The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2021, 01:46 PM

Default Individual "Pedals"...

I've seen many posts from players looking for aparticular pedal to try out with their guitar and thought I'd suggest the option to simply use an inexpensive multi-effects pedal.

In the example shown I'm using a Zoom pedal that sold for $50 new. I programmed one of the user presets to use a single slot, naming it "Any Pedal".
The Zoom has around 100 effects to chose from, here I selected a Graphic EQ from one of the many types of EQs. The next screen shows the sliders to adjust the frequency bands and sets the output level of the effect.

You can just as easily add reverb, chorus, echo, etc. to your user patch if you want multiple effects.

I thought I'd post the suggestion for those players that think you can't use individual effects with one of these pedals.

It's a great way to experiment with your sound and you can program any of the user patches to hold individual or chained effects to your heart's content.

This particular Zoom G1on also has a nice headphone output, 30 second looper, and drum patterns if there's a need of that. There are a lot of these pedals on the market, and they offer an inexpensive way to experiment.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:18 PM

I experimented with a Zoom multi effects pedal for a while. I used a ZOOM G1XFour. As you said it was an inexpensive way to wet ones feet in the effects spectrum. I eventually sold it but don't regret buying, testing, and learning from it. I'm still doing a small amount of buying, testing and learning from other effects pedals and will likely continue to do so.

Last edited by mjh42; 05-02-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:32 PM

Using a multi-effects unit for a single effect occured to me recently when I was looking for a quick way to add reverb to my looping setup when using a different amp than I normally use which didn't have reverb built in.

I hadn't used the Zoom for a long time before that, as I had bought it solely to dip my toe in two button looper use without spending much money. I quickly realized I loved the looper but needed something with longer loop time. I purchased a dedicated looper and set the Zoom G1on multi-effects aside.

Recently I noticed a few different post topics from players looking for single dedicated effect pedals. I wondered why nobody seems to use these low dollar multi-effects pedals when they look for a single use pedal. I pulled mine out and tried it for a few different uses and it worked well for that purpose.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:12 PM

The reason I stopped using my multi effects machine was due to all the a hassle with the software, the presets, the fiddling around. Mine came with about 40 presets and 10 open spaces. All the presets had 5 separate inputs (pedal effects, amp modeling, etc) each with it's own ability to change settings, modify, adjust. And the names/vocabulary of the settings was inane. There were also issues with internal memory, there was so much already stored on the machine I could not add to the open space without deleting what was already on the machine.
I finally started to delete settings I was not using and making my own settings, which I suppose eventually most people would get around to. Then to make all the changes I had to hook up the machine to my desk top or lap top to make all the changes. The software from Zoom was problematic and I ended up using an after market software Tone something or other. It worked better. I got tired to going back and forth to the laptop to make changes and adjustments, testing it out and the back again. With the dedicated pedals, I can see and adjust the dials as I'm sitting there with everything on, plugged in and ready to roll. I suppose some people have everything in one place and can dial in a multi-effects pedal with the software, the amp, the instrument and everything....that was not my case.
As with most things in life one has to be dedicated to learning the system that they are dealing with and be willing to spend the time to do so. Even some the stomp box dial at your feet pedals can get pretty complicated as well.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:02 AM

mjh42,

A very fair reason to steer clear of a multi-effects pedal!

I think many of the manufacturers have gone towards adding a computer into the programming of their pedals to try to make it "easier" for the player. I tend to stay away from that sort of thing for a variety of reasons.

The G1on shown above doesn't resort to that for programming. Once you figure out how to do editing for the effects chains it isn't difficult to do.

For us players who want simplicity the multi-effects pedals are really overkill and 99% of the factory presets are really designed to increase testosterone levels for the type of player who spends their Saturday morning in the electric guitar section of the local Guitar Center.

As with any other product that can be packed with a wide variety of usefulness the multi-effect pedal can be a useful tool or a vexation of spirit!
Old 05-01-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've seen many posts from players looking for aparticular pedal to try out with their guitar and thought I'd suggest the option to simply use an inexpensive multi-effects pedal.

In the example shown I'm using a Zoom pedal that sold for $50 new. I programmed one of the user presets to use a single slot, naming it "Any Pedal".
The Zoom has around 100 effects to chose from, here I selected a Graphic EQ from one of the many types of EQs. The next screen shows the sliders to adjust the frequency bands and sets the output level of the effect.

You can just as easily add reverb, chorus, echo, etc. to your user patch if you want multiple effects.

I thought I'd post the suggestion for those players that think you can't use individual effects with one of these pedals.

It's a great way to experiment with your sound and you can program any of the user patches to hold individual or chained effects to your heart's content.

This particular Zoom G1on also has a nice headphone output, 30 second looper, and drum patterns if there's a need of that. There are a lot of these pedals on the market, and they offer an inexpensive way to experiment.

This is a great idea Rudy4! With multi effects pedals, the temptation is always to add more. I actually just tried this with a Zoom A1 Four. Just using the eq and reverb. I took away the guitar modeling and compressor and the tone is much more natural, less bloated. Thanks man!
Old 05-01-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I have a Zoom G3. I hate the foot switches, trying to push both at the same time, can’t be used to change settings, etc. I couldn’t imagine trying to perform live with one. Not impressed with the amp modelers either.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:41 AM

I have the same pedal and used to gig with it. Most of the presets stink (seems to be the case w/many multi fx pedals for some reason) but there are lots of good effects in there. I got some really great surf tones with the reverb and tremolo kicked in.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-01-2021, 04:51 PM

I use a Boss GT-6. It is in no way meant for acoustic playing! If you are familiar with this machine you are probably laughing right now. The myriad of options is mind bending, geared to the hard rocker. However, it is easy to program in what you want. I use the staples: chorus, delay, tuner, etc. This thing does way more than what I need it to do. It is probably frustrated with me as it surely wants to scream and that just ain't happening. On occasion I will play around with the auto-wah, flanger, etc. To trade in and pick up individual pedals would not make $$$ sense.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:15 PM

I'm actually currently debating whether to get a Boss DS1 or Line6 M5 as my first pedal. My concern with the M5 is exactly what mjh42 mentions, that I'll spend more time fiddling with the pedal than actually playing the guitar.

Have other folks had similar experiences ?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 05-02-2021, 10:02 AM

The Zoom MS-50G (and also Zoom MS-70G) are slightly updated versions of the stomp box format “single pedal” multi FX thing. The MS-70G is particularly well suited to an acoustic player, with a very wide variety of reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, EQ, and other effects, and no need (or ability) to use the companion Mac/PC software to load effects onto the pedal. The MS-70G has no amp modeling though, so if you must have amp modeling then you’ll need to get the MS-50G (and deal with the crappy companion software).

I have one of these on my board right now, and it replaces a reverb, a delay, and a chorus pedal so saves some space. The factory-loaded presets are useless for acoustic, I deleted them all. I have a half dozen custom presets punched in that sound great to me. You can put it into a mode where it cycles through the presets by hitting the pedal. The effects are all quite good (but I prefer to have a dedicated EQ and compressor pedal so am not using it for that). You do have to spend a bit of time dialing in your preferred custom presets at first, but the pedal interface is reasonably simple and I’m now able to tweak the presets very easily if I need to.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I've been looking at multi effects pedals, not the cheap ones either. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about them though. I wonder when I look at them if I can lighten the load and find a single pedal that would take the place of the board that I carry around now. Not that it is that inconvenient to pick it up and carry it.

First off, I'm pretty specific about my needs. I have a three pedal setup that I did not assemble myself, my guitar teacher helped me. I also added a fourth myself into the mix. I have a tuner and a small DI box in the chain as well. I do know that the order of the effects in the chain was important when he helped me set it up. So with these multi effects pedals, can you get more than one effect out of it and if so can you simulate a particular order?

The second thing, I went through three reverb pedals, cheaper ones, before I got some help. I found out that not all reverbs are created equal. I settled on the Wampler Reflections Reverb pedal on the spring setting. It has its own particular sound that fits with what I'm doing. Same with my other two pedals in the chain. They each have a specific sound. Can you pick a particular reverb or are you just given a preset generic one that they have chosen?

By the way, I'll add that this setup was for my Les Paul electric but I have found it works great with both my acoustics.

Thanks, I'm still learning.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-02-2021, 01:42 PM

I cannot speak for each kind of multi effects pedal but with the Zoom G1 and A1 & variants you can link the effects in the order that you wish. One could have only 1 effect or as many as 5 effects for a particular numbered setting.

So Setting 23 might have Reverb--Delay--Chorus--Equalizer---Amp Mod

Setting 24 might have Reverb----Overdrive---Equalizer

Setting 25 might have Reverb---Tremolo---Phaser--Amp Mod--Amp Mod.

Many possible combinations once you hook up the machine to the software online.

I thought about buying the T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic to cover most everything I wanted. The cost kind of put me off and I'm so much of an amature. But when I look at what I have spent on a dozen pedals give or take to figure out the 6 or so that I am working with the most. I likely would have spent less. No complaints about the learning and listening process though to see what works for me.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I've been looking at multi effects pedals, not the cheap ones either. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about them though. I wonder when I look at them if I can lighten the load and find a single pedal that would take the place of the board that I carry around now. Not that it is that inconvenient to pick it up and carry it.

First off, I'm pretty specific about my needs. I have a three pedal setup that I did not assemble myself, my guitar teacher helped me. I also added a fourth myself into the mix. I have a tuner and a small DI box in the chain as well. I do know that the order of the effects in the chain was important when he helped me set it up. So with these multi effects pedals, can you get more than one effect out of it and if so can you simulate a particular order?

The second thing, I went through three reverb pedals, cheaper ones, before I got some help. I found out that not all reverbs are created equal. I settled on the Wampler Reflections Reverb pedal on the spring setting. It has its own particular sound that fits with what I'm doing. Same with my other two pedals in the chain. They each have a specific sound. Can you pick a particular reverb or are you just given a preset generic one that they have chosen?

By the way, I'll add that this setup was for my Les Paul electric but I have found it works great with both my acoustics.

Yes, even on cheaper multi effects pedals like my Zoom G1Xom has multiple options for several different reverbs and you can set all the parameters within each setting. You can also assemble "blocks" of effects and put each effect in the place on the chain you prefer.

The Zoom stuff is tremendous "bang for your buck" multi effects gear and ideal to learn on. You can get great tones out of them, but it does involve a good deal of time and fiddling to get the specific sounds you want - at least most of the time.

I prefer analog effects. There are several multi effect analog pedals on the market now too. Nux Cerberus. Mooer Red Truck and Black Truck. The Tech 21 Flyrigs can also be used as a mini pedalboard and the effects, though limited, are quite good.

I gigged out a LOT in 2019 and was toting an enormous pedalboard around. Never again. I want small, simple and functional. Way less spaghetti and things to go wrong too.

You should start your own thread about this - you will get lots of info from some very knowledgeable folks here.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-02-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post

The inexpensive one I show has the ability to change the order of effects to anything you want. It also has several different reverbs to chose from. I'd assume most multi-effects could do those things, too. (I see Roy already provided the same answer.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification