The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM

I think the Yamaha 800s are the best bang for the buck in budget guitars today.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Don’t forget picks too. Only a couple bucks for a basic pack, maybe a mix of sizes to experiment with.
Thanks for the advice on strings as well as making sure I remember the picks. He was learning guitar in school this past year and mentioned another kid had his own pick...so I bought him a variety pack of about 16 that contained different colors and thickness (he seemed to like the thinner ones) - but I'll check out some more tomorrow.

I've also made a note to look at the clip on tuners (although it seems like there are some good ones you can get as an app) and a stand (or wall hang, haven't decided yet). Anything else other than those, the guitar, maybe an extra set of strings, and picks?

Again, thanks to all of you!!!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 06-21-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Also, you might want to buy a guitar strap and string winder. Both are handy to have and not expensive. I also prefer Snark clip on tuners.

Over many years of experimenting with strings I have landed on Elixir strings. Although more expensive, they last much longer than others.

I sincerely hope you and your son will enjoy that Yamaha 800 series guitar. I have the FSX800c and even occasionally gig with it. The FS series are a little smaller than the FG models and I find them more comfortable to play.

Regards,
Paul
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 PM

One guitar will do you both fine for a while. For one thing, your fingers will be a little sore until you build up those callouses, neither of you is likely to sit down with it for long periods of time without a break.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
Also, you might want to buy a guitar strap and string winder. Both are handy to have and not expensive. I also prefer Snark clip on tuners.

Over many years of experimenting with strings I have landed on Elixir strings. Although more expensive, they last much longer than others.

I sincerely hope you and your son will enjoy that Yamaha 800 series guitar. I have the FSX800c and even occasionally gig with it. The FS series are a little smaller than the FG models and I find them more comfortable to play.

Regards,
Paul
As far as string winder, is something like this sufficient? https://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddari...nder-Cutter.gc

Will definitely check out those strings! Might wait until we're good enough to tell the difference between $7 strings and $16 strings though

Thanks...he and I are both ecstatic that circumstances have occurred that will allow us to consider the 800 series from Yamaha!

TripleB

I put the following in another post but thought I'd repeat it here just in case the other one has run it's course

What other accessories or necessary items do we need to look at while we are there?
- Picks (we already have a variety of about 16 in different thicknesses and colors....he seems to like the thinner ones and I like the mediums)
- Tuner (Korg PC1 Pitchclip is $12 there and the Snark SN-8 is $13 online, but some have said there are some great tuner apps that work just as well as clip on ones)
- Stand (Proline HT1010 gets good reviews and is on sale for $17)
- Case (Road Runner RR1AG is $38 and gets great reviews; but the Musicians Gear MGA20 may be good enough for us right now and it's only $22)
- Strings (extra set): have no clue what I should be looking for here...maybe .010 or .011 since we are both starting out; possibly D'Addario EJ, Ernie Ball Earthwood, Martin MSP

- Capo...probably not needed yet ($16.96 for a Kyser Quick Change one or $18.69 for Shubb Original C Series Steel String)

Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 PM

If you are on a budget, why spend on unnecessary accessories?
String winder/ pin puller is $2 online.
No need for a case unless you re planning on carrying it outside.
String cutter no need. You probably have tools already.
Tuner no need. Download app on your phone for free.
You don't even need new strings for at least few months.
All you need is guitar, stand and picks.
Capo is nice to have but not needed to start learning.
Case if you carry it outside.
Others are for comfort and great if you can spend.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
If you are on a budget, why spend on unnecessary accessories?
Thank you!

Being a newbie I wasn't sure which items were must haves and which items were it's nice to haves.

The "local" guitar shop is about 70 minutes away so I was going to make sure I got what I needed while I was there.

TripleB
Old 06-22-2018, 08:10 AM

The thing about most guitarists is that they collect gear faster than a dog gathers fleas. I must have a dozen straps and only 3 guitars. Picks are free from big jar at my local Guitar Center, so extras are always easy to pick up when I'm there. I must have 3 string winders around here somewhere. I have 4 tuners but only use my phone nowadays. A stand is a good idea when you don't have a hard case, but they were on sale for $9.99 a couple of weeks ago.

Online is a great way to stretch your dollar, but don't forget online buy-sell pages. I have saved a ton of money buying used guitars and gear on them. A lot of it was unused or very close to it.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperrob View Post
Thanks Davis - after I sent this reply, I was wondering if the Martin lovers would be giving me grief over this remark

I have an FG-310, for the record and it sounds great.
I am a Martin owner but I play my Yamaha more!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

To the OP: I was floored by the sound and quality of the FS800, primarily due to the scalloped bracing they incorporated into the 800 line. At under $200, I think it's a fine guitar for anyone . . . beginner or advanced. It's wonderful in the Vintage Tint too!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 AM

TripleB,

I've never used a folding string winder, just the generic plastic ones sold for a couple of bucks. Also, I've never used a phone app tuner, just think the Snark clip on maybe more accurate.

Also, keep in mind that some retailers (especially online) sell this stuff as a "bundle", often for the same or little more cost than the guitar itself.

Paul
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 06-22-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Thank you!

Being a newbie I wasn't sure which items were must haves and which items were it's nice to haves.

The "local" guitar shop is about 70 minutes away so I was going to make sure I got what I needed while I was there.

TripleB
In that case (70 miles drive), I'd get a set of strings in case you break one.
Other things you can order online and wait.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:35 PM

As someone else suggested, you might look into a bundle type offer with the FG800 as it’s a popular entry-level model. For instance, Kraft Music has a deal that includes a basic gig bag, strap, strings, winder, picks, and book... as well as a $25 gift card — at the same $199 price that most — including themselves — list the guitar at. Not bad.

Another idea is that many music retailers will be doing 4th of July promos in the coming days — I think I’ve already seen an email or two — which you may be able to use to your advantage to get a discount on the Yamaha. Sometimes you have to call to get the discount as many manufacturers won’t allow the discount to be taken online. And sometimes you can get another retailer to match or beat a discount/bundle offered by a competitor.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that whether buying a bundle or using a holiday promo to your advantage, you should be able to get more than just the guitar for $200, so don’t feel like you need to spend on top of that to get a few basics!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion