The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Can't all guitars have the same action?

Hi all! Question about action here. I have my nylon string setup at 4mm and 3,5mm, 12th fret, bass and treble sides respectively. Played a friend's guitar, same measurements and he uses the same strings as I do - the thing buzzes if played a little harder.

I couldn't find any significant differences in nut height or neck angle between our guitars.

He mentioned that the guitar "can't take" low action and that he had another with was 3,5mm and 3mm (bass and treble) which didn't buzz.

Question is, even with same height at the 12th fret, which factors can determine one guitar to buzz and the other not?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:59 PM

Addressing to your question, fret heights do cause the buzzing, it is impossible for each guitar has uniform height of fret. Therefore it is one of the factor.

Another factor causing buzzing is the nut. Once I had a poorly cut not slot on 1st string, the buzz sound is not from hitting of the frets, but rocking motion at the nut slot causing the sound.

Again another factor is wires. if the pickup wires are not managed properly, when playing a note, the wires would collide with the guitar body and causing
wood buzz sound, not metallic ones

As you see, there are millions factors affect the guitars behaviour, it is impossible to have every guitar a same action, but every guitar with the action they would be comfortable with.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:37 AM

Things besides saddle height that affect possible set up height.

Neck relief or lack of.
Height of nut slots
Magnetic pull of pickups
condition of frets/fret wear
proper radius at saddles
String guage
And last but not least on the list.... Player habits/style
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

String tension is a significant factor as well

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
Hi all! Question about action here. I have my nylon string setup at 4mm and 3,5mm, 12th fret, bass and treble sides respectively. Played a friend's guitar, same measurements and he uses the same strings as I do - the thing buzzes if played a little harder.

I couldn't find any significant differences in nut height or neck angle between our guitars.

He mentioned that the guitar "can't take" low action and that he had another with was 3,5mm and 3mm (bass and treble) which didn't buzz.

Question is, even with same height at the 12th fret, which factors can determine one guitar to buzz and the other not?
It's the quality of the fretwork. Better fretwork can take lower action without buzzing.
et al
Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
It's the quality of the fretwork. Better fretwork can take lower action without buzzing.
Great, thanks everyone. What would be a quality fretwork that can take lower action? Would that be the material used, or dressing...?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
Great, thanks everyone. What would be a quality fretwork that can take lower action? Would that be the material used, or dressing...?
It's mostly in the level, crown & polish work. Here I show how I do my fretwork https://howardguitars.blogspot.com/2...tter-than.html
Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
It's mostly in the level, crown & polish work. Here I show how I do my fretwork https://howardguitars.blogspot.com/2...tter-than.html

Excellent Tutorial. Every aspect of the job is well documented and explained. Thank You!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-20-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
Very nice post , thanks for taking so much trouble.
Nick
Old 06-21-2018, 04:46 AM

Default But of course

Yes sure, if you can make each guitar of the exact same materials in flawless exactly the same manner. Am I too skeptical?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair