The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Benjamin Paldacci Guitars - 2019, "Constellation Series" & Regular Builts

Hello Folks!

Well, after a hiatus that lasted a couple of months, I am Back.

Let's see how 2019 will turn, but the workbench is pretty occupied for now. Pics of the last projects, with a little recap of Woodstock 2018 soon!

Cheers!

Ben

Last edited by BenjaminPaldacci; 06-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:37 PM

So, I have been more in the workshop, than on this forum. I have plenty of threads to catch, but here is a little update of the workshop.

I am currently working on 2 custom Orders from Customers in the United States. They both wanted an OM.

The first one is Pao Ferro & Sitka Spruce, Bearclaw. The second one is Granadillo & Carpathian Spruce.

When I am not working on guitars for my customers, I have guitars on the workbench. Those Four projects are here for future Guitar Showcases or unexpected customers, and woods I picked represents a good pannel of what I have (well, there are no Dalbergias in this bunch). Some of those woods are a first for me, and I have them for a long time in my Woodstash. This is such an honor, to work with premium material like those ones.

- OM Figured Claro Walnut & Mastergrade Salvaged Sitka Spruce, Honduran Mahogany neck;
- OO-12 Straight African Mahogany & Mastergrade Engelmann Spruce, Honduran Mahogany neck;
- OO-12 Figured Honduran Mahogany & Lutz Spruce, Honduran Mahogany neck;
- OM Wenge & Red Spruce (this top is a Pretty nice one!), Honduran Mahogany neck.

Bonus: pictures of my workshop. I recently allowed more space for it, and it allow me to build guitars in a better Workspace, with a lot of light! Life is good

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 03-28-2019, 05:38 PM

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM

Do you remember, the soundboard of the OO-12 #6, and its SAVAGE (and salvaged) Bearclaw Sitka Spruce? Yep, this one is craziest!

I was lucky to be able to go in Britsh Columbia 6 years ago to supply myself for some great sitka Spruce. I am happy to see I was not too shabby to select my woods, back in those days

Beautifull Tap Tone & Mechanic-properties! I am impatient to work with it!

Old 03-31-2019, 04:32 PM

Beautiful!
Old 03-31-2019, 06:13 PM

Thanks Carey!

Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminPaldacci View Post
Do you remember, the soundboard of the OO-12 #6, and its SAVAGE (and salvaged) Bearclaw Sitka Spruce? Yep, this one is craziest!

I was lucky to be able to go in Britsh Columbia 6 years ago to supply myself for some great sitka Spruce. I am happy to see I was not too shabby to select my woods, back in those days

Beautifull Tap Tone & Mechanic-properties! I am impatient to work with it!

Is this stuff from Bowriver Ben?
Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 PM

Hey Dion, Nope it comes from a guy in Brirish Columbia

Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 PM

"be able to go through some workshop incidents and try again. And again. And again..."

I have sanded the rosette of the OM Pao Ferro and unfortunately... a Purfling deflect apeared. I generally want to blame tools, machinery, wood, or even God, but this one is on me... well, it will be a great adition on the wall of the workshop, as decorative element (siiigh...)

So, because I've felt sorry for my customer, I've decided to upgrade the "bearclaw option" for his new top, and here is a craziest one. This Sitka Spruce comes from the same batch as the first top, a great material for sure!

The Pao Ferro back, with a Wenge center Stripe, is not too shabby!

Higuerilla & Pao Ferro. A thin rosette is way much harder to do than the large one... but it became my favorite. Simplicity is the key, but always with a certain amount of taste.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Wow. Some great and unique photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 PM

My pleasure! I've been off the forum for a while, and it is a pleasure to come back and show my work, to people who knows how to appreciate it!

Thanks for the kind words

Old 04-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Love seeing your work, Benjamin! That Bearclaw Sitka is nuts!
Old 04-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Hey Geoff, thanks!

The rosette will be inlayed in a couple of hours (always 24 hours for every glue to cure properly), I think it will bring a great contrast with this top!

Old 04-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Final Thickness: Check.

So, this rosette is composed by 3 different parts, separated by Maple thin veneer: Pao Ferro (with a light "Sun-Pattern") & Higuerilla.

One thing I love, is to have a "Continuum" from one guitar, to the next one. As I really digged my Sasha RW projects, I caught a piece in one of its back, and inlayed in this rosette. The spiderweb figure, is lovely. I took pieces from the Pao Ferro back of this actual guitar, to have a reminder of it.

I know, a lot of my mates create segmented rosettes. This style exercise is breathtaking and I am in love with it, but I am in a different mood. "Simplicity & Purity, is the key" is kind of my credo for a couple of instruments now, and It is something I want to explore. So many possibilities in our world, and I can't say that I won't change my mind someday... this is something I love in design: No Boundaries.

As the Queens Of The Stone Age said once: "Go with the Flow"

Emotional day: HHG Sunday.

This is the first time I've ever used Hot Hide Glue. Now, I have seen the light, and I understand why everybody love to cook it! 315 High Clear stuff, from Bjorn Hide Glue, Baby! 💃💎

Old 06-02-2019, 11:59 AM

So, pretty busy period in the workshop for me, with an ubber excited project called "Constellation Series". Here is a little presentation of it:

For years now, I wanted to find a special theme, for a special series of instruments. The goal should be to build special guitars for special events/customers... but I needed a pretty good theme.

So, weeks ago, I was watching stars during a night at Quebec City, and it hit me: Constellations! Astronomy fascinated me for decades now, and I've always loved those patterns, created by stars. The way they shine in a deep blue/dark sky, is incredible.

I will start the CONSTELLATION SERIES, with the "Libra". I was born in October, and I want to pay a tribute to my Zodiac sign with this #1 guitar. So, every instrument will be unique in its own way, but every piece of the Collection will have something in common.

I call Headplate/Endgraft/Rosette, the "Holy Trinity" of an instrument... and definitely, with those instruments, this term will be pretty appropriate!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop