The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-17-2021, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post

I think what you really want is a phone with a mixer, rather than a mixer that connects to the internet.
Yeah, that was why I suggested an Apogee interface to an iphone. Pretty much nails the requirements, I think, except perhaps the price point. It's also worth noting that at least right now most streaming services limit the audio quality. Facebook is basically 160bps mp3 quality, while You Tube seems to be even lower. So I'm not sure the idea of high quality preamps is all that important, at least for now, and basically any inexpensive mixer that can interface to a phone should be fine. And that's ignoring the whole question of what people are listening to those streams on.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Some digital mixers will do most of what you want. The Behringer XR18 has sixteen Midas preamps and will output all channels separately, pre or post effects and faders, via USB, although not USB-C. There is a bit of a learning curve, however.
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the refresh of the XR-18 series (midas preamps, 18 channels in/out)

If I were younger (I'm 72 yrs old at the time this thread is active), and building a small studio, a unit like this would probably be the mixer aspect for a studio. I'm pretty online literate, but most musicians are not.

It misses the mark for my Holdout List on several important counts…
  • No software/WiFi/iPad-smartphone interfaces
  • Hard adjustment controls
  • Battery powered/operated
  • Built in monitor
  • Under 3 pounds
  • Intuitive for live work
  • Quick setup/teardown

I started this holdout because I'm planning to do some decent quality musical streaming online, and some personal video/music recording and family-history-story telling (for family at their request), and am currently limited to 2 XLR/line level channels.

Rather than just replacing my 2 channel interface, I'd prefer to incorporate functions, increase capacity, and consolidate the mixing/recording part of the rig and then make it easily portable.

All I want is a laptop, the Logitech Brio camera, the mixer/sound-interface/mic rig. And I want to be able to invite a friend who is familiar with mixers run the sound while I play/sing (so all I have to do is play/sing).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-17-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the refresh of the XR-18 series (midas preamps, 18 channels in/out)

If I were younger (I'm 72 yrs old at the time this thread is active), and building a small studio, a unit like this would probably be the mixer aspect for a studio. I'm pretty online literate, but most musicians are not.

It misses the mark for my Holdout List on several important counts…
  • No software/WiFi/iPad-smartphone interfaces
  • Hard adjustment controls
  • Battery powered/operated
  • Built in monitor
  • Under 3 pounds
  • Intuitive for live work
  • Quick setup/teardown

I started this holdout because I'm planning to do some decent quality musical streaming online, and some personal video/music recording and family-history-story telling (for family at their request), and am currently limited to 2 XLR/line level channels.

Rather than just replacing my 2 channel interface, I'd prefer to incorporate functions, increase capacity, and consolidate the mixing/recording part of the rig and then make it easily portable.

All I want is a laptop, the Logitech Brio camera, the mixer/sound-interface/mic rig. And I want to be able to invite a friend who is familiar with mixers run the sound while I play/sing (so all I have to do is play/sing).
The XR18 does have IOS/Android interfaces, but yes, it doesn't meet your other criteria.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
The XR18 does have IOS/Android interfaces, but yes, it doesn't meet your other criteria.
Hi Patrick
I'm going off-topic a bit (it's my thread so I can drift with a clear conscience).

The entire Midas/Behringer line are great. And they continue to improve it.

The Behringer X32 is starting to show some age (it's still very usable) which is why they developed the 'Wing' series.

I'm hoping they update the XR18 and smaller lineup this year. An 8 XLR model, including Midas preamps, USB and iOS/Android interaction, and battery operable would be tantalizing for video and small session use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-18-2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason: speeling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD