The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-08-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Truss rod length?

In a sound hole adjustable truss rod with bolt on neck, is there a preferred length on a 2 way truss rod ?

Should it come to the end of the tenon or all the way through the neck block, another 5/8" in this instance. I have one truss rod that reaches the tenon end and another longer one I could shorten to any length if I got out my welder. This is a style similar to Stew Mac's hot rod low profile.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:05 PM

Depends on type of neck joint.

Approximately flush with the end of the tenon. It has to clear the neck block if you want to install it with a compound dovetail neck joint.

Last edited by JonWint; 10-08-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Depends on type of neck joint.

Approximately flush with the end of the tenon. It has to clear the neck block if you want to install it with a compound dovetail neck joint.
A straight mortise & tenon bolt on
Old 10-08-2021, 02:27 PM

It's better to think about how the rod works to determine the length. You want the center of the rod where the most bending action is in the center of the neck from nut to body joint, within reason of course.

I like to have the adjustment through the sound hole and typically the rod is just out the length of the neck.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:28 PM

Longer will be OK then. Longer is just heavier. There is nothing "bendable" except the cantilevered portion of the neck. Nothing will bend beyond frets 0 through about 12 on a 14-fret neck joint.

I've cut and welded them before. Replace the damaged plastic sheath before installing.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Both ends of most truss systems should be within the boundaries of the neck. I usually run from the nut extreme end of the fingerboard to over the heel, never past the end of the dovetail, or in your case, the male component of the tennon. I visualize it pushing down at the ends and up in the middle, so the ends must be inside the neck's length lest there be unexpected consequences.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Longer will be OK then. Longer is just heavier. There is nothing "bendable" except the cantilevered portion of the neck. Nothing will bend beyond frets 0 through about 12 on a 14-fret neck joint.

I've cut and welded them before. Replace the damaged plastic sheath before installing.
I have cut and welded them before too, for fender style necks, horrible welder that I am. I think I just re-wrapped the end with masking tape but heat shrink might work nicely.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Both ends of most truss systems should be within the boundaries of the neck. I usually run from the nut extreme end of the fingerboard to over the heel, never past the end of the dovetail, or in your case, the male component of the tennon. I visualize it pushing down at the ends and up in the middle, so the ends must be inside the neck's length lest there be unexpected consequences.
That kind of makes sense having the ends inside. I'll run it flush with the end of the tenon then. Thanks
Old 10-08-2021, 07:52 PM

When i maks a truss rod, i like all of the truss rod to be captured within the wood structure, i will however vary the length of the captured head to bring it up to the upper tranverse brace

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair