The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-28-2016, 06:30 PM

I picked mine up today. I haven't had the chance to plug it in yet, as I'm emptying my kitchen for demolition tomorrow morning

All I can say from playing it unplugged is this is a lot of guitar for $440.

I'll probably play the strings to death and then put on some nickel 11s on it.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
I had a pending charge on my card for my ES-175 and it disappeared today.
The pending charge that was released is a good thing! This is what is supposed to happen... According to rules for Visa/Mastercard they cannot keep money for items that are on order. They can take a deposit but not full payment.

Whether it comes back in-stock is another story... But I would be very upset if I had $450 bucks tied up for weeks or months.

This was advertised as a clearance item and most likely will be limited to stock on hand. I would not expect them to order more .. especially if the item is being sold below cost (which I believe was the case).

Last edited by JakeStone; 11-28-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I picked mine up today. I haven't had the chance to plug it in yet, as I'm emptying my kitchen for demolition tomorrow morning

It's a sweet guitar... I played it with a booster pedal in front of my Fender Deluxe Reverb. Kicks A^^ !
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
It's a sweet guitar... I played it with a booster pedal in front of my Fender Deluxe Reverb. Kicks A^^ !
The two surprises are that it is extremely loud acoustically, and it survived my best "Nuge" impersonation ( I know, he used Byrdlands...) with zero feedback at bedroom volumes. Of course no feedback makes it a very bad Nuge imitation... But you get my point. At non-stage volumes, it can shred like a paul
Old 11-28-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
The two surprises are that it is extremely loud acoustically, and it survived my best "Nuge" impersonation ( I know, he used Byrdlands...) with zero feedback at bedroom volumes. Of course no feedback makes it a very bad Nuge imitation... But you get my point. At non-stage volumes, it can shred like a paul
Ha! I may be guilty of playing the opening riff of "Stranglehold" !!

Like I said.. hit those 57s with a bit of booster pedal and they will Growl like a dog!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Ha! I may be guilty of playing the opening riff of "Stranglehold" !!

Like I said.. hit those 57s with a bit of booster pedal and they will Growl like a dog!
Nice Guess! One of the best intros of all time. Like most Chuck Berry intros, there's always more going on there than a casual listening will reveal!
Old 11-29-2016, 02:08 PM

I called Epiphone this morning, and they said that they have not discontinued the natural finished ES-175 Premium, but that the quantity produced would be less, due to poor sales. So here's hoping that GC continues to sell them.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I called Epiphone this morning, and they said that they have not discontinued the natural finished ES-175 Premium, but that the quantity produced would be less, due to poor sales. So here's hoping that GC continues to sell them.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Perhaps I was too hard on Guitar Center and they'll eventually pull through with their end of the bargain. We'll see.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
If you saunter about the internet, you definitely see a preference for Black and Sunburst. Folks dig the black ones a LOT! Perhaps the "red" will be blown out down the road.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Perhaps I was too hard on Guitar Center and they'll eventually pull through with their end of the bargain. We'll see.
I highly doubt they will honor the back orders.

This was a clearance event.. Plain and simple.

They are not responsible for "computer" glitches. Nor would they order more just to sell at a loss.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:

If you want a real treat, try a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz BeBop strings. It is what I use on mine.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Gaffer View Post
If you want a real treat, try a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz BeBop strings. It is what I use on mine.
I've heard nothing but great things, but they are a little rich for my blood. 5% of the cost of the guitar per set seems a bit much! Especially for a hack like me.

I'm a "these are on sale? Give me 5 sets" kind guy.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:

They are not responsible for "computer" glitches. Nor would they order more just to sell at a loss.
I think they are "accountable" for computer glitches. Even if they law says they can't be held to it, which probably varies from state to state, the fact that the "problem" persisted for a week, and they continued to take orders means they aren't getting away without some restitution if they tried to cancel my order.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 PM

The epiphone "E" just basically came off the pickguard semi-unintentionally.

I was pulling plastic off the pickups and pickguard, and I wondered "is the E embossed or glued on? Apparently it was glued on with Post-it note adhesive. Ran my fingernail under it to check if it was embossed, and it just popped off.

Its and Epiphone. It has the epiphone headstock and logo. Taking the E off doesn't fool anybody. But if you don't like it, you may be able to get it to fall off the guitar with a stern look
Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
From the "Hope Springs Eternal Department", I just got an email from GC notifying me that my ES-175 is still on backorder, and that it will ship as soon as they receive them from Epiphone. This made me breifly optomistic until I realized that this is probably a computer-generated notification issued after so many days with anything on backorder. Here's hoping!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars