The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
OK I get it... do you only loop the guitar, vocals, both, or want to be able to choose between guitar and mic?
Just the guitar, period.....no vocal loops

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 04-04-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4mus6 View Post
Guitar>looper>VE-8>Eon One. which would be before or
Guitar>VE-8>looper>Eon One. which would be after
Here is what I would do.
Setup the BOSS VE8 on mono, so the FX such as chorus and reverb are setup to mono (the JBL eon one is mono anyway).

1) Then wire the mono (L) output from your BOSS VE-8 to the Ditto mono input.
2) Check the output levelof your BOSS VE-8 in order to avoid distortion or too weak signal. You want the best signal to noise ratio.
NB: TC ditto is 24-bit resolution device, so it's meant to have a huge dynamic range (at least from a digital point of view). You don't want to send a too hot signal on it in order to be able to add "layers" without loosing quality (overdriving the pedal).
3) plug the mono ouput of your looper to the input of the JBL eon one. The JBL eon one has infamous low gain input. You might need to set it to mic level. Be careful, as you will add layers, the JBL could also distort.

Ex: If your loop is already pushing the JBL at the max volume and you start to add a "kick" by taping the guitar at the bridge (think Ed Sheeran), you might just overdrive the JBL and not be so please with the result. However the JBL eon one having a 10" it would mean you are playing very loud I guess...

Note that in this case BOTH guitar & vocal mic are looped

My 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-04-2021, 10:45 AM

If you only want to loop the guitar

wire like this

QUESTION: Why not putting the looper before the BOSS VE8 then?
1) if you are using a K&K pickup, you might like to have the Hi-Z input from the BOSS
2) if you are using vocal harmonies, keep in mind the BOSS compute the right pitch shift with respect to the guitar signal. If your guitar signal is full of kick, clic, percussive sounds or even Jazzy lead solo melody... Well it might have difficulties to track the right pitch and mess up with your vocal harmonies

If you only want to be able to choose between guitar & vocals to loop:
Well there are many strategies including routing "loop" pedals and A/B boxes... But it requires deeper thoughts and more detailed description of your actual needs.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 04-04-2021, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
If you only want to loop the guitar

wire like this

QUESTION: Why not putting the looper before the BOSS VE8 then?
1) if you are using a K&K pickup, you might like to have the Hi-Z input from the BOSS
2) if you are using vocal harmonies, keep in mind the BOSS compute the right pitch shift with respect to the guitar signal. If your guitar signal is full of kick, clic, percussive sounds or even Jazzy lead solo melody... Well it might have difficulties to track the right pitch and mess up with your vocal harmonies

If you only want to be able to choose between guitar & vocals to loop:
Well there are many strategies including routing "loop" pedals and A/B boxes... But it requires deeper thoughts and more detailed description of your actual needs.
WoW...that’s some quick and awesome diagrams on choices. I’ve never messed with any of the deeper menu options, but as you’ve demonstrated, but know I can always hit “original settings” if I get in a pickle.

Can’t thank you enough for the time you took to school me on some of these intricacies!

I’m going to try the guitar only settings.
Also getting EHX 720 as opposed to Ditto x2
No K&K pickup

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 04-04-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you Rudy, but how does that “series” happen.

Guitar>looper>VE-8>Eon One. which would be before or
Guitar>VE-8>looper>Eon One. which would be after

Sounds too simple, but since I’ve been having no results with researching this, makes sense it would be simpler!

And yes I’ve been eyeing the 720 EH along with dittox2.

Again, appreciate this! My looping “phase” has been around forever, but never had opportunity to actually dive into it at all.(which is kinda obvious!lol
You've got some great detailed answers so far, so those answers will certainly be worthy of consideration.

As far as HOW you can easily do the series connections, simply run a short patch cord from the output of your first device into the input of the second. It's really as simple as that.

If you try it both ways then you'll quickly figure out the good and bad points of doing it either way.

My choice would be running the VE-8 into the looper. You use the VE-8 to select your effects then loop the output. While you are playing your loops then you'll be able to change your VE-8 effects and play along with your loops.

This can be MUCH simpler than all the other stuff using multiple cables and effects send / returns.

You asked for a simple solution and it would behove you to do that. You can always play around with more complex routings later, but why? Your amp is mono, so there's nothing to gain from using left / right routing.

If you've followed any of my previous looping posts you know that I use both sides of my EHX looper independently, one side for guitar and the other for a completely seperate bass and bass amp.

There are lots of creative ways to use your tools, so having fun with them is the main thing!
Old 04-04-2021, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You've got some great detailed answers so far, so

My choice would be running the VE-8 into the looper. You use the VE-8 to select your effects then loop the output. While you are playing your loops then you'll be able to change your VE-8 effects and play along with your loops.

This can be MUCH simpler than all the other stuff using multiple cables and effects send / returns.

You asked for a simple solution and it would behove you to do that. You can always play around with more complex routings later, but why? Your amp is mono, so there's nothing to gain from using left / right routing.

If you've followed any of my previous looping posts you know that I use both sides of my EHX looper independently, one side for guitar and the other for a completely seperate bass and bass amp.

There are lots of creative ways to use your tools, so having fun with them is the main thing!
Done deal..... and thanks again Rudy for the information needed.
Simple is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Will hit you back when I get the 720 and hook it up

Michael

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 04-04-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Done deal..... and thanks again Rudy for the information needed.
Simple is GREATLY appreciated!!!
Will hit you back when I get the 720 and hook it up

Michael
10-4.

If you're interested, I outline what I like about the EHX 720 in post #17 here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6063134

After you get something figured out please feel free to add to my "How do YOU use a looper?" topic:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=584595
Old 04-05-2021, 12:19 AM

I like this page for looper choosing.

Althought it is not up to date as far as looper pedal models

The website summarizes all the questions you should ask yourself prior to buying a looper pedal

http://loopermusic.com/tc-ditto-x2-looper-review/
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 04-05-2021 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Happy Easter Mike! I checked and see what you mean. Nevertheless, I can't think of a reason why you couldn't use the VE-8 in series with the Ditto, but I may be out of my depth (in fact it's likely!) so I've asked Roland (Boss parent) support. They can take their time responding, so any experienced loopers out there, feel free to jump in!
For those who are still interested, I finally got a couple responses from Roland. The first one was a link to multiple Boss loopers without addressing my question. When I said welp remember what I actually asked you, they provided a somewhat snippy response about not providing consultations on pedal flow, plus links to general discussions about that topic. But buried in all of that was the answer:

Yes.

Yes, you can connect (for example) a Ditto looper into a VE-8, using the typical inputs and outputs, like any other effects chain. I expect the Send/Return jacks on the AD-10--which the VE-8 doesn't have--provides the option of isolating any pedal connected to it from the rest of the chain.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
For those who are still interested, I finally got a couple responses from Roland. The first one was a link to multiple Boss loopers without addressing my question. When I said welp remember what I actually asked you, they provided a somewhat snippy response about not providing consultations on pedal flow, plus links to general discussions about that topic. But buried in all of that was the answer:

Yes.

Yes, you can connect (for example) a Ditto looper into a VE-8, using the typical inputs and outputs, like any other effects chain. I expect the Send/Return jacks on the AD-10--which the VE-8 doesn't have--provides the option of isolating any pedal connected to it from the rest of the chain.
Thanks Chris for sharing that info AND your “welp” at the response. You would think some of these questions could be answered less technically, but most of the techy humans are a different breed!

I’ve got my 12” patch cord waiting for my EHX 720 arrival tomorrow. Probably won’t mess with it as weekend is stacked to be busy(no complaints)

I really appreciate the cooperation and comradere among the humans here on AGF. Thank you 😊

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
connections, looper pedal