The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-08-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmo View Post
Thank you for all the responses so far! It's been really great to read and definitely sheds some perspective. There will always be room in my collection for at least one great wood guitar, but the CF seems to have a lot of benefits from what you all have shared. I am definitely going to keep my eye out for good opportunities, particularly on used CF guitars to see what it's all about.

I travel back and forth certain regions and some places are constantly humid all year round. I find it more troublesome to deal with high humidity than low humidity, despite low humidity being more dangerous for instruments.

I have tried a Sable before and did enjoy the sound from it. I would love to try an Emerald but it's almost impossible to find one to test before making the plunge.

Masmo,
Where are you located? Perhaps there are members in your area who have a CF guitar you could try.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Masmo,
Where are you located? Perhaps there are members in your area who have a CF guitar you could try.
I typically spend time in upstate New York but am out of the country at the moment. I may potentially move nearer to NYC in the future which should open some options.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
The last 3 guitars I've purchased have all been CF.
No more wood acoustic guitars for me.
+1 except for me last 2 guitars. Both guilt-free hanging from the wall and handy as can be. Both small (Cargo, X7) which CF seems better at than wood.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:08 AM

My response echoes most of them here. I live in Tucson and rarely played my good acoustic (a Taylor 510) because it lives in its case and out of sight means out of mind.

I bought an in-stock X20 based on the talk on this forum. It had some major QC issues so I returned it, and had a custom built. That one also had some QC issues (slight neck twist) so I had it plek-ed to even out the relief on the bass and treble sides. The whole thing was very stressful and in the end, Emerald blew off my concerns and I paid for it all myself. Plek work was at San Francisco Guitarworks, so not particularly cheap plus shipping both ways. My already >3k guitar ended up costing about 4. I still get a bit salty if I dwell on this.

Now - I have a guitar that I love. It hangs on the wall in the main part of the house and I played it all summer out in the Tucson sun while the kids swam. I don't care about the hot sun (as long as it doesn't get too hot to touch) and I don't care about the water splashes it gets. Does it sound better than my Taylor? Absolutely not. But it plays far better, gets 100x more time, and I am a better guitarist because of that.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Emerald blew off my concerns and I paid for it all myself. Plek work was at San Francisco Guitarworks, so not particularly cheap plus shipping both ways. My already >3k guitar ended up costing about 4. I still get a bit salty if I dwell on this.
Bummer, I remember reading about this but don't remember reading about the outcome. I guess everyone loses in situations like this. The extra grand you spent getting it fixed could have gone to another Emerald.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:30 PM

Three of my last four guitar purchases were carbon fiber. I still have the three of them (all carbon fiber) with me.

My first carbon fiber experience was a late 2013 X20 that plays wonderfully and is my normal goto guitar for traveling or busking.

I have a Lucky 13 that I almost didn't get a year later. I was bouncing between the Lucky and a CEO7. I finally went with the Lucky 13. What a neat guitar.

Last year I got a Kestrel. It's amazing in so many ways. It's a jazz guitar, but plays well busking too. The reason it's not my primary busking guitar is that it's fragile. The tail piece comes off when I sneeze too hard, so I spend time when I should be playing putting all the Lego pieces back together. Since I can't travel with it, I leave it sitting out at home.

I can't say I need/want another guitar, but I am saving up just in case. I have my mind set on getting an X30-12 at some point. I don't see getting another wood guitar, but I also won't say no to something falling in my lap if it plays well enough.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-11-2020, 09:56 AM

Recognizing that “better” is merely an opinion, but without such descriptive terms the forum ceases to exist, I’ll add this.

I recently acquired a used Emerald X30 for no other reason than I wanted a guitar to take on RV trips. I had played a CF guitar only once and didn’t like it at all.

This X30 is one of the best guitars I’ve ever played in over 40 years of running the racks at as many guitar stores as I could find, all across the country. It’s “better” than most name brand wooden guitars in tone and playability. It’s balanced, articulate, and a work of art as well.

It has completely changed my opinion of what is possible with CF. Everyone who has heard the guitar is floored by its voice and power and everyday I count myself very fortunate to have come across this incredible instrument purely by accident.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-11-2020, 11:54 AM

Interesting thread. I just ordered a Sable this morning. I just started playing again (a few months ago) after about ten years of not playing at all. Prior to that I was sort of a serial guitar buyer/reseller - Taylors, a Bashkin, a McPherson, Breedlove.

So anyway, finding that yes I did want to continue playing again, I started shopping around. Having been completely out of the guitar world for so long, I didn't have any idea of the new developments in CF guitars. So many are saying so many nice things about them, I just couldn't resist the urge to try one for myself. I went with the Sable because I like McPherson as a brand. And, I figure if it doesn't suit me for some reason, I can move it and try an Emerald, or go back to wood.

So, now that I'm a member of the club, do I get a plastic decoder ring and instructions for a secret handshake?
Old 12-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysd View Post
So, now that I'm a member of the club, do I get a plastic decoder ring and instructions for a secret handshake?
Not until you post some pictures of your Sable....which configuration did you get? I have several wood guitars too, but the Sable is number one and makes one wonder why own any other guitars, I thought it to be that good.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Not until you post some pictures of your Sable....which configuration did you get? I have several wood guitars too, but the Sable is number one and makes one wonder why own any other guitars, I thought it to be that good.
I went with the Honeycomb/Gold. I'll prob post pics, but really, they all look exactly the same don't they? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not plastic, please - our decoder rings are made only of CF
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-11-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I went with the Honeycomb/Gold. I'll prob post pics, but really, they all look exactly the same don't they? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.
It's a great guitar and the Touring is also very nice. They are both the most refined CF guitars I've played tonally. I think you are going to love it.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll prob post pics, but really, they all look exactly the same don't they?
You got a point there.....
Old 12-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
But they are not all yours! Pics anyway....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber