The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-07-2021, 03:00 AM

Default don't see any good alternative too Headway EDB-2

Hi,

D18 with soon to be glued K&K PWM.
A Lr Baggs M1A in a drawer. It'll be interesting to try a dual source with those.

I've used an EDB-2 in the past with another guitar equipped with the K&K PWM.
It's perfect for it, it was the only solution I found to get rid of a severe low frequencies feedback in a loud rock band scenario.
Impedance can be selected, and the notch filter could be added if needed.

I'm on the market for another preamp. I chose to buy another K&K for several reasons, I'm a believer this pickup needs a preamp, and I don't see any valid alternative to the Headway.

Red Eye, which is always suggested as a perfect match for PWM, is crazy-expensive here in Italy and doesn't offer much control over eq.
All the Lr Baggs solutions may cause the impedance mismatch, and I do know PWM is going to be boomy if not well EQed. I'd like Venue DI. Adding a TU2 in front of it doesn't make any sense because of on board tuner, maybe a TC Bodyrex could be a solution, but it's going to be a pretty expensive combo.
K&K preamps, especially the XLR version, can be bought for almost the same cash as the EDB-2, which offers much more and could be used with the M1A as well if I'll buy a second guitar or decide to make things complicated goin' to dual source.
Fishman Platinum EQ/DI would be exactly what I'm looking for. A single interface with basic effects and tuner. But the impedance mismatch could be an issue. Is the input trim of any help?
Box NUX units manuals don't mention anything about the input impedance, and I guess they're designed with piezo in mind.
Radial PZ deluxe could be nice, but I don't see any reason to prefer it over the EDB-2.
Tonedexter is a thing of beauty, but can't afford it at the moment (it's way more expensive here in Europe than it is in the US, at about $600).

At the end, even if I'd like something with a built in tuner, to be powered with 9 volt free outlet I have on my electric pedalboard, I don't see anything comparable to the Headway EDB-2 (the older version, the new one would be even better, but still too expensive at the moment).

Anything else to consider?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
Hi,

D18 with soon to be glued K&K PWM.
A Lr Baggs M1A in a drawer. It'll be interesting to try a dual source with those.

I've used an EDB-2 in the past with another guitar equipped with the K&K PWM.
It's perfect for it, it was the only solution I found to get rid of a severe low frequencies feedback in a loud rock band scenario.
Impedance can be selected, and the notch filter could be added if needed.

I'm on the market for another preamp. I chose to buy another K&K for several reasons, I'm a believer this pickup needs a preamp, and I don't see any valid alternative to the Headway.

Red Eye, which is always suggested as a perfect match for PWM, is crazy-expensive here in Italy and doesn't offer much control over eq.
All the Lr Baggs solutions may cause the impedance mismatch, and I do know PWM is going to be boomy if not well EQed. I'd like Venue DI. Adding a TU2 in front of it doesn't make any sense because of on board tuner, maybe a TC Bodyrex could be a solution, but it's going to be a pretty expensive combo.
K&K preamps, especially the XLR version, can be bought for almost the same cash as the EDB-2, which offers much more and could be used with the M1A as well if I'll buy a second guitar or decide to make things complicated goin' to dual source.
Fishman Platinum EQ/DI would be exactly what I'm looking for. A single interface with basic effects and tuner. But the impedance mismatch could be an issue. Is the input trim of any help?
Box NUX units manuals don't mention anything about the input impedance, and I guess they're designed with piezo in mind.
Radial PZ deluxe could be nice, but I don't see any reason to prefer it over the EDB-2.
Tonedexter is a thing of beauty, but can't afford it at the moment (it's way more expensive here in Europe than it is in the US, at about $600).

At the end, even if I'd like something with a built in tuner, to be powered with 9 volt free outlet I have on my electric pedalboard, I don't see anything comparable to the Headway EDB-2 (the older version, the new one would be even better, but still too expensive at the moment).

Anything else to consider?

Thanks.
Grace Felix offer more on EQ adjustments. Also the new model have variable adjustment for phase of channel not just 180 degree turn. However, much more expensive. For me, Headway EDB-2H.E is the C.P value winner!

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-07-2021, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Orchid Acoustic Pre-amp. Uses phantom power from the desk via a standard XLR cable (no batteries to go duff on you mid-gig, no need for mains power), mounts on your mic-stand using the supplied bracket. 1 Meg-ohm input impedance perfect match for K&K pickup. Hand built using top-quality components and housed in a bomb-proof steel case. Designed for, and used by, top UK folk-band ‘Show of Hands’ plus many other UK folk artists. Can't recommend this unit too highly.

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/acoustic.htm

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

...I’ve tried just about all of them except the Grace designs offerings....the two best I found were the Raven Labs PMB..(no longer made)...and the Headway....if I was gonna try something that I suspected might be better for my tastes it would be the Grace Designs Felix....but I get along so well with the Headway it’s hard to justify the high cost of the Felix...
Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 PM

The Headway units are actually very nice and will rival any boutique preamp (i.e. Grace) in terms of tone. Are you specifically looking for a two channel preamp, or single? The offerings vary depending on what you are looking for. Headway has the new EDB-2 H.E., as well as their new single channel EDM-1 H.E.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:15 AM

If I was looking for a twin channel pre for blending, I would look at the new EBS Stanley Clarke signature preamp. Not cheap but loads of control over both channels and extremely high quality. Stanley Clarke is a bass player but the pedal is intended for use with either upright bass or acoustic guitar.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
I use the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ with K&K guitars and have not noticed any impact of the impedance mismatch. But if there is a problem, there's plenty control available to shape the tone.

It does all I want from a preamp.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:42 AM

I bought another Headway EDB-2.
I wasn't 100% about goin' another route, because I know how difficult it could be to pair the K&K PWM with the right preamp.

But I'm still really curious to test if a 1M pedal like a tuner in front of a 10M preamp gives the same result as a preamp with the native right impedance.

The Orchid line seems interesting, but the brexit thing has made buying from Uk really expensive. If they were still in EU I could have given them a try.
Headway is not largely available here in Italy, but I found at least three of them to choose from. While no Orchid products at all.

Last edited by whitewave; 04-08-2021 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
The Headway units are actually very nice and will rival any boutique preamp (i.e. Grace) in terms of tone. Are you specifically looking for a two channel preamp, or single? The offerings vary depending on what you are looking for. Headway has the new EDB-2 H.E., as well as their new single channel EDM-1 H.E.

It’ll be single source. But since I already have a Baggs M1A I’m curious about trying a dual source option. I wanna keep the door open to that.
Is the Boss Ls2 a viable option as a blender in front of a single channel preamp?
I haven’t understood if you can do A+B as sources on a single mono out. It’ll be helpful for the impedance issue as well, having a 1M input
Old 04-08-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
If I was looking for a twin channel pre for blending, I would look at the new EBS Stanley Clarke signature preamp. Not cheap but loads of control over both channels and extremely high quality. Stanley Clarke is a bass player but the pedal is intended for use with either upright bass or acoustic guitar.
The new Headway EDB-2 H.E. is just as feature rich for $299+shipping from Thomann. There's also the Radial PZ-Pro which is priced the same as the EBS but only offers 48v phantom power...may be too much for some mics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification