The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I think the input from people who have played these new V-braced guitars is good. It's more information, and it's coming from someone who doesn't have anything to sell.

It's absolutely true that information about what someone else thinks about the sound of a guitar does not tell me what I need to know about whether or not I should be buying one. But it's information, and it's helpful in evaluating some of Taylor's claims, though not all their claims.

It would take a lot to get me to buy another guitar. In fact, I promised my wife that there would be no more. At this stage, I have plenty of really nice guitars. I haven't yet gotten around to playing one of the hot Andy Powers' X-braced guitars. I wonder how long it will take before I get to play one of the new V-braced guitars?...

I liked Eltjo's (Picker2) comments. Very interesting.

- Glenn
Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Default I played it

I played the V bracing Taylor builder's edition K14CE and 914CE last week. I compared it to the X bracing 914CE which was available in the store.

Is the V bracing of the K14CE good? Most definitely! It has more volume, resonant better and I can hear very good clarity of notes.

However, what's the difference of the 914CE with V and X bracing? Well, I can only say that they somehow sounded different. Is the former better than the latter, I don't think so. Do I really like the sound of the V bracing? Well, I'm actually quite indifferent to it.

Now the question is, if I have the intention to buy a 914CE now, will I pay the extra $$ to buy the latest one with V bracing? Nope. It sounded different but not better. Somehow, I still like the sound of the X bracing on the 914CE and it's also cheaper.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM

I own one guitar—a custom HD28V in Guatemalan Rosewood. I love the way it sounds and plays. I was so impressed with this Martin that I placed a custom order for an Adi/Sinker dread to cover the mahogany base which is due in November. So I guess I could be fairly called a “Martin Guy”.

One day, I wandered into our local Sam Ash just to see what Martins they carry. Turns out, not much. But, they have an entire wall of new Taylors including many of the high end guitars. I asked why so many. The obvious answer, “because that’s what sells.”

I was immediately drawn to the beauty and obvious ergonomic innovation of the Builders Edition K14ce. Now, remember my background. Martin dreads only. This guitar stunned me. The overtones and sustain reminded me of my HD28V. I had never played a torrified spruce nor a Koa bodied guitar. Played alone, this guitar impressed me, Mr. “I don’t care if it’s not a Martin.” So, I tried another. A 514ce with cedar top. Being a Martin Guy, I’d never seen nor even heard of cedar tops. I really appreciate aesthetics of a fine guitar and first impression was, I love this color. Sat down to play it. Stunned. Very impressive. First time I played a guitar that “spoke to me”. If I didn’t have a much more expensive custom hog on order with Martin, I would have bought this guitar on the spot. This is one great guitar, I don’t care what others sound like. In the past couple of weeks, I have been back to play both guitars twice more, so three times total. I’m sold. I ended up buying a V-Class K24ce all Koa which is due in next week.

Come to find out that Taylor is sold out of Koa and stopped accepting orders on June 8. They are selling the crap out of these guitars. I wonder how many other “Martin guys” have finally opened their eyes to Taylor because of their innovation? It strikes me as significant that Taylor is trying to innovate to make guitars better than they’ve ever been while Martin’s version of “innovation” is to make their guitars sound like they’re 80 years old.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 06-21-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:35 PM

It seems to me the new V braced guitars are going to be a hard sell. My local GC has a new Taylor 814ce DLX V-Class Grand Auditorium Acoustic-Electric and a x braced model to compare both priced at $3999 and so far after 3 weeks no one has bought the V braced one but they have sold one of the X braced ones. Personally I also think the X braced one sounded better. I did think the V braced guitar was louder but the X braced guitar had a fuller tone, but that is just my opinion.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

It won't be too long before folks start to sound like car owners: "Yup! Got a V-6, runs right smooth" (Taylor with V-bracing, six strings, plays like "butter").

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
I own one guitar—a custom HD28V in Guatemalan Rosewood. I love the way it sounds and plays. I was so impressed with this Martin that I placed a custom order for an Adi/Sinker dread to cover the mahogany base which is due in November. So I guess I could be fairly called a “Martin Guy”.

One day, I wandered into our local Sam Ash just to see what Martins they carry. Turns out, not much. But, they have an entire wall of new Taylors including many of the high end guitars. I asked why so many. The obvious answer, “because that’s what sells.”

I was immediately drawn to the beauty and obvious ergonomic innovation of the Builders Edition K14ce. Now, remember my background. Martin dreads only. This guitar stunned me. The overtones and sustain reminded me of my HD28V. I had never played a torrified spruce nor a Koa bodied guitar. Played alone, this guitar impressed me, Mr. “I don’t care if it’s not a Martin.” So, I tried another. A 514ce with cedar top. Being a Martin Guy, I’d never seen nor even heard of cedar tops. I really appreciate aesthetics of a fine guitar and first impression was, I love this color. Sat down to play it. Stunned. Very impressive. First time I played a guitar that “spoke to me”. If I didn’t have a much more expensive custom hog on order with Martin, I would have bought this guitar on the spot. This is one great guitar, I don’t care what others sound like. In the past couple of weeks, I have been back to play both guitars twice more, so three times total. I’m sold. I ended up buying a V-Class K24ce all Koa which is due in next week.

Come to find out that Taylor is sold out of Koa and stopped accepting orders on June 8. They are selling the crap out of these guitars. I wonder how many other “Martin guys” have finally opened their eyes to Taylor because of their innovation? It strikes me as significant that Taylor is trying to innovate to make guitars better than they’ve ever been while Martin’s version of “innovation” is to make their guitars sound like they’re 80 years old.
Glad you found a great guitar you love!

My experience has been just the opposite. I’ve tried to like Taylors. Superb playability and top-notch craftmanship in the highend models. I’ve owned a number of them in the last several years, including a 814 and 812e 12-fret. But ultimately I just couldn’t get along with Taylor’s bright tone. Nothing wrong with it...just not for me. Ends up I’m pretty much a Martin/Gibson guy.

Haven’t tried the V bracing yet. But I’m in no hurry to do so because everything I’ve heard so far indicates it’s just another take on the Taylor tone. Some like it; some don’t. Either way, still sounds like a Taylor to me.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:00 PM

I played a V-Taylor the other day in the local GC, but was unable to A/B compare it with a similar model with X bracing. Ultimately, that would be the only way identify a preference for someone like me with limited Taylor experience.

What I noticed, however, is that the guitar seemed unusually heavy. This is perhaps where my predilection for Martin guitars comes through. Granted, the Taylor was a cutaway acoustic/electric, so it already carried extra weight, but still it didn't impress me as something I'd want hanging on my shoulder for a long set.

Sounded okay, otherwise. There was an all-walnut Taylor cutaway hanging off the next peg that impressed me more, all things considered. And it was clearly lighter than the V-braced guitar.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

It will be nice to try a bunch of the new designs. I have always loved the neck and the 15" radius, fretwork and flat bolt on neck with no falloff into the sound hole is a fast accurate player.

They do have a rattlesnake sizzle for recording. Input KM184 gain just under the high hat rhythm guitar layer. This application really makes some songs sound very, very nice. But at 7 acoustics I probably won't go for an expensive strummer. But I do look forward to sampling them and listen for their nice lush brightness.

Moreover, I have an incoming Goodall coming tomorrow. That should have multiples of tone that will be fun to explore and keep any sleek neck Taylor at bay.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Glad you found a great guitar you love!

My experience has been just the opposite. I’ve tried to like Taylors. Superb playability and top-notch craftmanship in the highend models. I’ve owned a number of them in the last several years, including a 814 and 812e 12-fret. But ultimately I just couldn’t get along with Taylor’s bright tone. Nothing wrong with it...just not for me. Ends up I’m pretty much a Martin/Gibson guy.

Haven’t tried the V bracing yet. But I’m in no hurry to do so because everything I’ve heard so far indicates it’s just another take on the Taylor tone. Some like it; some don’t. Either way, still sounds like a Taylor to me.
I just got back into guitars late last year. I had always (since 1973) put Martin on a pedestal as “the professional’s guitar” because all my guitar heroes from the 60’s and 70’s played them. I really like the one I have. But...as a businessman, I do not like the dead end Martin is heading into with no succession plan for their 62 yo CEO while Bob Taylor has adroitly handled this issue and has the company moving forward. The new product this year is the fruit of those efforts. Taylor is simply a better run business today and better run businesses build better products with better profitability. It will take me a while to get used to my all Koa V Class and the upcoming Martin custom Sinker. But I expect to like and appreciate them all. My collection probably won’t expand beyond three and I want to have three very good and very different guitars. So maybe my goals are different than yours. But as a guy who has put Martin on the top step since 1973, I have to say I really prefer the product I’m seeing from Taylor this year. (See my favorite business quote below).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion