The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy View Post
...if they can accurately transcribe to notation or TABS, the fingering that Mississippi John Hurt employs on "Casey Jones".

Every one I've looked at on the 'net is a very simple one and does not capture all the notes and fingering he is using.
AFAIK there are a few different recordings of that one. If you can point me to a youtube link of the one you want, I'd be happy to take it on. No win, no fee .
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Default JonPR

Thanks for the offer as this one is driving me nuts, making me think there are 2-3 guitarists or it's played on a 12-string, which seems to be the majority opinion.

I'll even pay for you to download it from Apple I tunes, "Avalon Blues" , number 14 on the list. You get the first :30 free, and I'll pay the .99 if you buy it to have a full version to attempt it.

I am waiting with bait on my breath!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the offer as this one is driving me nuts, making me think there are 2-3 guitarists or it's played on a 12-string, which seems to be the majority opinion.

I'll even pay for you to download it from Apple I tunes, "Avalon Blues" , number 14 on the list. You get the first :30 free, and I'll pay the .99 if you buy it to have a full version to attempt it.
Sorry I don't currently use iTunes. (I did once, but haven't for a long time, and now it's telling me I need to re-install it.)

Is it the same as this version?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=dm_mu_dp_trk7

If so, I can't find the full track anywhere else. I'll PM you my email, so you can attach an MP3 by reply.
(Definitely one guitar, btw, and sounds like a 12-string.)

I have found a few other versions - all apparently on 6-string - which are basically the same arrangement (allowing for the variations one would expect from MJH over the years).
No need to send me your track (or pay me!), if one of these will do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfG3s10mfxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiH94ywyb8w
IOW, I'm happy to transcribe one of his 6-string versions (whichever one I decide is best) for free. It would then be up to you to adapt it to get it closer to the 12-string version if you want.
(I can include a transcription of this free clip, for comparison.)

But then I'm guessing you can find tab for the other versions online... ?
Quote:
I am waiting with bait on my breath!
What am I, a fish?
(You mean your breath is "bated" - held - not baited...... see this is the kind of pedantic attention to detail you can expect from my transcriptions... )

Last edited by JonPR; 06-11-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Default JonPR

Yes, the Amazon version is the one that made me think of more than 6 strings and the one I love best.

But either of the other youtube versions is fine and captures most of his nuanced fingerpicking. I have three downloaded tabs which do not capture the 'music' in his versions, just some basic 101 type tabs.

If you could do one of the others, I'd love to see it.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 AM

Hi everyone,
I am relatively new to this forum,and i am pretty much interested in doing transcriptions.....!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Amazon version is the one that made me think of more than 6 strings and the one I love best.

But either of the other youtube versions is fine and captures most of his nuanced fingerpicking. I have three downloaded tabs which do not capture the 'music' in his versions, just some basic 101 type tabs.

If you could do one of the others, I'd love to see it.
I've just finished transcribing what seems to be the most common 6-string version (crops up on more albums than the others).
The 12-string is not significantly different - he uses the same arrangement in every version I've found. The guitar is tuned down a whole step and he's paying in G (sounding as F). There's another good quality 6-string version where he's also playing tuned down a whole-step, but my source version is in EADGBE.

I can send you a PDF if you PM me with your email. (It includes notation of guitar and vocal, as well as tab.)
Old 10-30-2015, 04:52 AM

Default TAB for When i fall in love - arranged by Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I will tentatively offer my services here. I've transcribed probably 100s of fingerstyle pieces over the years (decades) - mostly for my own use, sometimes for lessons.

I've not charged for it so far (unless you count fees for lessons which include the transcriptions), but I'm happy to discuss terms if anyone wants to PM me.

(I can send samples of previous efforts to show typical results.)

Hope this isn't regarded as spam...

Hey JonPR
I'd love to learn this arrangement of "When i Fall in Love"
Can you help?
I appreciate your time and willing to pay for TAB, lesson or whatever it maybe.
Thanks
Dejan_deki

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write