The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-30-2021, 07:31 AM

Default Bridge on a Takamine N-10

The bridge ripped off my Takamine N-10 with a loud bang that chilled my bones and broke my heart. A thin layer of the cedar top wood fibres came off with the bridge with the split saddle pickup wire dangling out of the small hole I drilled for it many years ago.

I have a lot of attachment to this amazing instrument made by the skilled luthiers of the japanese factory. I want it to be restored to it's best and I would like advice on how this could be accomplished.

I would like to know how this should be done so that I repair it correctly, or find a good luthier who I am capable in trusting this little treasure of mine.

Winter are long and dry here in Quebec and I now realize that I have perhaps been negligeant in leaving it out on a stand ready to play at any time. These delicate instruments are like fine cigars from what I understand now. They need humidity as not to become brittle. I hope that this process was not irreversible.

Many thanks to you all for your advice

Paul.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:32 AM

Repairs are not typically, a + b = c,

Repairs are about assessing whats in front of you and coming up with the best solution, do you have a photo of what you have

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-31-2021, 08:15 PM

Default Takamine N10 Bridge Repair

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply and offer to kindly advise. As requested, here are some images.

Paul.

After it exploded, I hung it up on the wall rack:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc9go6w88r...-Hung.JPG?dl=0

I removed the strings and took this picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98ndhlttc5...Close.JPG?dl=0

(I have a split bridge pickup that I installed, hence the ribbon cable)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair