The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-22-2021, 07:01 PM

Default Se electronics se8

Anyone have any experience or even better some sound clips of these mics for classical guitar?
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I've had my SE8 mics for a couple of years, I'm really pleased with them and consider them great value, not feeling the need to go for any others, or revert to my LDC mics. However, I haven't recorded anything with my classical guitar that I can share.

On my steel-string recordings I don't use picks - just finger tips / ramped nails, as I like round, warm tone, as I do on my classical. Not the same I know... but you can access recordings made on steel strings via my signature link below.

Since 2019 all my recordings are with these mics either alone or with an SE VR2 active ribbon mic. The most recent recordings are with a Sound Devices MixPre 3 recording interface - prior to that I used a Zoom H5 as in this example:

Johsefins Dopvals - No EQ, some reverb.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 01-23-2021, 11:05 AM

Excellent. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2021, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I've had my SE8 mics for a couple of years, I'm really pleased with them and consider them great value, not feeling the need to go for any others, or revert to my LDC mics.
Since 2019 all my recordings are with these mics either alone or with an SE VR2 active ribbon mic. ...[/URL]
What kind of setup are you using with the SDC pair and that ribbon? I have been staring at the VR1 and VR2 for some time now. (The noise spec of 18 or 19dB seems a little high. Is it?)
Old 01-24-2021, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
What kind of setup are you using with the SDC pair and that ribbon? I have been staring at the VR1 and VR2 for some time now. (The noise spec of 18 or 19dB seems a little high. Is it?)
To cut a very long story short - I started with an sE8 and VR2 in MS, then after experimenting I preferred using near coincident to span sound-hole + VR2 as side(s) on both. 'An Ciarraioch Mallaithe' in my signature is an example.

I use similar gain settings on VR2 to sE8 as it has active circuitry and havn't been concerned by noise. I play loudly compared to some - which helps...

I should add - considering the OP’s original question - that the use of the VR2 was more to experiment with MS than because of any dissatisfaction with the use of the sE8 mics on their own.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 01-24-2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Added last comment
Old 01-24-2021, 07:59 AM
Musical minimalist

Almost all of the recordings on my Soundcloud page were done with and SE5 and the last few with my heavily modified Solista. Their mics are a huge bang for the buck and I can't imagine ever needing anything else. I've not compared the SE8 to the SE5, but I've got to think they are pretty similar.

These recordings are straight into a 20 plus year old Tascam DP-01FX.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD