The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Odd Resonance in Room

I haven’t researched it much but a cursory look has not turned up anything. I recently rearranged my music room/studio and now there is a odd, higher pitched ring when I strum my HD 28. It almost sounds like it could be the tubes in one of my amps vibrating but I haven’t tried removing them yet. It does not seem to be the guitar itself. It is only started since I rearranged the room. Any suggestions as to what may have happened?
Old 06-01-2018, 08:14 PM

Actually I was wrong. It is the guitar itself as I have moved to different rooms in the house and it is still happening. It is a higher pitched ringing or chiming sound that slowly decays and occurs even it the strings are muted after a moderate or hard strum.

Still, any ideas?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:24 AM

I've experienced that before. You probably have a string not seated properly at some point. Some sympathetic vibration somewhere. It'll likely go away when you restring it. Try tuning down and then back up. See if it happens while tuned down. Be sure your ball ends are seated well. Most likely a simple fix. But it's disturbing till you track it down.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
I've experienced that before. You probably have a string not seated properly at some point. Some sympathetic vibration somewhere. It'll likely go away when you restring it. Try tuning down and then back up. See if it happens while tuned down. Be sure your ball ends are seated well. Most likely a simple fix. But it's disturbing till you track it down.

Good luck!
It’s time for a restring anyway. And after further research, it is my G string that is the culprit.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Maybe break angle at the nut?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD