The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Default New original: "All Blew Away"

Hey all,

OK, just finished this one and would love some critiques. It's inspired generally by the fear or uncertainty that I think most parents/spouses feel when it comes to the wellbeing of loved ones. More specifically, I've spent too many hours in the basement in the past month due to tornado warnings and I think it's starting to drive me batty.

I tried real hard to follow advice given here and not bury my voice in the mix. This one was a bear for me to mix because of all the "multi-use" tracks that required on-the-fly adjustments.

Also, from a song-writing perspective, I'm realizing there's a SUPER fine line between heartfelt and corny. Not sure if that's an objectively discernible line, and I can't tell yet if I just danced on the edge or fell over it face first.

Critiques and advice welcome.

All Blew Away
Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Very impressive, TJ! I love the chord changes, lyrics, the playing and the arrangement! You did a great job mixing this one, too. The vocals are perfect. There are parts of this song that remind me of some of the stuff Crosby and Nash did together, and the slide guitar at the end added a whole new dimension that kept the song interesting. Outstanding effort!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Very smooth. The mix is great. The vocals are nice and tight. The music is really very pretty. Great job!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 PM

Really, really nice! The singing and harmonies are great (really - no need to doubt your voice!) and the playing is wonderful. The two guitars playing like that together makes a beautiful sound. The sounds you're getting at the end are fantastic!

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 AM

Thanks all, that's really encouraging.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Agree with all of the above. This is top notch stuff!! So one question, spending all that time in the basement, do you keep a guitar down there??

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Agree with all of the above. This is top notch stuff!! So one question, spending all that time in the basement, do you keep a guitar down there??
Ha, thanks Ranger. I wish I had a guitar down there. We're too busy keeping out daughter calm for me to play. The sirens really freak her out!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Fabulous, baby. Simply fabulous !

Still got that vocal a little low. You take the instruments down when the vocal comes in, but when it's instrumental time you crank them back up. Find a level for the instruments and leave them there. Maybe bring up one instrument that is playing something special but leave the rest alone.

The vocal is very good. Great casual feeling. I love it, but it's still a little low. You step back the instruments when the singing starts. That's probably the level the instruments should be at all along. But tweak up the vocals.

Oooh. The song is running too long, now. Save the 6 minute version for your triumphal concert tour. A quick instrumental and out is what you need. (Or a returning vocal).

Plus in the last instrumental you need another instrument to play a lead. "Call and response." The instrumental could use a melody. You do a terrific job of layering the different textures. But texture does not a song make. (pretty close, though)

This really is very, VERY, VERY good. Don't take any of this the wrong way.

"What do I know ?"

(PS - I've never heard a 6 minute song on an internet forum that held my interest like this one. Maybe it works fine with all that texturing. It's just such a nice grove that it's hard to give it up. But don't change the levels on the instruments so much. The basic mix should be the same throughout. Maybe bring up a feature instrument as it comes in, then bring it down as the next one comes in, just like the vocal. But the overal mix volume should stay constant.)

Last edited by Marshall; 07-04-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Really a great vibe to the song. I would suggest you have the instrumental break and finish it with a vocal verse and chorus....
Old 07-05-2010, 02:42 AM

Really nice sound and feel to this!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:15 AM

Marshall, THANKS for the in-song review. That's actually really helpful and appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell