The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-18-2019, 11:29 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default My new album recorded with a Rainsong

My new album just landed on Spotify and will probably be on YouTube and other venues in the next few days. I recorded this album with the incredible CO-WS1005NSM model which is their offset soundhole 12-fret beauty in a marine burst finish and I am so happy with how this guitar sat in the mix with the rest of the music. Interestingly, most of the acoustic tracks were just left dry and I didn't need to modify or eq the sound at all to get what I wanted to hear. I am pretty sure that this is the only acoustic used in these songs and I tried to keep good notes this time but I was paring the album down from about 35 songs. i hope you like it!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3X9Ky...THqgG0kUG12xnw

This one....

JR
Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Guest 928

JR;

Nice album. I like Close To All best. I think that's because I find the blended lyrics to work particularly well and are particularly clear. Nice guitar work, too.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:04 PM

I'm listening to it right now. It sounds freakin' awesome! Crosslight!
What do you record with? Do you use a particular keyboard?
That guitar is or used to be the one that Rainsong Dave recommends.
Way to go!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:14 PM

WOW... quite creative oh great leader... you done good...yes some details about how you did this...keyboard info is always appreciated
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing, JR....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-18-2019, 02:58 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks, everyone! You are so kind! Yes, actually I used the wonderful OP-1 synthesizer from Teenage Engineering to create the synth loops and then layered the Rainsong over that. The OP-1 is legendary and I've had one since almost the beginning. It has an onboard little 4-track recorder that acts just like tape and I can't tell you how much fun this thing is. It even has a mic so you can sample your own sounds and an fm radio tuner so you can sample from the radio and there's even a hidden video game - chopper command I think. When you are done making music, it has an album lathe that lets you master your recording to a little vinyl record and there's only Side A and B. It's just as beautiful in its limitations as it is in its features. It would be easy to pass this off as a toy but if you like to experiment with music I cannot recommend this thing more highly... but beware- it is seldom available from the manufacturer. They are like Willy Wonka and only roll out a handful of them every so often.

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-1

JR
Old 11-18-2019, 04:15 PM

I have not had time to listen, but that guitar is certainly stunning!!!!
Old 11-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

A fine job! And thanks once again for AGF, this bit of home on the internet for those of us who appreciate all things guitar. Great looking RainSong, too!
Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
My new album just landed on Spotify and will probably be on YouTube and other venues in the next few days. I recorded this album with the incredible CO-WS1005NSM model which is their offset soundhole 12-fret beauty in a marine burst finish and I am so happy with how this guitar sat in the mix with the rest of the music. Interestingly, most of the acoustic tracks were just left dry and I didn't need to modify or eq the sound at all to get what I wanted to hear. I am pretty sure that this is the only acoustic used in these songs and I tried to keep good notes this time but I was paring the album down from about 35 songs. i hope you like it!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3X9Ky...THqgG0kUG12xnw

This one....

JR
Very cool man. Sounds fantastic.

Congrats!
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-04-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Very cool album and I’m delighted to hear an album recorded with a Rainsong.

I tried this model for the first time today when I brought my Martin in for a setup and noodled around the acoustic room of my favorite store. I was very impressed- I wished I had my CO-WS1000N2 to compare. The WS-10005NSM sounded louder and even fuller on the trebles which was really cool. I’m guessing the offset soundhole gives the impression of it being louder although I’m doubtful this is true -although it is a 12 fret. The bass was excellent but the mids sounded “honky” - not sure the best way to describe it.

Aesthetically I’m not sure how I feel about the offset sound hole - I think Emerald nails this category though I’ve not played one. I wonder whether I’d like the mids better with my personal string set up - medium phosphor bronze tuned to Eb (Rainsong uses light gauge Elixir 80/20s)

Anyone tried this guitar before? I’m definitely intrigued.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:22 PM

My impression was the same re: the honky mids. I thought it sounded pretty bad in my hands, certainly worse than the APSE, CH-WS, and CH-OM I had next to it.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Congrats JR on the new album!

I’m so glad I recorded my RainSong with my iPhone, when I demoed it last year at Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. While I wouldn’t have called the sound "honky," it was definitely different from what I’m used to with wooden guitars. Listening with earbuds that night I really liked the quality of the sound, plus how it supported my voice, and returned to buy it the next day. Mine doesn’t have the offset sound hole, but being a 12 fret the hole is close to my right ear anyway. And it’s so nice not having to worry about heat and humidity.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-06-2021, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

I would like to explore this model more - yes there was something about the mids that didn’t sound quite right but Next time I’m bringing my standard CO-WS to do a quick comparison. I’ve bought a ton from this store and the guys know me - perhaps I may get them to put some medium phosphor bronze strings on to try.

But a larger question pertains to the offset sound hole - is it only louder because it is closer to your ear or does it really project better?
Old 02-06-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post

But a larger question pertains to the offset sound hole - is it only louder because it is closer to your ear or does it really project better?
Maybe a bit of both? Closer to your ear yes, and so physics says it will be louder. The other component about moving the sound hole is that there is more sound board that is uninterrupted. I've heard it said that guitar tops work like a drum and the argument about offset sound holes is that you can maximize a top's movement by letting more of that uninterrupted top move. Makes sense to me but hopefully others will chime in. I do think offset sound holes increase bass response as I've noted this with personal experience. As far as RainSongs having a nasally midrange, I think that is a signature component of the RainSong tone regardless of shape or materials.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:25 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thank you, Seann!

The CO-WS1005 was a special design that they offered that was meant to accommodate alternate tunings. I'm not sure if they even offer it anymore but they do offer a fabulous-looking 25th Anniversary edition... I want one.

https://rainsong.com/blackice/25yr

JR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber