The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Best TWO Options?
Rogue RD80 $49.99 0 0%
Ibanez GD10 $119.99 5 7.81%
Epiphone PRO-1 $129.00 3 4.69%
Yamaha F335 $129.99 55 85.94%
Epiphone PR150 $129.99 6 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2018, 08:50 PM

Its funny that this poll popped up, because I just compiled a short list the other night of inexpensive ("cheap") acoustics that come with a solid top. The list includes the following:

* Mitchell ME1
* Yamaha 700 & 800 series
* Yamaha FDO1
* Epiphone Pro-1 Plus (only the "Plus" series--not the regular Pro-1)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot on GC, but I can't find any decent 'smaller than a dreadnought' acoustic guitars under $130.

Which I find strange...I thought companies would create those in order to get customers loving guitar playing at a young age by making a decent smaller guitar at a price parents don't mind paying.

TripleB
Well like I mentioned and as others have posted, that $130 budget is a bit limiting. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait a little bit longer and save up some more dough for a Yamaha 800 series or another guitar that's a step up from what you're targeting right now.

Also since you're on such a tight budget, I would recommend that once you and your son figure out which guitar feels right, you scour Reverb, Music-Go-Round, or even the used section on Guitar Center and Sam Ash's sites for good deals on the guitars you like.

For instance, here's a used FS800 (retails for $200) for only $140: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...r-114210374.gc
Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 06-21-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:38 AM

I would definitely go for the Yamaha. Their guitars are great quality across all price points!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot on GC, but I can't find any decent 'smaller than a dreadnought' acoustic guitars under $130.

Which I find strange...I thought companies would create those in order to get customers loving guitar playing at a young age by making a decent smaller guitar at a price parents don't mind paying.

TripleB
Um, no offense, please, but what do you expect? We're talking a musical instrument, not some gaming console. In fact, most gaming consoles cost much, much more. I remember my parents (who were anything but wealthy) shelling out more than $1,000 for a "cheap, student-grade clarinet," and that was in the 1980s. I think we have become so used to the cheap c**p made in China that it interferes with our perspective on how much things are worth. In my opinion, having the option of being able to buy a guitar for a little over 100 bucks that's also playable and decent-sounding is nothing short of a miracle, only made possible because of economic realities that are not exactly fair to everybody involved. This is not a criticism by any means, just some food for thought. Kudos for encouraging your young ones to play!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-21-2018, 01:04 PM

you'll have to go play them all to make that decision. none seem to me to be of very good quality.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Well like I mentioned and as others have posted, that $130 budget is a bit limiting. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait a little bit longer and save up some more dough for a Yamaha 800 series or another guitar that's a step up from what you're targeting right now.

Also since you're on such a tight budget, I would recommend that once you and your son figure out which guitar feels right, you scour Reverb, Music-Go-Round, or even the used section on Guitar Center and Sam Ash's sites for good deals on the guitars you like.

For instance, here's a used FS800 (retails for $200) for only $140: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...r-114210374.gc
This is the exact same advice that I've given before in 2-3 other threads, as have probably a half-dozen or so other people.. at the end of the day, it's your choice, but I find it a bit confusing that those other guitars are still even on that list, to be quite honest. If size is a concern, absolutely don't go with that Epiphone (a laminate top) - wait until you can get a concert or folk sized Yamaha, even if you have to order it from a GC across the country.

Hope you come away with a good guitar; I can't stress enough how much I +1 pagedr's advice above about getting a FS800 or at least FS700 .. it's the difference between a quality instrument you can have & enjoy for years, and just all-around poor quality. and when they're used, they're basically the same price...maybe just barely over your $130 budget, but FULLY 2-3x the quality of anything else mentioned thus far. I know you're working with limited funds, but you'd be doing yourself a huge favor.

Of your list, the only one I'd consider is the Yamaha, although it's not the model I'd recommend... Hopefully your GC might have an FS730 or 800 used in stock, but either way, good luck to you. Hope you come away with something decent and above all, playable! overall I applaud what you're doing to get the kiddo into playing.

Cheers and good luck!!!

SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-21-2018, 01:52 PM

in the interest of keeping to the rules of the poll, if I had to pick a 2nd option, it would (begrudgingly) be the epi PR150. but I think you'd still do much better to go the other route and find an FS700, FS730, FS800 etc etc .

good luck
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-21-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the advice on the size being important...that's one of the reason I was leaning towards the Epiphone Pro-1. It's supposed to have several features that makes it easier for younger players: thinner neck, thinner strings, jumbo frets, shorter scale length, etc.

Some information I left out (but just added): my son just turned 11, is heading into 7th grade, is 5'3" tall, and weighs 150 pounds (he's a big boy).

But I'll definitely look at him holding different sizes tomorrow!

TripleB
I'm an adult that is the same height and weight (i'm asian). Dreads/OMs etc... all fine. don't worry about all that mess. My little brother started playing guitar at age 8 on a seagull dread and now he's bananas on the guitar at age 27. I wouldn't worry about all that size stuff.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Guest 33123

Actually I think this is the Best Buy:

Old 06-21-2018, 02:47 PM

A quick search yielded almost endless "concert" or "OM" size guitars under $200 at GC. You can likely get 10-15% off any of these guitars at any time at a GC if you nicely push just a little bit.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the advice on the size being important...that's one of the reason I was leaning towards the Epiphone Pro-1. It's supposed to have several features that makes it easier for younger players: thinner neck, thinner strings, jumbo frets, shorter scale length, etc.

Some information I left out (but just added): my son just turned 11, is heading into 7th grade, is 5'3" tall, and weighs 150 pounds (he's a big boy).

But I'll definitely look at him holding different sizes tomorrow!

TripleB
Hi TripleB

Since it seems you are going to Guitar Center...see if they have something nice used in stock, that may be an even higher level guitar for around the same money.

As a thought...check into several just slightly older models, the FG700s, The FG730s, and the FS700s. Those all have solid tops and are wonderful guitars. The FG700s is a sitka/mahogany dread, the FG730s is Sitka/ Rosewood dread, and the FS700s is a smaller OM size/shape Sitka/Mahogany.

GC usually has some of those used in many of their stores, or certainly a bunch of them throughout their chain that they can get to your store very quickly.

Check them out...really great guitars!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Your 11 year old is 5'3" and 150 lbs???

Don't waste time getting him a guitar. Spend the money on a good summer football camp. Then 10 years from now have him buy you a guitar with his NFL signing bonus. LOL
Old 06-21-2018, 06:13 PM

Thanks to everyone for all of your honest opinions, votes, help, advice, and words of encouragement!

My son and I are heading out tomorrow to look for our first acoustic guitar...he is soooooo excited!!!

It appears that a true miracle happened today and it looks as though we are going to be able to afford a better guitar that will add greatly to the enjoyment of my 11 year old and I learning to play the guitar together!!!

Because of this unforeseen miracle, I think we are going to be able to actually afford a $200 guitar (don't anyone say you should push your budget to $250, $300, etc.) as well as some accessories!!!

I feel so much better knowing that we will be able to purchase a much better guitar that will bring us many more years of enjoyment and ease of play than if we had to "settle" for one of the ones I listed.

Of course it will be a mutual decision and we will ultimately go with the one my son chooses (with probably some guidance from his dad), but with three different color options in each one, I'm thinking we may be getting either the Yamaha FG800 or the FS800!!! For the price it seems many people here feel like that's as good as we can do!

What other accessories or necessary items do we need to look at while we are there?
- Picks (we already have a variety of about 16 in different thicknesses and colors....he seems to like the thinner ones and I like the mediums)
- Tuner (Korg PC1 Pitchclip is $12 there and the Snark SN-8 is $13 online, but some have said there are some great tuner apps that work just as well as clip on ones)
- Stand (Proline HT1010 gets good reviews and is on sale for $16)
- Case (Road Runner RR1AG is $36 and gets great reviews; but the Musicians Gear MGA20 may be good enough for us right now and it's only $20)
- Strings (extra set): have no clue what I should be looking for here...maybe well known brand (Martin, D'Addario), thinner set since we are both new (.010?), not very expensive until we get to the point we know what we like ($6-$8).

- Capo...probably not needed yet ($16.96 for a Kyser Quick Change one or $18.69 for Shubb Original C Series Steel String)

Thank you again for all of the help!!!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 06-21-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
For an 11 yeqar old you should be thinking about size. Most of these are full scale dreads, and a sure way to kill interest for smaller hands.

Think seriously about what you're buying, it isn't exclusively about price. The best "bargain" in the world is the worst if it triggers a lifetime of avoiding playing a guitar.
Big+1 for this. Have him sit in the playing position with any guitar you are looking at and see how comfortable he can reach around it. Also take note of the thickness of the neck, make sure he can comfortable wrap his hand around it. Some smaller bodied guitars have very thick necks. I have seen a lot of younger players quit because their parents bought them the wrong guitar and they just assume they weren't cut out to play because it is too hard for them, not knowing the myriad other options available.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion