The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-31-2021, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
Something off topic by a bit. What happens if you run out of a charge in the middle of nowhere. Guess the days of walking to the closest gas station will be over, along with one the greatest movie tropes ever.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-31-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
Something off topic by a bit. What happens if you run out of a charge in the middle of nowhere. Guess the days of walking to the closest gas station will be over, along with one the greatest movie tropes ever.
Some enterprising fellow will show up with a diesel generator on the back of his gas-guzzling F250, and give you a boost for $50.

Not entirely joking here...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Some enterprising fellow will show up with a diesel generator on the back of his gas-guzzling F250, and give you a boost for $50.

Not entirely joking here...

It’s not great, but my 6.7 powerstoke F250 that’s lifted on 35’s gets pretty decent mileage!! Actually better mileage than my 3.5 Ecoboost F150 that was on 34’s did.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 03-31-2021, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Strictly my opinion, but I'm having a hard time with the looks of the new 2021 F150! Well, the front-end of the new F150. I'm fine with the rest of it, but it looks too much like the redesigned Nissan Titan! I remember when truck brands went out of their way to make their vehicles look totally different from the competition. Now, they're starting to resemble each other more and more, especially the led daytime running lights.
Yeah not wild about it. Not horrible but kinda goofy compared to the current one.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Strictly my opinion, but I'm having a hard time with the looks of the new 2021 F150! Well, the front-end of the new F150. I'm fine with the rest of it, but it looks too much like the redesigned Nissan Titan! I remember when truck brands went out of their way to make their vehicles look totally different from the competition. Now, they're starting to resemble each other more and more, especially the led daytime running lights.
It’s hit or miss with me. Some trims it looks decent and other trims I don’t like it at all. The new pricing is crazy too.

I really like the 18-20 body style and will soon be in the market for one of those.

As far as electric trucks I’ll resist as long as I can. I’m a huge V8 fan and love the smooth rumble of a powerful V8. I’m also intrigued by the ecoboost as well, but will probably stick with the 5.0 if get a Ford.

I also think that it’s a long way away for an electric truck to have the range and power to pull heavy loads or do truck things. I’m also not crazy about the sudden push to electric. There’s a ton of work and money to invest in the infrastructure and when you look at everything, is operating electric vehicles truly they much greener?

I could see having an electric car for a run around town vehicle, but electric trucks will be a no go for me for quite a while.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
The new pricing is crazy too.

I really like the 18-20 body style and will soon be in the market for one of those.

As far as electric trucks I’ll resist as long as I can. I’m a huge V8 fan and love the smooth rumble of a powerful V8. I’m also intrigued by the ecoboost as well, but will probably stick with the 5.0 if get a Ford.

Ford has about priced their trucks out of the realm of normal people's wallets! In 2013, my F150 4X4 Limited that was loaded with EVERY option was $54k. Now, $54k gets you a halfway loaded Lariat and a fully loaded Limited is close to $80k. I too am a fan of the 18-20 models and if I were in the market for an F150 that would be the one I would find! The Coyote is a GREAT motor and sounds fantastic too, but that 3.5 Ecoboost is a pulling monster!! I pulled my 18 ft. Big Tex car hauler with my Polaris Ranger Crew and the bed completely loaded front to back with firewood and camping supplies for a week, up a mountain and you couldn't even tell it was loaded. It would also pull my 25ft. wake boat up and out of the lake like it wasn't there and smoke the back tires off while doing it. That engine paired with the new 10-speed transmission is a fantastic combo for power and efficiency.

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 04-05-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Ford has about priced their trucks out of the realm of normal people's wallets! In 2013, my F150 4X4 Limited that was loaded with EVERY option was $54k. Now, $54k gets you a halfway loaded Lariat and a fully loaded Limited is close to $80k. I too am a fan of the 18-20 models too and if I were in the market for an F150 that would be the one I would find! The Coyote is a GREAT motor and sounds fantastic too, but that 3.5 Ecoboost is a pulling monster!! I pulled my 18 ft. Big Tex car hauler with my Polaris Ranger Crew and the bed completely loaded front to back with firewood and camping supplies for a week, up a mountain and you couldn't even tell it was loaded. It would also pull my 25ft. wake boat up and out of the lake like it wasn't there and smoke the back tires off while doing it. That engine paired with the new 10-speed transmission is a fantastic combo for power and efficiency.
I had some family over this weekend and got to test drive my brother in law’s 2019 Lariat 3.5. Man that thing is a beast! My speed quietly snuck up on me before I knew it. The ecoboost vs V8 thing might just come down to whichever one I find a better deal on. I don’t know if I’ll be able to swing a lariat with low miles, but I really liked the way his was appointed. I think it was the 502a package.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:56 AM

Lost in this thread is what a truck was designed for originally----work! The "Plain Jane" work truck has been relegated to "buggy whip" status and is pretty much a thing of past-----along with affordability! $90K is now a common reality for a loaded pickup.

Fog
Old 04-06-2021, 05:30 AM

If I could've afforded that 1000hp Hummer, I would've pre-ordered one the day the order books opened up. The Cybertruck looks funky but I'd probably get used to it. My F-150 will have to suffice for now.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Lost in this thread is what a truck was designed for originally----work! The "Plain Jane" work truck has been relegated to "buggy whip" status and is pretty much a thing of past-----along with affordability! $90K is now a common reality for a loaded pickup.

Fog
I sure wouldn't pay $90k for a truck, but it's very nice to have creature comforts while I'm hauling hay or cattle around!

Old 05-22-2021, 09:47 PM

I figured with the announcement of the new F150 Lightning this week this would be worth a bump. Maybe the Lightning merits it’s own thread.

Cool concept but I just bought a low mileage used 5.0 this week that I’m hoping lasts me quite a while so it’ll hopefully be a while before I would consider it.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I figured with the announcement of the new F150 Lightning this week this would be worth a bump. Maybe the Lightning merits it’s own thread.

Cool concept but I just bought a low mileage used 5.0 this week that I’m hoping lasts me quite a while so it’ll hopefully be a while before I would consider it.

They’re not releasing how many miles it will go pulling those 10,000 lbs it’ll supposedly pull. If I were a betting man, I’d say it’ll have dramatically reduced distances when pulling. Electric sounds good on paper, but we’re a LONG way from it being viable for everyone!

Old 05-22-2021, 10:31 PM

It's probably not viable as just a consumer-oriented truck. As many have pointed out, lots of people buy pickups for towing, recreational use, etc., which doesn't really match well with some of the downsides of electric.

But I read an article today that Ford was actually going to target a different market--fleet vehicles. That makes far more sense: they are driven daily and often but not for great distances, and are parked in the same place every evening for charging. Work trucks also don't need the heated leather bun warmers and fancy sound system, and the projected prices (after subsidies) are only a few thousand more than the gas models.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:48 PM

Not for me, not yet. I use my truck mostly for hauling our Airstream into off-grid campsites. I need to be able to get there (4-8 hour drive), and get beck.

When there's no power available to charge up the tow vehicle batteries when I get there, I won't be able to get back.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
It's probably not viable as just a consumer-oriented truck. As many have pointed out, lots of people buy pickups for towing, recreational use, etc., which doesn't really match well with some of the downsides of electric.

But I read an article today that Ford was actually going to target a different market--fleet vehicles. That makes far more sense: they are driven daily and often but not for great distances, and are parked in the same place every evening for charging. Work trucks also don't need the heated leather bun warmers and fancy sound system, and the projected prices (after subsidies) are only a few thousand more than the gas models.
I think this is correct. Tesla fanboys seem terribly upset about the Lightening and determined to see the Cybertruck as the superior vehicle. But, the Tesla product and the Lightening are targeted to different markets. The F150 is a work truck for workers who work. Most work trucks sit idling at job sites and don’t rack up huge daily miles. The Cybertruck is more of an adventure/combat vehicle targeted at someone who might have otherwise bought a Hummer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic