherwise. One would have to have super high standards, and MUCH less ear damage than I have to really worry about such things!
Thanks for the explanation blue.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:07 PM

I own a 502t and a 620. They are solid, well-built guitars for the money, but the Alnico V magnets make the humbuckers sound too "trebly" for my taste, so I had Gibson Classics put in in the 620. Much better.

They are good guitars, overall, and I'm not exactly sure why they're not more popular.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars