The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-12-2021, 10:20 AM

Default I went and did it

I've been wanting a guitar to leave out, and when we can gig again, use for those outdoor ones that are sweltering, and occasionally freezing (man, I hate those). So I placed an order for an Emerald X-20 today. It's going to be a long 4 months!

Anyway, thanks for all the info here. I've been sifting through it for weeks now, listening to every online demo I could find, and this site has been a huge help.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

What specifics did you order for your X20???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-12-2021, 10:24 AM

Any details on what you ordered you can share here, like stock carbon or veneer, any customizations?
Old 01-12-2021, 10:58 AM

Yea, sure. Just plain ol' black carbon, gotoh 510's and a baggs anthem. I didn't want to go in too deep until I see how much I will like it. The upgrade I really wanted was a custom neck crave, but that was $750, and I figure I can sell this one and order another custom down the road if I take to it. Worst case, I have 10 days to return it if need be. But I doubt I will, judging from everything I researched beforehand.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

Those four months will pass much faster than you can imagine.

Or not
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-12-2021, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Hope you enjoy it...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-12-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Hope you enjoy it...
Thank you sir.

Last edited by jklotz; 01-12-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Yea, sure. Just plain ol' black carbon, gotoh 510's and a baggs anthem. I didn't want to go in too deep until I see how much I will like it. The upgrade I really wanted was a custom neck crave, but that was $750, and I figure I can sell this one and order another custom down the road if I take to it. Worst case, I have 10 days to return it if need be. But I doubt I will, judging from everything I researched beforehand.
Congratulations! Sounds like you bought a standard model, otherwise, the return policy wouldn't apply. I'm curious about the return policy: "We are happy to offer a refund if the instrument is unsuitable within 10 days of receipt of your order. The instrument must be in as new condition and original packaging."

Does this imply that Emerald must be physically "in receipt" of the returned instrument within 10 calendar days of the customer's receipt of the shipment?

Another question on the warranty. Just curious: "Emerald does not warranty the playability of an instrument whose ‘action’ is lower than the factory standard or whose string gauge is different than the factory standard."

Since the "action" and "string gauge" aren't included in the product specifications, that I can see, what standard is applied here?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
Congratulations! Sounds like you bought a standard model, otherwise, the return policy wouldn't apply. I'm curious about the return policy: "We are happy to offer a refund if the instrument is unsuitable within 10 days of receipt of your order. The instrument must be in as new condition and original packaging."

Does this imply that Emerald must be physically "in receipt" of the returned instrument within 10 calendar days of the customer's receipt of the shipment?

Another question on the warranty. Just curious: "Emerald does not warranty the playability of an instrument whose ‘action’ is lower than the factory standard or whose string gauge is different than the factory standard."

Since the "action" and "string gauge" aren't included in the product specifications, that I can see, what standard is applied here?
From what I've read, they come with a high and low saddle. Also, they have a dual acting truss rod so you can fine tune the setup. That's one of the reasons I ordered it. I like to add a touch of relief when doing drop tunings.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post

These questions would be better addressed to Emerald, don’t you think?
Cordoba Stage

Old 01-12-2021, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
From what I've read, they come with a high and low saddle. Also, they have a dual acting truss rod so you can fine tune the setup. That's one of the reasons I ordered it. I like to add a touch of relief when doing drop tunings.
It’s McPhersons that come with the two saddles, not Emerald.
Cordoba Stage

Old 01-12-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
It’s McPhersons that come with the two saddles, not Emerald.
Ahhh, gotcha. Maybe I can sweet talk them into dropping a spare blank in the case when it's done. Otherwise, graphtec saddles are easy enough to come by if I find I need it.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ahhh, gotcha. Maybe I can sweet talk them into dropping a spare blank in the case when it's done. Otherwise, graphtec saddles are easy enough to come by if I find I need it.
Right. The part number might even be around here somewhere as the result of a previous enquirer.
Cordoba Stage

Old 01-12-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Right. The part number might even be around here somewhere as the result of a previous enquirer.
The saddle is a Tusq PS-9280-CO. Fully compensated, 1/8" thick. A recent thread here gave no answer about the nut. Kevin just grabs a loose one from the bulk parts bin, and does not have a part number handy. But he can easily toss an extra one into the case if you ask. Alistair sent me a replacement saddle when my stock X30 from December 2019 came set up way too low.

I noticed yesterday that there are exactly zero weave X20's in stock. Every X20 on the website has wood veneers. I wonder when stock will be replenished? I do recall some recent discussion about Emerald making a second X20 mold to help keep up with demand. Good for them!
Old 01-12-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The saddle is a Tusq PS-9280-CO. Fully compensated, 1/8" thick. A recent thread here gave no answer about the nut. Kevin just grabs a loose one from the bulk parts bin, and does not have a part number handy. But he can easily toss an extra one into the case if you ask. Alistair sent me a replacement saddle when my stock X30 from December 2019 came set up way too low.

I noticed yesterday that there are exactly zero weave X20's in stock. Every X20 on the website has wood veneers. I wonder when stock will be replenished? I do recall some recent discussion about Emerald making a second X20 mold to help keep up with demand. Good for them!
Thanks, Earl - I was sure that part number was known to someone here.

As far as stock is concerned, there are only *8* instruments in stock at the moment. They must have been having quite a run - perhaps a concerted effort to clear some guitars with older style appointments?

We shall see. I’d heard the second X20 mould being discussed also.
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber