The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-09-2021, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Bean bag chair as acoustic treatment

Its getting desperate in my recording area.

I found a couple of my grandson's bean bag chairs that they used to sit on when playing video games or surfing their phones when they were staying here. They left them behind with us as they moved into a smaller place. These things are about 3 to 4' across and filled with I don't know what. They aren't heavy, but they have to absorb something so I thought I would put one to the test. I have another so I'm thinking about using them both at a later date. They won't replace real panels, but what the heck.

So I grabbed one and put it on top of the bed about 18" in front of me. I'm using two ldc mics, one at the neck/body joint and the other at the bridge about 9 to 10" out. This is a raw file, not even a hipass. I think things sound a bit better. Not a lot better but it does sound like an improvement to my ears. Maybe its wishful thinking, but .....

I'm just learning this piece so my timing isn't right yet.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 01-09-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:55 PM

Well, anything that isn't a hard, reflective surface will be better than something that is. But if the outer material isn't acoustically transparent, the filling makes no difference anyway. It's likely they're acting more as diffusers than absorbers.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Well, anything that isn't a hard, reflective surface will be better than something that is. But if the outer material isn't acoustically transparent, the filling makes no difference anyway. It's likely they're acting more as diffusers than absorbers.
Its very soft, just a cloth wrapping. I'll have to try out using two.

My SoundCloud page

Old 01-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Its very soft, just a cloth wrapping. I'll have to try out using two.
Hi Barry

My quick-n-dirty modification is "Throw a soft-nap blanket over about anything and it becomes more audio-recording-friendly." (and anti-reflective).

I don't think there is anything particularly unique about bean-bag-chairs which fit into the section of my brain labeled 'anti-reflective materials'.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Barry

My quick-n-dirty modification is "Throw a soft-nap blanket over about anything and it becomes more audio-recording-friendly." (and anti-reflective).

I don't think there is anything particularly unique about bean-bag-chairs which fit into the section of my brain labeled 'anti-reflective materials'.

I'm thinking of the bean bag chair as a thick blanket

My SoundCloud page

Old 01-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm thinking of the bean bag chair as a thick blanket
Hi Barry

I like recording people in familiar (to them) surroundings, and when improvising I lean on blankets, and closer mic placement to break up the reflections and control room noise as much as possible.

Many of these spaces (including my old studio in the basement) have very limited space, and I cannot afford to drop an additional piece of furniture into the rooms.

But if you do it, how about some A/B comparison (before/after) recordings for us?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-11-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Barry

I like recording people in familiar (to them) surroundings, and when improvising I lean on blankets, and closer mic placement to break up the reflections and control room noise as much as possible.

Many of these spaces (including my old studio in the basement) have very limited space, and I cannot afford to drop an additional piece of furniture into the rooms.

But if you do it, how about some A/B comparison (before/after) recordings for us?

I will later this week. The bean bag chair really isn't furniture, but in a way it is,

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD