The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-27-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Perhaps ask to install:
- the pickup jack a couple inches below the standard position
- a separate neck strap button in the usual tail pin spot

So a neck straps won't need cutting or adaptors?
Thanks for this. Are you saying that the current position of the neck strap button necessitates a shorter strap? I'm not quite clear on that. And isn't the pickup jack in the end pin? If so, that's OK with me.

By the way, does anyone know the neck thickness at 1st and 12th? I didn't think to ask. I'm very at home on a Taylor 814 neck, and while the nut width and spacing are the same, I didn't think to ask about the thickness. And, do you know if they'd do a custom fretboard radius? Not a deal-breaker, but if they would, I may ask for that (especially if no upcharge). Thanks!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-04-2021, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Thanks for this. Are you saying that the current position of the neck strap button necessitates a shorter strap? I'm not quite clear on that. And isn't the pickup jack in the end pin? If so, that's OK with me.
Apologies for the confusion.

I have guitars with the fat combo tail-pin/pickup-jack, and other instruments without pickup that have a standard thin tail-pin. I've had to enlarge the holes in straps to stretch over the combo tail-pins.

So now I find it handy to have a plain tail-pin in the standard position and a separate pickup jack a couple inches lower.

But... you may be addressing this by using an adapter gadget between the strap and strap pin?

Cheers.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Apologies for the confusion.

I have guitars with the fat combo tail-pin/pickup-jack, and other instruments without pickup that have a standard thin tail-pin. I've had to enlarge the holes in straps to stretch over the combo tail-pins.

So now I find it handy to have a plain tail-pin in the standard position and a separate pickup jack a couple inches lower.

But... you may be addressing this by using an adapter gadget between the strap and strap pin?

Cheers.
Got it, thanks! No adapter, but I have not had this issue with the straps I’ve used.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber