The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Studio monitors?

I'm looking to order a pair of studio monitors for mixing my songs. I play mostly acoustic guitar singer songwriter style songs. I'm currently in the process of slowly building my own home studio in my loft dorma conversion.

My budget can stretch max to Yamaha hs7, I've also been looking at Adam tv7s, anyone here got any experience with these?
Old 01-30-2021, 12:39 PM

Make sure you budget for decent acoustic treatment if you haven't already done so
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-30-2021, 01:00 PM

Like Sam said: get acoustic treatment.

My experience, along with plenty of others, is that it's better to prioritize spending money on treatment, meaning bass traps. Which monitor you get is secondary to that. Look up Ethan Winer's site for advice on what you'll need along with how to build them yourself to save money.

You can spend a fortune on the best monitors but if your room isn't treated they won't work any better than cheap ones.

Look up Kali monitors. I don't have first hand experience with them but a couple friends of mine do and they've gotten very good reviews for being a budget monitor.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Look up Kali monitors. I don't have first hand experience with them but a couple friends of mine do and they've gotten very good reviews for being a budget monitor.
Just got a pair of Kali LP-6s w/stands and isolators from Sweetwater for around $425. I'm impressed (except with the sound of my singing voice ).
Old 01-30-2021, 06:30 PM

I've bit the button and ordered the hs7, I have allowed in my budget a lot of room for acoustic treatment, I just need to research more as it's quite a large room, odd shaped, and a large window, but it's the only room I can use to set up my studio.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
I've bit the button and ordered the hs7, I have allowed in my budget a lot of room for acoustic treatment, I just need to research more as it's quite a large room, odd shaped, and a large window, but it's the only room I can use to set up my studio.
In a large room, putting bass trap gobos encircling your mix position worked for me.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
You can spend a fortune on the best monitors but if your room isn't treated they won't work any better than cheap ones.
Unless they radiate in a cardioid fashion, in which case the room is minimised greatly; I’m thinking Kii Audio 3s and Dutch & Dutch 8c.
Expensive, but astonishing and worth every penny.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-01-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not always but in general "large" and "odd" shaped can be somewhat of an advantage (IF) the specific configuration is less prone to the standing wave issues, often prototypical of two sets of box shaped 90 degree parallel walls

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-01-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Unless they radiate in a cardioid fashion, in which case the room is minimised greatly; I’m thinking Kii Audio 3s and Dutch & Dutch 8c.
Expensive, but astonishing and worth every penny.

Cheers,
Steve
Both of those certainly get rave reviews but are a bit over the $600 a pair budget mentioned by the OP

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-02-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not always but in general "large" and "odd" shaped can be somewhat of an advantage (IF) the specific configuration is less prone to the standing wave issues, often prototypical of two sets of box shaped 90 degree parallel walls
After doing quite a lot of research, I have learned that my room is actually quite good, lots of different angles, sloped ceiling, lots of furniture ect, all things that apparently naturally acoustically treat a room. I had already noticed that the room has hardly any natural reverb/echo ect compared to the standard square rooms in my house, which I've been reading is what you want for recording.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
After doing quite a lot of research, I have learned that my room is actually quite good, lots of different angles, sloped ceiling, lots of furniture ect, all things that apparently naturally acoustically treat a room. I had already noticed that the room has hardly any natural reverb/echo ect compared to the standard square rooms in my house, which I've been reading is what you want for recording.
Humm ??? little confused the way that is written , are you saying you have been reading that standard square (probably mean rectangle ) rooms, are what you have been reading as what you want ? Or mean and irregular shaped room is more what you might want ? Because in general the latter is more likely to be the case.

That said : Also there is a difference between what you might want for recording (or tracking ) and what you might want for mixing
(understanding that symmetry does not have to mean square or rectangle)
While an asymmetrical room can be good for recording,,,,,, for mixing an symmetrical room shape is more desired

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-03-2021, 03:21 PM

You won't know the faults in your (untreated) room until you start mixing in it, and then check your mixes elsewhere.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD