The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Default How to repair dents on classical guitar finish

Hi,

Can someone share experience on repairing the dents on classical finish?

Many thanks!

Last edited by guitarloverhk; 06-05-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 PM

It helps to know what the finish is, at a quick glance it looks like a poly urethane to me, would not purchance be an esteve classical would it?, certainly looks like it from the photos you show.

First identify that the damage is into the wood, so you cannot sand the damage out, being western red cedar (my guess vee photos) its a very soft wood as well.

Because the finish is cracked, you may have some luck steaming the dent, which will allow the wood fibres to relax and hopefully raise the damaged areas.

Once you have the area of damage as flat as you can, then you have to work out the way to repair the finish, that finish has colour / tint in it as well.

Or

You could just fill the whole lot with superglue and hope for the best.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-06-2018, 06:53 AM

The first thing I would do if someone walked into my shop wanting that to be repaired is to try really hard to convince them that it's not necessary

Otherwise, what Steve said. Getting color right is an expert skill that takes natural talent and years to develop. If you are wanting to DIY this then you could make an nonessential situation far far worse.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:23 AM

Repairing mars like that has a high probability of making it worse. Once you do that you'll likely never get past it. It is a beauty-mark in a tool that, to me, adds character. Not on the day you do it but a couple of months later you should be past it and enjoy the guitar. If you're insistent on trying to repair it, you will have to know what the finish is (contact the builder) and find someone who has some experience in finish repair. If it were mine, it would remain as is.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 AM

looking at it, the binding has a lot of gaps and pin holes, so I assume it is a low value guitar
Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 AM

Bit of a tough risk/reward situation there.

The ding can be filled, BUT:

Those tinted classical guitar finishes often have the color layer quite near the surface, so it's extremely easy have a problem leveling a fill, resulting in a much more visible light ring around the filled area after polishing.

Leave it alone, play music. Instruments get little dings and signs of handling if they are actually in use. . .

Frank Ford
Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am unwilling to “repair” any finish issue which does not breach the finish. Even then, I will seal it but recommend against aesthetic considerations as the Noxema is more offensive that the zit. Just accept the dents.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:32 AM

How are you ever going to get it look like Trigger if you worry about every little dent? Play on.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm with you as I just put a similar mark on my Taylor 814 bumping into a music stand-yet I'm with everyone else who says don't worry about it. Like the old joke, you know how you were worried about the first dent in your beautiful guitar? Don't worry any more!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The first thing I would do if someone walked into my shop wanting that to be repaired is to try really hard to convince them that it's not necessary
Totally agree, many times I have made an offensive quote for finish repairs to help that decision making, the worst is when you do the outlandish quote and they say yes go ahead...Dohhhhhhh!!!

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-06-2018, 09:36 PM

"the Noxema is more offensive that the zit"

LOOOL So true and if you pop it, it just makes a bigger mess.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:06 AM

OP.

I think I would call that "relic'd" and move on. Unless the damage is worse in person or you fear is into the wood.

Otherwise I see a "patch" mark on your guitar that you will stare at and want to tinker with.... Forever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair