The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-28-2021, 10:21 AM

Default What is this bridge?

Hi All,

I purchased an old parlor guitar with a broken bridge. Thing is, I am not entirely sure what the purpose of that broken part is. When I bought it, based on the pictures i thought that it was a slot for a saddle (something like this https://www.earlyromanticguitar.com/...3162bridge.jpg). However, the cut is very thin, maybe 1 mm width, so it doesn't look like it..
I'm also not sure if I should put nylon or steel strings..
Anyone?

Old 09-28-2021, 10:47 AM

looks like it should have a slither of bone or horn in there. uncompensated like a classical, so nylon strings.

but that's 100% guess!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM

Looks like it had fret wire for a saddle. That was common on inexpensive guitars. The tie block style bridge is more in keeping with nylon strings, but extra light steel would probably be OK.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:13 AM

A fret wire saddle, that could well be yeah.

So my next question, how do I repair this?
It's probably easier to just replace the bridge, however, I would like to have it as close to original as possible..
On the other hand, getting the action right on a bridge like this seems like an impossible job?
Old 09-29-2021, 05:13 AM

I assume you are missing the broken piece?

Find some matching wood, rosewood? Saw or plane enough of the broken area away until you have a flat gluing surface for a good glue joint. Carve new wood to a suitable shape. Cut a slot and install fretwire or switch to a conventional slot with bone saddle. Glue the new piece to the bridge. It may be easier to glue first then carve.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:56 AM

Just a small update here.

I decided to make the guitar as functional as possible, instead of restoring it as original as possible.
So I decided to put a new bridge on it with bridge pins. I can still decide then to put either light steel strings, or loop end nylon strings.

So I will remove first the old bridge. The guitar has ladder bracing, with a brace just behind the saddle.
Do I need to mount a bridge plate for the new bridge?

Here is a picture of the current situation:

Old 10-05-2021, 07:36 AM

I would not recommend altering the design. For vintage repairs it's always best to stay as original as possible. When glued down properly you should have no problem with a pinless bridge and extra light strings. Plus the way you describe that brace as being just behind the saddle sounds like it makes that impossible anyway. If it is possible and you are hell bent on going with a pinned bridge then yes you need a bridge patch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair