The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-29-2021, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

This album was recorded live...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Wind

-Mike
Old 01-29-2021, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
A lot of what I'll be doing will be instrumental fingerstyle! How do you prefer to keep time? Do you play to a click or a count in or something different? When I was doing more singer-songwritery stuff, recording to a click wasn't much of a challenge but the more complex instrumental work becomes more stressful to get perfect. I've considered just using a count-in so I can set an initial tempo and have some freedom to ritard and crescendo but I do hear that clicks are a must have.

Also, how many mics do you track with?
Any of my You Tube videos are "live", it's tough to edit takes together in video. Just play a few times until I think I have a good take, and live with any remaining mistakes.

When recording audio-only, it's much easier to edit. The usual approach is to record multiple takes, until I get one that feels good and is mostly right, then fix a few places that maybe could be better. Usually I just a have a few, if I start getting into a lot of edits, I take it as a sign I should just do another take.

I'll use a click if I plan to have others overdub, it's nice to not force others to follow my tempo changes, and time becomes more important when it's an ensemble piece. For solo tunes, not usually. I probably have listened to a metronome or something before starting, but generally by the time I record something I have it down well enough that I know the tempo I want. For instrumental fingerstyle guitar, I think it's hard to play expressively to a click while recording. But I practice to a metronome frequently. if I can't play to a metronome, then it's not really ready to record (or perform). But in a real performance, I want to be able to vary the tempo if I want it to vary and not feel constrained by a click. In any case, I don't think a click track is a "must have", it depends on if you want/need it. It does make editing a lot easier.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:25 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Any of my You Tube videos are "live", it's tough to edit takes together in video. Just play a few times until I think I have a good take, and live with any remaining mistakes.

When recording audio-only, it's much easier to edit. The usual approach is to record multiple takes, until I get one that feels good and is mostly right, then fix a few places that maybe could be better. Usually I just a have a few, if I start getting into a lot of edits, I take it as a sign I should just do another take.

I'll use a click if I plan to have others overdub, it's nice to not force others to follow my tempo changes, and time becomes more important when it's an ensemble piece. For solo tunes, not usually. I probably have listened to a metronome or something before starting, but generally by the time I record something I have it down well enough that I know the tempo I want. For instrumental fingerstyle guitar, I think it's hard to play expressively to a click while recording. But I practice to a metronome frequently. if I can't play to a metronome, then it's not really ready to record (or perform). But in a real performance, I want to be able to vary the tempo if I want it to vary and not feel constrained by a click. In any case, I don't think a click track is a "must have", it depends on if you want/need it. It does make editing a lot easier.
Thank you, Doug! Sometime ago, I used your Christmas Fingerstyle book as the the basis for some brief Instagram performances. I changed the key of We Three Kings but kept Auld Lyn Sang identical to your arrangement. I tagged you for proper credit as well
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-30-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Not usually but this one was ..
I used two mics an LDC Vocal mic and an SDC mic pointed more or less at the bridge of the guitar. There was some bleed but it did not seem to be an issue

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD