The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-15-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

In the fall I'm going to spend some time recording 10-15 tunes. Given the opportunity, would you use a different guitar for each tune or would you stick with one guitar for consistency?
On every CD that I've done, I've used at least 6 guitars. I'm just sitting here trying to remember every instrument that I've played on my CDs, and it's pretty tough to remember. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two guitars, but this is what I remember, and I feel each one of these CDs had a consistent sound from track to track, so I don't really think you have to stick with one guitar, it's more about the way you play and your songs, that defines the sound.

These are my CDs and what I used...

Voice From The Blue: Standard Gibson J45 (borrowed from a friend), Martin SP00016TR, Larrivee Parlor, Gretsch DuoJet, Gibson USA Les Paul Standard, Fender Strat, Johnson Style O knockoff reso, Fender Mandolin.

Soul Of A Man: Ibanez AG85 Archtop, Martin SP00016TR, Martin 00015M, Gibson Les Paul, 1965 Gibson ES-125, Fender Mandolin, National Western D Reso, Fender Strat, Larrivee Parlor

Precious Metal: Martin 00028 Eric Clapton, Martin SP00016TR, Martin 00015M, Gretsch DuoJet, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Strat, National Polychrome Tricone, 1965 Supro Lexington, Johnson Style O knockoff reso (with a new neck made by John Walsh), Breedlove Mandolin, National Western D Reso, 1960's Univox Hi-Flyer Bass, 1958 Fender Precision Bass, Bernard Allen Mandolin

Folker: National Polychrome Tricone, Parkwood LE061, Gibson Historic Les Paul, Heritage H150, Weber Roundbody, National Triolian, National Western D reso, Martin HD28, Gretsch Country Gentleman, Oahu Lapsteel, Martin D17M, Breedlove mandolin, National M2, 1979 Gibson Gospel

Alma Sings The Blues: Gibson Historic SG Special, Gibson 50's J45 Reissue, 1964 Gibson J45, Martin HD28, Gretsch 6120T '55VS, Weber Roundbody, Kramer DM4001 bass.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I tend to use the guitar that best suits the song I'm recording. However, I think I could make one guitar work for me in a pinch. It would not be optimal though. If I have maybe 5 guitars, I think I could cover 99 percent of my needs. That's not counting electric guitars, just acoustics.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:17 PM

In my current project I've "released" more than 500 pieces in past few years. Many of them have acoustic guitar on them, and I've used all of the acoustic guitars in my .sig and some others too. Beside the noticeable, major things, like 12-string, resonator, and nylon string, I do think (like others up thread) that I "need" or would prefer a particular regular ol'6 string acoustic guitar for a particular piece.

I suspect more than half of that is an illusion. I think I know my guitars, but I don't keep session notes, and lots of times I can't tell which guitar I used when listen back a few months or years later. That illusion, or something about how it plays that the pure listener rather than the operator in real time can't hear, made me choose when I was recording.

If you have the time to choose (and maybe re-choose, and choose again), if the logistics of hauling your stuff aren't considerable, if you like variety and may even be inspired by "lucky socks" or "mojo," then by all means use many or all of your guitars. If these things constrain you to one or two guitars, it probably won't hurt your project.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-22-2021, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
Um...uh...

lol
My wife was looking over my shoulder as I looked at that post... she said, "But, you don't get to look at them!" She likes me to have guitars on the wall in my music room.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My wife was looking over my shoulder as I looked at that post... she said, "But, you don't get to look at them!" She likes me to have guitars on the wall in my music room.
I'd need a much bigger house...lol. I prefer to keep only the ones I'm currently playing out of the case!

A bunch of stuff...lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD