The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Microphones for traveling

as i'm traveling a lot recently, i want to have a good recording equipment to use when traveling. my main intention is to make good quality youtube/vimeo videos wherever i am. also, if i play in a gorgously sounding venue, i'd love to record a bit on that room.

i use a Macbook Pro and i've decided that the interface will be a SoundDevices USB Pro 2.

as the main intention is to record good videos, i need them not to be huge. usually there will not be any room treatement at all (as in any hotel room), so i'm thinking about close micing. also, i'd like then not to be too heavy, but that wouldnt' be a problem. i suppose that most of the time i'll use a tiny desktop mic support. i'd like to spend less than 1K. right now, i'm not sure if using only one mic or two (but i'd prefer of course to use two!)

i'm thinking on a pair of Oktava 012 modded by Michael Joly. the DPA 4099 would also be a good idea... but i'm open to any suggestions

by the way, can you recommend me good quality XLR cables that aren't too heavy or too thick?
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM

Encourage you to look into AKG C1000S. Can find 'em used in xlnt shape for ~$125-150.

I've a pair, view 'em like SM57's on steroids. Internal 9V batt provides phantom pwr if none available. "Hypercardiod" insert's great for live use [averts fdbk]. I think they sound great for recording on Macbk pro via Motu I use.

Great "bang-for-the-buck" imho unless y're ready to spend 4 or more times as much. The only Oktavia I ever recorded on [was "fine" btw] isn't near as good as these are to my ears.

I also find these AKG's physically rugged for travel. Got one + stand & Motu here @ rural getaway ranchito in SW, withstands packing rigors no prob.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:06 AM

Modded Oktavas are a great mid-range option but the Usbpre2 and either a couple of miniature DPA's or Schoeps CCM's must be the ideal portable setup. If you can setup in a good acoustic space, the pre2 with some good mics is good enough to record some very high quality audio.

However, you probably don't need to aim so high solely for youtube which, AFAIK, creates audio tracks with a maximum resolution somewhere around 160k - and often a lot worse.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 AM

moon, i wouldn't mind to keep the high quality files for later usage if they are good enough. i love the schoeps idea, but it frightens me a bit carrying 2 of those really expensive micrphones with me. this is why i try to keep the mic investment below the 1K.

i suppose you refer the CMC641 but, which DPA models are you thinking of? as i live in Europe i think i can get better prices on them (but i travel to the states frequently anyway)
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...

Last edited by P_K; 03-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM

The CCM compacts are another product line from Schoeps alongside the CMC collettes. I think they use most of the same capsules, although they're built-in to the mic body rather than the interchangeable capsules of the collettes. Not cheap though, as you say...

The DPA 4099 could be ideal. Small, light and easy to carry. Lots of different mount options: if you're doing some kind of stereo technique you might want something with good freedom of movement. For example, with XY, and guitar mounts, you've only got a small zone in which to place the mics (assuming you can get two mounted side by side in XY in the first place). That's fine if the sweet spot is inside the zone. If not... It's certainly going to be a lot more convenient if you can mount them on the guitar so that's something to figure out. I've never used them so I couldn't say what works best.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM

• PS: for XLR cables, I'd just make up my own to size. To keep the weight down try plastic connectors and the thinnest cable that still looks like decent quality in the catalogue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD