The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-31-2021, 09:56 AM

Default Thoughts on powered studeo monitors?

I see the other thread here recently on studio monitors and the Kali's have been mentioned as being good budget monitors. Their 6.5" is $50 less than these Heil Sound's over at Sweetwater. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ones in the link from Heil Sound? What catches my attention is they use a 12vDC power supply - not the usual 3 prong equipment AC power cord (12vDC = can be powered off portable power systems/batteries, not critical but might be handy at times).

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-hps-5

Kali 6.5" at Sweetwater

Are there any other worthy contenders in that $100-200 range? Or not much higher?

The main requirements I have are better quality audio than live sound/stage powered monitors, with enough volume/wattage to be way too loud in a small room. The thought on the volume is that I can move them to back yard type events as a PA with 50-75 people and have enough volume to be heard. The main purpose of the monitors, though, is for recording playback and a general purpose sound system here in the room.

I know people will probably mention acoustic treatment. That isn't in the cards in the room here. Down the road a ways if I can get a proper studio set up that might change, but at that point I would probably be looking at a lot of other different gear for that set up - speakers, stands, cabling, etc, etc. I'm not wanting to go down that road right now - just looking for some powered speakers I can cover a lot of bases with that are still quality and not just "stage speakers". Though, I do like the Mackie SRM350's and I've run the old SRM 1530's (about 15 years ago). Those are way overkill for my uses, though.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:27 AM

JBL 306P or 308P.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
JBL 306P or 308P.
I have the 306P JBLs and like them a lot.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:15 PM

For that kind of price constrain, I would look at monoprice.com:

https://www.monoprice.com/category/p...rence-monitors
Old 01-31-2021, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Just bought those Kali's with stands and isolators for $425. Like them a lot, but I'm no recording expert. For that you need Bob Womack's opinion!
Old 01-31-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
For that kind of price constrain, I would look at monoprice.com:

https://www.monoprice.com/category/p...rence-monitors
After purchasing upper end bluetooth headphones from Mono Price I wouldn't spend any money on any of their offerings.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:16 AM

Looks like the Kali 6.5" and JBL 306 pairs at Sweetwater are the same price - $298 for the pairs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...o-monitor-pair

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-monitors-pair

The JBL's are $50 more per speaker at Musicians Friend's site. Thats $100 savings with the pair at Sweetwater - if I go that route.

What is the benefit to the JBL's over the Kali's? I see the wattage is higher on the JBL's - 112w compared to 80w on the Kali's. Though, wattage doesn't necessarily mean volume - if the drivers distort at higher SPL's the wattage doesn't mean a hoot of a lot.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
I see the other thread here recently on studio monitors and the Kali's have been mentioned as being good budget monitors. Their 6.5" is $50 less than these Heil Sound's over at Sweetwater. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ones in the link from Heil Sound? What catches my attention is they use a 12vDC power supply - not the usual 3 prong equipment AC power cord (12vDC = can be powered off portable power systems/batteries, not critical but might be handy at times).

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-hps-5

Kali 6.5" at Sweetwater

Are there any other worthy contenders in that $100-200 range? Or not much higher?

The main requirements I have are better quality audio than live sound/stage powered monitors, with enough volume/wattage to be way too loud in a small room. The thought on the volume is that I can move them to back yard type events as a PA with 50-75 people and have enough volume to be heard. The main purpose of the monitors, though, is for recording playback and a general purpose sound system here in the room.

I know people will probably mention acoustic treatment. That isn't in the cards in the room here. Down the road a ways if I can get a proper studio set up that might change, but at that point I would probably be looking at a lot of other different gear for that set up - speakers, stands, cabling, etc, etc. I'm not wanting to go down that road right now - just looking for some powered speakers I can cover a lot of bases with that are still quality and not just "stage speakers". Though, I do like the Mackie SRM350's and I've run the old SRM 1530's (about 15 years ago). Those are way overkill for my uses, though.
Without acoustic treatment and based on everything you've said here, just get the cheapest and loudest monitors you can.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I dont have experience with Heil outside of ham radio. I would be hesitant to apply their audio gear to music production, though. There are just too many excellent options designed for music studios, to stray. I have a pair of Mackies that have served faithfully for many years. And they were very reasonably priced.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
What is the benefit to the JBL's over the Kali's?
I don't own Kalis, but they get excellent reviews.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM

JBL has been around for many decades and have established themselves as a solid pro audio provider.

No one ever got fired for recommending JBL.

Myself, although I've used JBL products many times, I would go for the Kali monitors. More bang for your buck.

I think Kali does near-field well. Conversely, the best experiences I had with JBL was in commercial spaces at mid-field or further distances.

I don't consider JBL to be a leader in near-field monitors.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-02-2021, 10:32 PM

Any thoughts on the KRK Rokit speakers? They appear to be well-made also, but not extraordinarily expensive. Looks like they are on their 4th generation in manufacturing but there are some earlier generations out there still.

https://www.krkmusic.com/ROKIT-Power...tudio-Monitors
Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 PM

I used KRK for years. The Rokit are OK, but not indicative of their best quality. I would go with the Kali.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-03-2021, 03:19 PM

Near field monitors will not work well for backyard PA use - they don't "push" enough air around and they tend to be more directional than PA speakers too (horizontal dispersion).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-03-2021, 05:22 PM

As far as the near field/mid field monitors not being a good tool for "loud speakers/PA speakers" - understood. I looked at powered PA speakers and those are generally quite a bit bigger speakers unless I went with something like the SRM150 from Mackie. I can't see spending the $ on all the bells and whistles (whole integrated PA system, not just "speaker") on that kind of thing when all I need is a pair of powered speakers. That and 99% of the time they would be used here in the room at normal listening levels. So that points to the better purpose to go off of being the studio monitors. If they are loud enough they might just do the trick for the PA set up. If not I can cross that bridge later and get some better speakers there.

The 6.5" Kali's seem like the way to go. I will check a couple other things before I get an order in but I am pretty sure that's the route I will go. Figure $300/pair and they seem to get good reviews.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD