The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2021, 03:58 AM

Default Pickup Issue

I recently purchased a 10 year old Gibson guitar with a factory installed lr baggs pickup.
When you pluck each individual string 5 of the 6 snap right out. This holds true for whether you hit them open or fret them going up the neck.
The high E string does not.
Instead it has sort of an echo or reverb type sound.
Does anyone have an idea of what could be the problem and how could it be corrected?
Old 05-02-2021, 04:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Dog View Post
I recently purchased a 10 year old Gibson guitar with a factory installed lr baggs pickup.
When you pluck each individual string 5 of the 6 snap right out. This holds true for whether you hit them open or fret them going up the neck.
The high E string does not.
Instead it has sort of an echo or reverb type sound.
Does anyone have an idea of what could be the problem and how could it be corrected?
Take off the strings, pull out the saddle, and very gently lift the pickup out of the slot. If needed reach inside the guitar to make sure that you give the pickup cable some extra help by pushing up on its wire. It should easily slide up through the wire access hole at the end of the saddle slot.

The Baggs saddle element looks like a braided wire, and is quite flexible. It may have just 'slid' down the access hole a little, and just need to be 'pushed' from the inside so that it is completely occupying the saddle slot.

Make sure there is no grit in the slot, and make sure the bottom of the saddle is dead flat.

Some times there is a tiny amount of play in the wire access hole that will allow the pickup to move a fraction toward the treble or bass end, and the string balance can become an issue.

The other important thing is to make sure the saddle is NOT TOO TIGHT in the saddle slot!

It may end up curing the issue.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-03-2021, 03:31 AM

Default Pickup Issue

Thank you, greatly appreciated, I will try that.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:34 AM

one other thing,, often times an unbalanced output issue across the bridge is cause by the base of the saddle not being 100% flat and true.

if this persists, I'd be looking there next.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Hope it works out, but it will still be a UST pickup. Not a fan. SBTs are great for everything but a loud band.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification