The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-11-2018, 06:01 PM

Default Baby Taylor in Street Marching Band -- pickup? amp?

Maybe weirdest question asked . . .

I've joined a street "marching" band (clarinets, saxophones, trombones, trumpets, tuba and drums). An ad hoc group, usually between 15-25 players.

I of course am the only guitar.

We are playing the Honk! Festival in Sommerville, MA and I need some sort of pickup/mini-amp to be heard.

I am taking my Baby Taylor -- I figured out how to mount a music lyre on it, etc. I'm playing rhythm (probably mostly HARD rhythm).

So here is the $64k question: best pickup and amp for this kind of gig. I've read lots of posts here in the forum(s), but obviously nothing is like my own situation.

"Help me, AGF. You're my only hope."

Claudia
Old 08-11-2018, 06:16 PM

So, here’s hoping you’re marching in proximity to something (float, support vehicle, kangaroo riding a tricycle, whatever) upon which you can place an amp.

If yes, there are several compact battery powered options from Fishman, BOSS and others.

Given that it’s not a critical listening environment, I’d be inclined to keep it simple with a Seymour Duncan Woody or similar and call it a day.

You can spend as much or as little as seems prudent, but the expectation and potential for fidelity are relatively low. Relax, figure it out, and go have fun.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I couldn't help myself...

Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 PM

Last year, I had to play a gig that involved marching around a university library playing klezmer music. It was a trio of acoustic guitar, acoustic bass guitar, and clarinet. For that, my Taylor dread was plenty loud enough and so was the clarinet, but the acoustic bass guitar needed a boost, so I borrowed a little Vox Mini amp. It was small enough to put in a small backpack, and the bass player plugged into that, put it on the pack, and we were good to go. I don't know how loud you'll need to be in the street (I guess it depends on what the rest of the band is playing), but something like that might be your best bet.

A simple magnetic pickup will be fine, I imagine. I think Taylor makes a small one for the GS Mini. I would guess it will install on a Baby as well.

Louis
Old 08-12-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Last year, I had to play a gig that involved marching around a university library playing klezmer music. It was a trio of acoustic guitar, acoustic bass guitar, and clarinet. For that, my Taylor dread was plenty loud enough and so was the clarinet, but the acoustic bass guitar needed a boost, so I borrowed a little Vox Mini amp. It was small enough to put in a small backpack, and the bass player plugged into that, put it on the pack, and we were good to go. I don't know how loud you'll need to be in the street (I guess it depends on what the rest of the band is playing), but something like that might be your best bet.

A simple magnetic pickup will be fine, I imagine. I think Taylor makes a small one for the GS Mini. I would guess it will install on a Baby as well.

Louis
The Taylor magnetic pick up for the GS mini does NOT fit the baby Taylor. It was specifically designed to fit a recepticle in the GSMini. You could try a tone wood amp (google them) but I don’t think that is going to be loud enough for an acoustic guitar in a marching band. Fishman and LR Baggs and Seymour Duncan make some nice soundhole magnetic pick ups. Have a small battery powered amp on a cart and have someone push it for you. Or go wireless to the amp. 😉
1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Little Martin travel guitar
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

I was given one of these a couple decades ago...

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...mpaign=1327510

I used it once back then at a party (think: wandering minstrel); it has a belt clip. I still have it, but it no longer works (now, just a reminder of my rock 'n roll days). It has an over-drive tone, but that may not be an issue in a marching band situation. It may take something bigger to compete with a trumpet and keep an acoustic tone, but short of carrying something like a Bose S1 in a mesh backpack, you may have to make some allowances for the portability.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Battery powered Pignose amp? I think you can wear with a guitar strap. 5 watts, 6 lbs.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmgrrrl View Post
...I'm playing rhythm (probably mostly HARD rhythm)...
If you've ever seen the NOLA krewes or the Philadelphia Mummers, you'll notice that the banjo is the instrument of choice for high-energy/high-volume marching-band rhythm in an outdoor setting; trust me, without a big amp (I use a Fender '65 Super Reverb RI or Frontman 212R - multiple speakers, 45W tube/65 lbs. and 100W solid-state/50 lbs. respectively - for stationary outdoor gigs, with a full PA system) no guitar short of an old Stromberg Master 400 stands a chance of being heard - and those puppies cost $40-50K when/if you can find one...

Solution: buy the loudest, cheapest 4- or 6-string banjo you can find. FYI 4-strings (tenor or plectrum) can be set up in "Chicago" DGBE tuning (like the top four strings of a guitar) or, in the case of the shorter-scale (and easier-to-find) tenor, in GCEA tuning (like a guitar capoed at the fifth fret) with lighter-gauge strings; you'll also want to tighten the head as much as possible without splitting - the idea here is raw "cutting power" rather than purity of tone, and maximizing treble response will help you cut through a 25-piece band on the march. Just remember to proceed slowly and evenly, working across the rim (much like tightening the lug nuts when changing a tire) until it's almost (or actually) painful when you hit a chord ; if it's done right you'll have no problem being heard, the only thing you'll need to carry is your instrument, and it has the old "street band" look - IMO a win-win situation all around...
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you've ever seen the NOLA krewes or the Philadelphia Mummers, you'll notice that the banjo is the instrument of choice for high-energy/high-volume marching-band rhythm in an outdoor setting....

Solution: buy the loudest, cheapest 4- or 6-string banjo you can find. FYI 4-strings (tenor or plectrum) can be set up in "Chicago" DGBE tuning (like the top four strings of a guitar) or, in the case of the shorter-scale (and easier-to-find) tenor, in GCEA tuning (like a guitar capoed at the fifth fret) with lighter-gauge strings; you'll also want to tighten the head as much as possible without splitting - the idea here is raw "cutting power" rather than purity of tone, and maximizing treble response will help you cut through a 25-piece band on the march. Just remember to proceed slowly and evenly, working across the rim (much like tightening the lug nuts when changing a tire) until it's almost (or actually) painful when you hit a chord ; if it's done right you'll have no problem being heard, the only thing you'll need to carry is your instrument, and it has the old "street band" look - IMO a win-win situation all around...
I think this is a great idea. I friend of mine plays a banjo like this in his old vaudeville songs act, and it's piercingly loud. I ran sound for him once and recorded him and the banjo needed no amplification at all against amplified voice and compared to mic'd guitars and ukes. Recording balances were a challenge!

Louis
Old 08-12-2018, 06:29 PM

Smile Baby Taylor in Street Marching Band

Funnily enough, a friend just "gifted" me a 1910-era short-neck tenor guitar. I had the head replaced (it was torn) and asked the luthier to do a setup and whatever else it needs.

So . . . if I change the tuning to G-C-E-A, do you have recommendation as the gauge of strings I should buy? It's currently tuned C-G-D-A.

And the poster that said a Baby Taylor is not a GS-Mini -- I made that mistake and had to return the Taylor-made pickup. Dang !

You all are great! I may not go the banjo route, so any more pickup/amp suggestions are much appreciated.

PS: Did I mention that of course we are playing in band keys? Eb. Bb, Ab, and F? Good for my chording skills.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, baby taylor, pickup, taylor