The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I am actually looking for some ways to segment the discussions a bit in the General section. The problem that we have is that threads fall off of the first page too quickly ~ 3hrs. One of the reasons that I created the Custom Shop section was to organize those discussions and make them available separately from the normal chatter in the general section. Luthiers were putting lots of time into creating build threads that would often get very few views before they were bumped off the first page by the latest string thread. Now, the builds stay on the first page of the Custom Shop a lot longer, and they're so easy to find. You could spend hours reading through the Custom Shop section on your first visit, if you have an interest in hand-built acoustics. I've been told this many times.

Making it easier to find information on the AGF helps the usefulness of our community overall, since most of our traffic is by people reading the AGF for research or entertainment purposes. (~75% of the AGF's traffic is readers.)

The same could apply to CF - organizing all the associated threads into one easy to find and easy to read section. If you read the AGF using the New Posts button at the top of the page you'll get a list of all the posts (in all the sections) since your last visit, so you'll see the CF threads along with everything else, even though they might exist in their own section. As it is today, CF threads are usually buried in the General Section and only found using specific searches once the discussions fall off the first page. If you're coming to the AGF for the first time today and looking for topics related to CF, they might be somewhat difficult to find. That's what I hope to fix.

The AGF consists of topics that are of interest to our audience, and there's growing interest in CF. I'm not too concerned with what's already happening somewhere else on the Internet. It's a big place and there's plenty of room for all of us.

It does sort of piss me off when someone on the AGF sends someone over to MacNichol for CF discussions or help. It says to me that we need to offer something better here, where the bulk of the acoustic guitar discussions are happening every day.

JR
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
If you are "pissed" at the AGF for not making it easy to find the information here because it is the fault of the AGF, then I can understand your sentiments more easily.
Us. We can obviously do a better job and that's really all I'm concerned with.

It's real tempting to be sensitive when it comes to these forums and get defensive about your favorite community. I understand. But take your community member / enthusiast hat off for a moment and imagine that you are a builder who sells Carbon Fiber acoustic guitars to a number of different dealers around the world. Your products are built and intended for acoustic guitar players and those are the people that you want as customers for your network of dealers... I think you can see where I'm going with this. CF should be well-represented here if it's going to thrive.

JR
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM

As an established member of the MacNichol's forum, I'll add my support for a CF subforum at the AGF. I think one positive aspect of having a subforum here on the AGF will be a broader user perspective (including fans and non-fans) than exists within the MacNichol's forum, where the membership is largely made up of those who have already converted.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
I think one positive aspect of having a subforum here on the AGF will be a broader user perspective (including fans and non-fans) than exists within the MacNichol's forum, where the membership is largely made up of those who have already converted.
But won't this result in a narrower user perspective with a sub-forum, since most people who don't already have a strong interest will likely not bother at all? I think the present setup leads to more people getting exposed to the concept.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

IMO ,there's been, and ,there is ongoing, experimentation of the carbon musical instrument(not just guitars but others like mandolin and such) at the Macnichol forum for a long time. as others have mentioned, there is a lot of knowledge and input from most if not all the carbon builders there, and the players that visit that site have some long term use and history with those instruments.

this may not be possible, but how about inviting Macnichol to merge into this site and bring the whole mechanism to the AGF?

d
Old 12-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
But won't this result in a narrower user perspective with a sub-forum, since most people who don't already have a strong interest will likely not bother at all? I think the present setup leads to more people getting exposed to the concept.
That's an excellent point, Brian. I too worry that many AGFers would just never bother to visit the CF subforum. But JR has a good point about posts moving too quickly off the main forum, and establishing a subforum would certainly elevate the status of CF guitars.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
But JR has a good point about posts moving too quickly off the main forum, and establishing a subforum would certainly elevate the status of CF guitars.
I certainly understand that. Personally, what I would like to see is for the main forum to be more "gear" related than simply "general acoustic guitar". For example, here are some topics that are on the first few pages that could be put in some other sub-forum:

Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir
Your Top Three (Guitar Playing) Singer/Songwriters. List Them Here
The Beatles as an influence
its time for some Dickey Betts, "Melissa", and "Come and go blues"
Seeking CDs with Tab
If you like Slack Key, George Clooney, etc
Chord Construction - Just about any tuning

These are all worthy topics, they just don't (IMO) belong in the same forum where we discuss manufacturers, construction, etc. I would also like to see more emphasis put on people posting in the proper forum. Probably 10% of the topics in this forum could easily belong in the Play sub-forum.

The first sub-forum I would like to see added is one dealing with "players" (such as the Juber, Beatles and Betts threads mentioned above).

In my mind, carbon fiber is simply another material used to construct guitars and I would prefer that CF discussions not be moved out of the mainstream.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM

I have a CF guitar which I don't play at all or know anything about nor have any interest. I would welcome a sub-forum for CF guitars, but I doubt I'd be visiting there a lot.
Maybe 'Other string instrument' is a good solution, but whats wrong with what we already have? Isn't 'General Acoustic Guitar Discussion' the same thing?
Thats the beautiful thing about AGF, old post gets moved on and always abundance of new. Being bored of the same old post is something that just don't happen here. Thats the beauty.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 AM

I might just be interested as I have some interest in CF guitars.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I might just be interested as I have some interest in CF guitars.
Let's see...only the largest collection in the country owned by one person!!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Please....It would make it so much easier to find information on the current CF offerings. +1 on the CF sub-forum.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Doubt it will see much action for simple reasons...

Nobody can argue about merits of Brazilian CF vs. Madagasgar CF
No humidity or care threads
No neck angle threads
No Tonerite unless they come up with a nuclear powered version
No "my guitar is alive" threads
No reason to discuss nitro vs varnish vs poly
No sense discussing whose CF is more attractive
No bone vs FWI, what's the point
No opening up/closing down/going to sleep threads
Does CF made in a factory in the Adirondacks cost more?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Doubt it will see much action for simple reasons...

Nobody can argue about merits of Brazilian CF vs. Madagasgar CF
No humidity or care threads
No neck angle threads
No Tonerite unless they come up with a nuclear powered version
No "my guitar is alive" threads
No reason to discuss nitro vs varnish vs poly
No sense discussing whose CF is more attractive
No bone vs FWI, what's the point
No opening up/closing down/going to sleep threads
Does CF made in a factory in the Adirondacks cost more?
Partially true, but...

- Some CA guitars had neck angle problems (Peavey is addressing that)
- CF guitars still have finishes. Might not have same issues as wood guitars, but it's still a topic
- Bone and other alternate materials still have their application for saddles/nuts on CF guitars
Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I think a separate forum would reduce exposure to the topic. Those who are already owners or have decided to become owners of CF guitars will frequent it. I wouldn't rule out a CF guitar purchase but I doubt I'd be motivated to visit that sub-forum. If I wanted advice, I'd want it from the broadest representation of players, not just those who've decided that CF is for them. There tends to be sort of an in-group loyalty among people who all play a common type of instrument. That can be fun and those folks can be an excellent source of some types of information but there may be a positive bias, with social pressure not to knock the type of instrument that is the glue of the group.

I have belonged to a couple or four other forums that are brand specific. When you first get an instrument, it's nice to have kindred spirits who share your enthusiasm for that brand. Personally, I find those forums to be a bit biased toward their "home brands" and I tend not to visit them nearly as often as I do this eclectic forum. If I want my purchase decision reinforced, those forums are great. If I want a range of opinions that I can mull over and evaluate, not so much. I think a carbon fiber sub-forum would similarly become a place where those already fans of carbon fiber guitars would congregate but, in the process, reduce exposure of those guitars among the wider audience of players and owners.

Just my view, of course. I'm not the one paying the rent here and I'm happy to go along with whatever decisions "management" makes. But if I were selling carbon fiber guitars, I'd prefer the wider audience of the general forum, with all its potential new customers, to the narrower sub-forum whose members already have what I'm offering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber