The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 AM

I agree with Brett. Approach Youtube lessons with some level of caution before giving too much credence to a certain player. I've begun exploring Flamenco recently and the number of technically poor lessons ‘teaching’ Rasqueado is frustrating. Some of these so-called "expert" guitar tutorials are anything but expert.
-Cort SFX6R, signed by Tommy Emmanuel FOR SALE!
-Epiphone Les Paul FOR SALE!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 AM

I learned to play some neat instrumentals from watching Youtube videos:

Windy and Warm

Cannonball Rag

This one took me about six weeks to learn, a little bit every day:

Classical Gas

(lesson one of 10)

Just do a search on Youtube; if it's a well-known song, it's probably on there.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 AM

I agree that there are some poor lessons on Youtube, but there are good ones too, like this one:

Fuller Blues
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
I know what you mean. I took up guitar 25 years ago (on and off). Up til the past two and a half years, if someone asked me to "play something" there was not one song I could play. Just chords, riffs, and bits and pieces of things. Songs I'd written, I'd long forgotten, and I never bothered to learn real songs.

So when I took up playing again, I finally decided to get some books of tab and learn some songs I liked - and really practice them til I could play them (not just give up after a few bars and go on to the next one).

It sounds like you know enough to teach yourself - I'd look at some books/on-line and see what kind of solo songs you'd like to learn and spend some time on them. I've learned more from learning songs than any other way, and it's great to be able to play a tune or two when you feel like doing it.

Dvds are really fun too - lots of great stuff out there these days, something for everyone (blues, jazz, country, folk, modern, etc.). Very nice way to learn things as well.
I agree with this. Take a break from teachers, and take more responsibilty of your own learning by digging out some solo material you like, as Shawlie suggests. Visit the guitarvideos.com website - they have video clips of virtually everything they sell on DVD. This gives you an idea of the range of material and allows you to better clarify what you would like to play yourself.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyver View Post
I agree that there are some poor lessons on Youtube, but there are good ones too, like this one:

Fuller Blues
Thats right mate, You have to be careful looking for the right teacher, and I've found him the comments speak for themselves....Best Teacher on you tube and so on...you can make requests he is funny and explains everything.
Check this out please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13VE...eature=related

this is just a taste of what he can do have a look through his stuff, I have about 50 of his videos on my favourites, and isn't this way of learning exactly like learning from DVD's? I have learnt so much from his way of teaching I don't seek out any other teachers unless he doesn't cover the song I'm lookling for then I feel like I'm cheating on him

Daza.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:39 AM

I was in the same boat since coming back to the guitar about ten years ago. I puttered along, not learning much -- until I got my hands on GuitarPro from Arobas Software (no financial interest, though I wish...). I wanted to learn to flatpick bluegrass tunes, and I discovered that a great number of Steve Kaufman's teaching arrangements at simple, intermediate and advanced levels were available online in GuitarPro format. I started with a simple flatpicking arrangement of Wildwood Flower in tab form (the software will display both tab and standard notation, and will import Tabledit files perfectly). The program let me play it at whatever speed I wanted, and would let me create loops so that I could go over and over measures that were giving me trouble. I could play lead, it would play rhythm; if I wanted to do the rhythm, it would play the lead at whatever speed I set, with no pitch change. I worked through the simple, intermediate and advanced tabs on my own, with no trouble, and have gone on from there. At more advanced levels, you can do your own tunes with many tracks, you can transpose, you can do just about anything.

At one point, when I upgraded the software from one major version to the next, I was one of the first 1000 customers to do so -- so they sent me a bonus: the complete My Song Book archive, with tens of thousands of tabs in GuitarPro format -- flatpicking, fingerstyle, jazz, blues, rock, country, classical, you name it. More music than I'm capable of learning in a couple of lifetimes -- cool!

It still takes me a while to get a new tune in my head, but without the software, I'd be completely hopeless. Would I like to work with a great bluegrass flatpicking teacher? Sure. Am I likely to find one wandering around in the wilds of the south of France? Well....maybe not. So, for the moment, it's me, my Mac (GP is available for both Mac and PC), and the Bourgeois...

Old 08-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
I was in the same boat since coming back to the guitar about ten years ago. I puttered along, not learning much -- until I got my hands on GuitarPro from Arobas Software (no financial interest, though I wish...). I wanted to learn to flatpick bluegrass tunes, and I discovered that a great number of Steve Kaufman's teaching arrangements at simple, intermediate and advanced levels were available online in GuitarPro format. I started with a simple flatpicking arrangement of Wildwood Flower in tab form (the software will display both tab and standard notation, and will import Tabledit files perfectly). The program let me play it at whatever speed I wanted, and would let me create loops so that I could go over and over measures that were giving me trouble. I could play lead, it would play rhythm; if I wanted to do the rhythm, it would play the lead at whatever speed I set, with no pitch change. I worked through the simple, intermediate and advanced tabs on my own, with no trouble, and have gone on from there. At more advanced levels, you can do your own tunes with many tracks, you can transpose, you can do just about anything.

At one point, when I upgraded the software from one major version to the next, I was one of the first 1000 customers to do so -- so they sent me a bonus: the complete My Song Book archive, with tens of thousands of tabs in GuitarPro format -- flatpicking, fingerstyle, jazz, blues, rock, country, classical, you name it. More music than I'm capable of learning in a couple of lifetimes -- cool!

It still takes me a while to get a new tune in my head, but without the software, I'd be completely hopeless. Would I like to work with a great bluegrass flatpicking teacher? Sure. Am I likely to find one wandering around in the wilds of the south of France? Well....maybe not. So, for the moment, it's me, my Mac (GP is available for both Mac and PC), and the Bourgeois...
I have Guitar Pro as well but never use it any more I prefer to see someone playing right in front of me and learn stuff that way, I talking about YT of course. It has also helped thousands of people around the world too.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Man! Your post made me sad. I hope all of us gave you some ideas. You have learned a ton already. Now, I think you just need a touch of focus and to remember to have fun.

I have no idea what you like. So here's some suggestions.

I really learned a ton from Deltabluestips on youtube. His handle is misleading as he's about 65% blues and loves the Beatles, folk, and classic pop/rock acoustic. He's great for focusing in on a song. Well, focusing is not the right word---hyperfocusing, is more like it. And that's why he might be helpful to you. You may just need a little focus.

I'd dump some time into learning something like Eric Clapton's "Signe" from his unplugged album. It's all instrumental and sounds great in its native solo arrangement. You'll get it under your fingers in no time. Buy the tab from Hal Leonard just to keep your confidence up.

How about starting on some easy jazz standards arrangements for acoustic? I'm not sure what you're into but I've enjoyed playing easier arrangements of things like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," "Fly Me to the Moon," etc. You can find a good Fred Sokolow video over at Stefan Grossman's or the homespun site.

Perhaps the very first place you might want to start is a nice little piece like McCartney's "Blackbird." It holds up well without vocals and gets you moving up and down the neck.

I've even killed time by playing TV Theme Songs, which may people laugh. I did the "Golden Girls" for my wife, which she thought was hysterical.

Don't criticize yourself or allow yourself to get down unless you're using that frame of mind to focus on improving one specific thing. Keep going and have fun.

Focus!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM

Don't fret, ok I had to say it. That classical training is key, what all western music is spun from. It will help you out you just don't know it yet. I was at a party last week and these girls kept asking me do you know "...." or how about "....." And I'm like what am I a freek'n Ipod? I started pulling out stuf and they knew it and sang along unfortunately. Your not, or Im not, going to know a ton of songs by all these people and have them sound amazing right now. I have a fiend who can do that, but non of his songs sound that good. How about making some songs of your own? The ipod idea some one else had was good, focus on a select few songs you really like. I get really frustrated too, I'm dyslexic and hate learning, well from words. I spend a lot of time playing, what some say noodling around but its learning with my methodology. Keep it fun just play the crap out of that gitfiddle and never give up even if they are dragging you away. You'l get there.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhiller View Post
Man! Your post made me sad. I hope all of us gave you some ideas. You have learned a ton already. Now, I think you just need a touch of focus and to remember to have fun.

I have no idea what you like. So here's some suggestions.

I really learned a ton from Deltabluestips on youtube. His handle is misleading as he's about 65% blues and loves the Beatles, folk, and classic pop/rock acoustic. He's great for focusing in on a song. Well, focusing is not the right word---hyperfocusing, is more like it. And that's why he might be helpful to you. You may just need a little focus.

I'd dump some time into learning something like Eric Clapton's "Signe" from his unplugged album. It's all instrumental and sounds great in its native solo arrangement. You'll get it under your fingers in no time. Buy the tab from Hal Leonard just to keep your confidence up.

How about starting on some easy jazz standards arrangements for acoustic? I'm not sure what you're into but I've enjoyed playing easier arrangements of things like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," "Fly Me to the Moon," etc. You can find a good Fred Sokolow video over at Stefan Grossman's or the homespun site.

Perhaps the very first place you might want to start is a nice little piece like McCartney's "Blackbird." It holds up well without vocals and gets you moving up and down the neck.

I've even killed time by playing TV Theme Songs, which may people laugh. I did the "Golden Girls" for my wife, which she thought was hysterical.

Don't criticize yourself or allow yourself to get down unless you're using that frame of mind to focus on improving one specific thing. Keep going and have fun.

Focus!
I have to agree with you there on Deltabluestips on YouTube, he is brilliant, his accent is hard to understand sometimes, and not 100% forth coming on each and every move sometimes its watch this.... do it like this....But man can he play!!! I thought I might try that song Signe, have a crack anyway...started watching his Hey Hey....EC Unplugged one....what have you tried?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
I have to agree with you there on Deltabluestips on YouTube, he is brilliant, his accent is hard to understand sometimes, and not 100% forth coming on each and every move sometimes its watch this.... do it like this....But man can he play!!! I thought I might try that song Signe, have a crack anyway...started watching his Hey Hey....EC Unplugged one....what have you tried?
I've tried a bunch of them. He used to have up even more classic acoustic pop/rock stuff. He did one of Hey Joe (Hendricks version) that took you step by step through playing chordal melodic riffs.

What's so great about his lessons is the super intense focus and slow speed. He will belabor a nuance or technique and turn off many watchers, but if you focus and stay with him you'll learn the trade--not the tricks of the trade.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 PM

Default Ah Ha !

You need an 'ah ha' moment for a lack of better term or an epiphany if you want to be philosophical about it.

Good Luck,

Harmonics101
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM

It's amazing how much more you gain simply by playing with someone else. Even if they are the same level of expertise.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
It's amazing how much more you gain simply by playing with someone else. Even if they are the same level of expertise.
Yeah I agree but I can't actually speak from experience. although I have a buddy that can play and is probably a bit better than me doersn't have a guitar at present and I'm always on his caser to get one...and he's looking then we'll jam together....can't wait.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 AM

I've played 3 years on and off, and i could manage something around 10 solo pieces. Couldn't be bothered with the ending for quite a few of them. My recommendation, find a song you really like, practise it until you are good enough to perform it, then move on. Your current skill level doesn't matter as learning any difficult song would upgrade your skillz by a significant amount.

I started out with classical gas on a crappy nylon stringer. Got sick of it after realising i was following the wrong tabs for 6 months. Moved on to Tommy Emmanuel pieces (these are hard) and learnt a few. In between, i found a couple of lovely Masaki Kishibe pieces that aren't too hard, although the alternate tuning part may be a little annoying. Ulli Boegershausen also has quite a few enjoyable pieces.

For me, i feel that the best way to learn is to just keep plugging away at a piece while watching it being performed by pros. You'll progress very quickily this way. Now i can play stuff like Angelina (TE) and Kiss from a rose (Ulli Boeger) quite proficiently (once my nails grow back). Don't be too intimidated by the difficulty of the piece. Just do it bit by bit and you'll eventually get the hang of things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD