The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Default What's your favorite Taylor for strumming??

What everyone's favorite Taylor to strum and sing along to and why? I'm not a fan of cutaways so lets leave those out.
Reason I'm asking is because I went to a local shop to play a bunch of guitars and they had two Taylors. I had never given them much thought before but I thought I'd try them. Very nice sound and the neck felt amazing. Better than some of the guitars I came to play. But since they did not have a large selection of Taylors it's hard to know what some others might sound like.
I'm in the market for a nice high end acoustic and now I've thrown Taylor into the mix. I'm into classic rock, country, bluegrass, folk, singer/songwriter type of stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM

Default Choices.......

I'm going to ask why you're limiting yourself to just Taylor?
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 PM

A Taylor 526 is really a good guitar for what you want or a Martin D-18 & D-28.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 PM

any of the Taylor DN or GS series make for a great strummer. I’ve neber played one, but I’d imagine the GO series are too.

My go to Taylor is my DN8 which is similar to a 810. I also think the DN3 is one of their best models for a bold strummer.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToeify View Post
What everyone's favorite Taylor to strum and sing along to and why? I'm not a fan of cutaways so lets leave those out.
Reason I'm asking is because I went to a local shop to play a bunch of guitars and they had two Taylors. I had never given them much thought before but I thought I'd try them. Very nice sound and the neck felt amazing. Better than some of the guitars I came to play. But since they did not have a large selection of Taylors it's hard to know what some others might sound like.
I'm in the market for a nice high end acoustic and now I've thrown Taylor into the mix. I'm into classic rock, country, bluegrass, folk, singer/songwriter type of stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions
My 1995 810 fits that bill perfectly!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-20-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I'm going to ask why you're limiting yourself to just Taylor?
I'm not its that I have no experience with Taylor's line. Right now I'm looking at Martin, Santa Cruz, Atkin, Bourgeois and now Taylor. I am keeping an open mind. That's why I'm soliciting Taylor owners who love to strum, which is what I do mostly.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:44 PM

Self edited...

My gist of my comment was already addressed by the OP...
Old 06-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Strumming? Taylor? 818e.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-20-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
My 1995 810 fits that bill perfectly!!
That one is on my radar. Is yours spruce/rosewood? How has the sound aged?
Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I have a GS Custom with cedar / rosewood which I strum with a lot as well as fingerpicking. It is loud with a loud musical bass... and it has a lot of sparkle with the Indian Rosewood. I also own a 518e GO with spruce / mahogany...which is a powerhouse for strumming. It doesn’t have the sparkle that the GS has... but The bass has a bit more horsepower than the GS. I love both guitars for strumming. The GS is loud with a clear and bright tone. The
GO has a stronger and deeper bottom end on the open chords.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

GS would be my first pick as it’s a comfortable body for me but GO and DN are also going to give you big full strumming tone.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:31 PM

My 516e Fall Limited Edition is a fantastic strummer (and it’s for sale in the classifieds...). Big, bold and rich sound. The Adirondack braces help I think. Most GS models ( the ones that end in “6”), are great strummers, yet also articulate when fingerpicked as well. Overall great guitars. Good luck on your search!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What everyone's favorite Taylor to strum and sing along to and why
Speaking as a “Martin Guy” Who has recently become interested in Taylor, I looked hard at the new V-Class guitars because I’m looking for something different than the traditional Rosewood and mahogany dreads, which Martin covers very nicely, thank you.

Three new Taylor V-Class guitars caught my fancy and are worthy of recommendation for others to investigate. They are: new 2018 Builders Edition K14ce, all of Andy Powers best stuff (sorry that you don’t like cutaways but you need to get over it because it improves the playing experience—this from a Martin Dread only guy). Torrified Sitka over Koa with electronics in a slightly smaller size than Dread is very cool and sounds great. Plus, it has all the ergo advancements that Martin is afraid to try. #2 is 514ce V-class with Cedar over Mahogany. This is a very impressive sounding guitar again coming from a Martinphile who had never heard of cedar tops. This is a fantastic guitar if you don’t have the hog base covered. Last but not least (because I bought it) is the all-Koa K24ce V-Class. Since I have Martin Rosies and hogs, I wanted something different: smaller than a dread, with electronics, different tonewood. Oh, BTW, did I tell you that it is absolutely gorgeous? It is a great contrast to my Martins plus I bought an amp and can now play amplified. It has covered a lot of bases that my Martins did not. So....there are a lot of great new guitars for 2018. Figure out how you want to fill the void and start trying out some of the new hardware. It is the best of times in the guitar market. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
That one is on my radar. Is yours spruce/rosewood? How has the sound aged?
It’s spruce/East Indian rosewood and it sounds amazing. Everyone who plays it always brags on the sound and the ease of playing!! I’d love to try a new re-voiced 810, but haven’t seen one.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
It’s spruce/East Indian rosewood and it sounds amazing. Everyone who plays it always brags on the sound and the ease of playing!! I’d love to try a new re-voiced 810, but haven’t seen one.
I’ve looked at the new V-class bracing system but it appears they haven’t made it available in the dreadnought size. Just the auditorium I believe. The idea that intonation can be better with the new bracing intrigues me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion