The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Some of the commercially available slides are pretty good, but also try Home Depot or some other big hardware type stores. Look for pieces of PVC pipe that they're selling cheap because they've been cut and are of no use to a plumber anymore. The pipe is usually a thick plastic that is very durable, smoorth, easy-to-cut. Also, look for some wooden doles. They're pretty cheap, and like the pvc pipe, you can cut several slides from them. The flat area of a butter knife is a great metal slide. Anything that's metal and smooth can work too. I've even used the flat side of a car key when I didn't have a slide with me. I've purchased glass slides. They're fine, but so are the little liquor bottles they used to give on air lines. The side of a beer bottle is also a good substitute......Plastics, woods, metals, they all give you different sounds and tones. Some or louder than others. Some have a very rustic and gritty tone. Some are bright. They all work.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKENNA View Post
What are considered to be some of the best brand of Slide’s for slide playing on standard 6-string guitar these days?

Brand and link if you have one? (appreciated)

Thanks,
Cheers
Brian
Do you use a slide now?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:20 PM

Default Slide now question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Do you use a slide now?

Used to in the past - years ago and now wish to get back to it a little bit.

BK
Old 01-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKENNA View Post
Used to in the past - years ago and now wish to get back to it a little bit.

BK
Thanks. We can skip the beginner advice then. Some good recommendation as to good makes above. If you decide to mail order, you will need accurate sizing information, since you can't try in advance. You know the trick with a spark-plug socket wrench for getting the proper inside diameter? I'd buy a couple that seem right and take them home and play with them for a bit to be sure that it is comfortable over time. (too small and your finger becomes fatigued holding itself straight, too large and it becomes fatigued arching to much to hold the slide in place. Look at how your finger naturally hangs, with a little bit of arch to it? You want the same position inside the slide, as much as possible.

Heck, Lowell George made a nice little living using a Sears Craftsman 11/16" sparkumup socket.

Then you just have to decide as to material, wall thickness and length. I prefer the tone from glass, thicker walls for mass and a shorter length, barely enough to cover 6 strings as I seldom slide on all six and gladly trade that off for better control.

I've never mail-ordered one, by the way. Most better guitar stores will have some slides. I've also a couple that I had cut from Hennessy 500ml bulb bottles.

OMMV

TW
Old 01-03-2016, 02:39 PM

Diamond Bottleneck here as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
slide, slides