The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Got cha. That makes a bit more sense Clicks, pops, noise and random errors doesn't sound like a hardware issue especially when three consecutive devices, all by different manufactures displayed very similar behavior. Hard to tell of course but that sounds like a clock/sync error which on an iPad most certainly would have been software related.

Just for the benefit of those still contemplating an iPad I'm curious if you tried any other software other than GarageBand? And if not did you try re-installing GarageBand? This feels like a pretty classic case of sample rate errors.
Or could there be a difference between the iPad and the iPad Pro that causes the problems? Maybe the performance of the regular iPad is not enough?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Or could there be a difference between the iPad and the iPad Pro that causes the problems? Maybe the performance of the regular iPad is not enough?
That's what I think.
Using a maginal spec machine as always been a bad plan, I know....
I'm OK just using an iRig Pre with a good microphone in a decent room
Dan
Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDanny View Post
I’m using a old, first edition iPad mini. I’ve never had even a hint of trouble and I’m fairly demanding when it comes to recording environments working well.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I’m using a old, first edition iPad mini. I’ve never had even a hint of trouble and I’m fairly demanding when it comes to recording environments working well.
Alright so then we're back to software issues
Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDanny View Post
Alright so then we're back to software issues
Most likely

I don't wanna get too terribly deep here. zguitz point (I think) was it didn't work for him. I believe and respect that. I'm also certain he had a frustrating time of things. My only point is that since it didn't work for zguitz doesn't mean it doesn't work and in the end folks following this thread deserve to know the distinctions. I think zguitz is on board with that

I tech supported Pro Tools for years and I'm aware of how terribly frustrating tech issues can be and it's clear from zguitz post he got frustrated. Who wouldn't under those circumstances! But my experiences also tells me that 95% of what a customer interprets as a product failure were quite simply, and in the end, set-up failures.

Properly configured the iPad makes a viable recording platform
Old 06-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Hey I totally agree with you guys,
Sorry again, sometimes my posts are so full of unnecessary emotional colors
Dan
Old 06-22-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zguitz View Post
Hey I totally agree with you guys,
Sorry again, sometimes my posts are so full of unnecessary emotional colors
Dan
No need to apologize for sharing your experiences! It just added to an interesting topic and shed some light on the fact that the setup might not work for everybody and that there are software/compatibility factors to consider.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:45 AM

Default iPad Pro recording setup - love it

Just wanted to share that I have had great success using an iPad Pro 12.9, a Roland Rubix 22 USB audio interface, and two AKG P170 small diaphragm condenser mics. I use iRig Recorder 3 software which does both audio and video recording. I really love this setup. When not recording, the iPad Pro is great as a tab music reader with the forScore app.

Christopher
Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 AM

Default NIPD New IPad Day

I love recording on IPads. I’ve owned and used them for years.

My drummer is an engineer with a bunch of gear, so I rely on him for higher fidelity recordings, but I’ve recorded solo albums and have done commercial work with my IPad.

The ApogeeMic+ is terrific, but handle it carefully. It is nowhere near as rugged as a 57. Also, I’d recommend a pop filter for vocals.

As far as a DAW goes, Auria is too complicated for me, and Garage Band is too basic/low fidelity. The perfect DAW for my skill level is the Harmonic Dog DAW. It sounds excellent and is modeled on an old, simple analog interface. I recommend it to anyone who misses the simplicity of a tape deck.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:50 PM

I’ve been recording on iPads for a few years. I’m extremely happy with the iRig Pro Duo - it allows for a powered mic and guitar to be simultaneously fed digitally into the iPad as two separate tracks. I use Cubasis as the software. Cubasis is a pretty powerful DAW with a good amount of built in effects, digital instrument samples (I mostly use the drums) and mixing capabilities. I rarely listen to my stuff and say, ‘gosh I wish the recording quality was better’. I DO listen and think, ‘boy, I wish that guy was a better singer / player.’

IK Multimedia, which makes the iRig, does have a variety of hardware and software products that seem designed for IPad and even IPhone recording. I like their stuff.

Cheers

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD