The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-11-2020, 06:25 AM

Default Sable custom gig bag

Just wanted to point out that McPherson has finally(delayed due to COVID this year) released their custom gig bag made specifically for the Sable. As someone who travels with his guitar a lot I have been waiting for this. They teamed up with Reunion Blues to make the bag. I did not see any specs on the McPherson website so I bought it there not being able to tell if the measurements were the same as the normal bags on Reunion Blues website. It will be a Christmas present (good to know what Santa is bringing) so I will measure it after Christmas and try to update this thread as the bags are cheaper from Reunion Blues if they are the same size.
BTW- Free shipping from McPherson as of last week, not sure how long that will last.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for that info !
Old 12-14-2020, 12:37 PM

Wow, it looks like the Sable will no longer come with its hardshell case. Just the "travel bag."
Old 12-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

That's a shame! Their hard case was really nice with the CF look and all. Pretty sharp looking case. $249. for the soft case is pretty steep....I may have to look at Access bags or something else.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:29 AM

I don’t think it is “soft”, it came in a full size guitar box. Of course, it isn’t Christmas so I haven’t opened it but I believe it is a hard bag similar to the Reunion Blues that can be thrown off a 3 story roof and protect the guitar successfully(YouTube has video of these tests). I have never used the hard case with any of my CF fiber instruments, instead opting for Access bags(great products and support) for travel. My Sable fits in my Access bag but pushes the limit length wise and I would not be happy were I to check the guitar in that bag. This bag looks to provide protection like a hard case with portability like a soft case. As I have CF specifically for travel that is normally up to 16 days a month lugging around a hard shell case is a non starter for me.
I will report back after Christmas.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I don’t think it is “soft”, it came in a full size guitar box. Of course, it isn’t Christmas so I haven’t opened it but I believe it is a hard bag similar to the Reunion Blues that can be thrown off a 3 story roof and protect the guitar successfully(YouTube has video of these tests). .
I just read that it is indeed made by Reunion Blues. That is an impressive bag! It also will make moving about with the Sable less burdensome- the Sable is actually a pretty heavy guitar for CF.

https://mcphersonguitars.com/carbon-series/sable/
Old 12-15-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I don’t think it is “soft”, it came in a full size guitar box. Of course, it isn’t Christmas so I haven’t opened it but I believe it is a hard bag similar to the Reunion Blues that can be thrown off a 3 story roof and protect the guitar successfully(YouTube has video of these tests). I have never used the hard case with any of my CF fiber instruments, instead opting for Access bags(great products and support) for travel. My Sable fits in my Access bag but pushes the limit length wise and I would not be happy were I to check the guitar in that bag. This bag looks to provide protection like a hard case with portability like a soft case. As I have CF specifically for travel that is normally up to 16 days a month lugging around a hard shell case is a non starter for me.

I will report back after Christmas.

The only time I damaged a guitar was my Taylor 814 in the highest end reunion blues gig bag. I’ll stick to Monocase.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
That's a shame! Their hard case was really nice with the CF look and all. Pretty sharp looking case. $249. for the soft case is pretty steep....I may have to look at Access bags or something else.
I just checked McPherson's web site and this is indeed true even for the Touring.

My Sables came with a really nice hard shell case that looks like carbon fiber, though I don't know that it really is. I do know it is built like a tank. My Touring came with BOTH a smaller version of the same hard shell case AND a really high quality gig bag.

Now, I am seeing that both the Sable and the Touring only come with a gig bag. I seem to prefer the hard shell case, though if I were taking my guitar out around town, I would probably use the gig bag for my Touring.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber