The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2024, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Default 2024 Wireless Recommendations

I've gone full circle from wired, to wireless (Sennheiser XSW-D) and back to cables when the Sennheiser XSW-0D would no longer stay charge more than 3 hours. The battery is not user replaceable. After a couple years of gigging with it, I could not get through a full 3 hour gig without the charge LED turning red. It was super convenient and that is worth a ton. I gave my old XSW-D to a fellow musician who uses it for pre-show sound checks so he can stand out in front of the stage.

I am considering whether to get a new Sennheiser XSW-D knowing it will be decent for a couple of years or whether there is something as good or better.
I don't really have any pedal board real-estate for the Shure GLXD 16+.

Are the Boss, Line 6 or other wireless buds any good? What do you guys suggest? For me it's more for the freedom from cables on stage, so I don't need a lot of distance from the Wireless.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-27-2024, 07:37 AM

I get a lot of static with the Boss. Battery life is good. X-vive has less interference but limited battery life. AKG Perception wireless system takes 1 AA and lasts 12 hours if you don't mind the mic, which isn't bad. Probably as good as an AKG D5.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:29 AM

I've just started using the brand new Spark LINK units (from Positive Grid...and $129). Small size, very quiet, and don't seem to impact the sound. Have used them for two shows...so far so good.
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 03-27-2024, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

My Yamaha THR10II Wireless amp. It has a built-in rechargeable battery and Line 6 wireless receiver. Just had to buy a Line 6 Relay G10T transmitter, which works really well.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-27-2024, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
My Yamaha THR10II Wireless amp. It has a built-in rechargeable battery and Line 6 wireless receiver. Just had to buy a Line 6 Relay G10T transmitter, which works really well.
As a caution here, be very wary of older G10T.

I agree that when it works the G10T with Thr is a good combo ( I have a thr30ii). However, I am on my third g10T. The initial one quickly had major issues not holding a charge and within about a year would last about 10 minutes at best.

On inquiry line 6 would not warranty replace it even though if you go online there are many people reporting similar issues. (I was just over a year when I tried a warranty claim)

I bit the bullet and bought a new one and it was essentially dead on arrival and wouldn't hold charge properly right from the start.

They did warranty replace that one and now that one has been working well for about 18 months including a decent ability to hold charge. It appears they have made some improvements in more recent builds as the online issue reporting has also slowed down.

Vs other wireless, the convenience of being able to leave it charging in the thr amp and then just plugging it into the guitar is surprisingly great compared to having to use USB chargers and having to plug in both receiver and transmitter and it is basically always charged and ready to go.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I run exclusively wireless at gigs.

My Line6 amp has a built in wireless but I cant use it in my stereo output jack (as it uses the ring terminal to charge.

So, I went with a really affordable Lekato system I bought on Amazon for like $50. Its been stellar. I didn't trust it so I always have a cord on stage ready just in case and I own two of these systems.

I've only had 2 problems:

1) the micro-USB charger port on one mechanically broke - not sure if it wore out or just took a hit while plugged in. This did not impact any gig - it happened at home.

2) at a recent gig (and for the first time ever) I had some interference with new gear on the other side of the stage. I simply walked back to my side of the stage and it was fine. - I am still testing investigating this.

I've used these systems at 30-ish gigs without any problems. The battery on each unit lasts me steadily for full 4 hour gigs (Ive never had to use the backup unit).

The range on these is exceptional too!

I play 4 different instruments all through my Line6 modeling amp, DI out direct to the board. This is super convenient I just unplug this and plug it into the instrument I am grabbing, while switching channels vias the pedalboard.

I love mine

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-27-2024, 05:04 PM

I have been a big fan of the Line 6 G10 (original). It's been absolutely flawless live. It doesn't work with all active systems but seems to pair nicely with my Godin A8 mandolin.

With that said, out of nowhere, after using the system for 6-7 years, it started dying or cutting out at my last show. I charged it for two hours before the show but whenever I would plug it into my mandolin, it would work for 2-3 minutes and then die. The weird thing is, if I unplugged it and plugged it back in, I would get 2-3 minutes and then it would stop. I am not sure if it's that the transmitter is dead or, the wireless connection was not working well.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:37 PM

Line 6 G102 does not like LR Baggs preamps. You’ll get noise without an extension. I do use this one with the passive K&K. I’m interested in this topic because I had the same experience with the Senn wireless units. But I only got 1.5 years out of them. They hold almost no charge.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:01 PM

I just went with a cheap Lekato wireless set up for my solo acoustic gigs. It worked great for my first 3.5hr gig with it. We'll see how it holds up, Ive got a few more gigs coming up at the end of April and beginning of May. No complaints so far though, especially for 50 bucks!
Old 03-28-2024, 11:37 PM

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic...w-d-batteries/Did you check that?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-29-2024, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Cuki. I didn't know about this. So I'm gonna get back onboard the Sennheiser XSW-D train. It sounded fine and was very reliable other than the battery life dwindling after a couple of years. Good to know I can replace the battery. (they probably don't consider it 'user-replaceable' but I can be reasonably handy with stuff like this. I just never looked to see if I could open it up.

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic...w-d-batteries/
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-29-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The X-vive battery is not standard. Believe me, for $229, I looked high and low for a replacement. Nothing even close to the right shape had the tech specs needed.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Thanks Cuki. I didn't know about this. So I'm gonna get back onboard the Sennheiser XSW-D train. It sounded fine and was very reliable other than the battery life dwindling after a couple of years. Good to know I can replace the battery. (they probably don't consider it 'user-replaceable' but I can be reasonably handy with stuff like this. I just never looked to see if I could open it up.

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic...w-d-batteries/

Awesome! Agreed. The Senn preformed the best. Now I know!
Old 04-02-2024, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Update. I got the Sennheiser XSW-D and gigged with it a couple times this weekend. I also used it at a band rehearsal today.

Notes: It's so easy to use and sounds great. I just LOVE going wireless. Mostly to avoid a little cabling clutter on stage, but I did wander well out in front of stage at a couple of my gigs this weekend. I was jamming to a rhythm I just laid down. I forgot how some audience members find that so entertaining. Bottom line, I got good distance, it sounded great, I was able to get a good sonic barometer for the sound further out in the 'house' and it worked perfectly.

Side Bar: After speaking with another forum member I ordered a Lekato wireless from Amazon today for $39! Figured why now since Amazon returns are so easy. It also can't hurt to have a backup for just $39. More to come.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-02-2024, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the thread…

Question… Lekato has several wireless systems on Amazon. From $26.99 to $56.99, some being 2.4 and some 5.8. Which do you all recommend and why?

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification