The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-12-2020, 09:48 AM

Default New mic shopping

As my trusty old AKG P220 is starting to have issues (drying it in a ziploc with desiccant packs works), I'm looking around.
The Rode NT1 kit was on my short list, but then I came across TechZone Audio's Stellar X2 Vintage - anyone here every use one?
https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/137/stellar-x2/

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-12-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

There is no reason why in our modern age of Technologies and innovations that we should not be able to make a great sounding microphone at an affordable Price.
However, more often than not, the promise is usually greater than the delivery. Time and time again I have been let down by advertised claims. That is not to say, that a good recording can not be made with these kinds of mics. They usually can.
Most of these mics are made using generic parts. In other words, they buy parts from Asia and then assemble. As an example it looks like the Body is identical to the Roswell Mink K47. At least this company is using a Japanese milar. And there Youtube demo does sound nice. So who knows.
My suggestion would be to purchase a Used Audio Technica 4050. You can find them easily for $350 to $400 in great condition. This is a Japanese made microphone using (what I believe) is their own capsules made in their own factories.
I have a pair of 4050's and they are very nice. Our own highly respected AFG member, Doug Young, uses a stereo version of this mic and has made multiple beautiful sounding recordings. And Stephen Wake, who use to visit the AGF, makes wonderful music using a pair of these 4050's as well.
Take in mind, regardless of mics, there are other things to consider. A mic is only part of the recording battle. Your room acoustics, interface, and ultimately your performance make up a large part of the final result. With that being said, the AT4050 is a solid performer and offers Cardiod, omni and figure 8. It think you would be very happy with one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLm7O2hIYIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70uGkbNw3wY
Old 11-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I like to go with studio standards if I can, or what I know others have used and liked. I would probably choose the AT4050 largely based on what I have heard from Doug and Stephen Wake. I'm sure the Rode is probably nice too, but I have never used it. Multiple polar patterns is nice.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:20 PM
Eric Skye

I used 4050's on my first few albums. My long time friend and engineer here in Portland has a pretty impressive big-dollar mic locker, but more of than not he starts with his trusted AT4050's
Old 11-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Used AT4050s are way over my budget. Recommendations in my price range welcome - I have an Amazon gift card I can use, so new is my best bet.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

This guy does fairly even-handed reviews (you just have to accept a few seconds of silliness at the start). He actually does a quick, voice-only comparison of the mic against the NT1 in the middle, and there's a link to that spot below the insert. Myself, I preferred the NT1 right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-L3DTfhfVA&t=308s
Old 11-16-2020, 10:22 AM

TZ just released a new 'X3' mic, so I'm guessing the X2 may not have been ideal.
Decided to go with the Rode NT1, for its history, only to see they have apparently redesigned the shockmount and built-in pop filter. Some online places show the old design, some the new (I don't like the new non-adjustable pop filter's look). But I have a decent clamp-on pop filter anyway, so ended up ordering the NT1 form GC - because they had a 20% off coupon and are the only online place that offers use of multiple CCs and/or gift cards. ZZounds, AmericanMusical, when called, neither could offer that payment option. Didn't ask Sweetwater as they didn't have it in stock.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-23-2020, 10:39 AM

It was the old style (Rycote) shockmount and pop filter that came in the other day. Haven't had the chance to record with it yet.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-23-2020, 03:03 PM

I'm no expert in this area but have had a good experience with the AKGC414B. I use it on acoustic guitars and vocals at home.
An engineer buddy said it's not a good fit for my style and suggested the Ear Trumpet Labs mic that everybody in Bluegrass seems to be using.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
As my trusty old AKG P220 is starting to have issues (drying it in a ziploc with desiccant packs works), I'm looking around.
The Rode NT1 kit was on my short list, but then I came across TechZone Audio's Stellar X2 Vintage - anyone here every use one?
Hi MB-music
I've used Rode NT-1 mics and they're capable of capturing decent recordings.

What do you expect the NT-1 to accomplish/capture your AKG P220 cannot? Sounds like it's still functioning. I'd not be afraid to team them up.

Your recording 'space' and 'preamp' are going to contribute as much to the sound your are capturing as that mic. It's a capable large diaphragm unit.

Please tell us more about your recording 'setup' and 'goals'.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-23-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I have several "low end" mics, including the NT-1.

My two favorite "go to" mics in my mic cabinet are:

Small diaphragm: AKG P170 This sdc performs way above what it should based on price. I'd use it in preference to much higher priced sdcs.

Large diaphragm: Roswell Mini K-47 This LDC is simply one of those mics that you can call one of the home recordist's "best kept secrets". Does it jump out at you? No, and that's precisely the point. It simply sounds honest and true. It's refreshing to plug in a "bargain" LDC and not hear the typical hyped top end that you get in the sub-$300 mic market.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi MB-music
I've used Rode NT-1 mics and they're capable of capturing decent recordings.

What do you expect the NT-1 to accomplish/capture your AKG P220 cannot? Sounds like it's still functioning. I'd not be afraid to team them up.

Your recording 'space' and 'preamp' are going to contribute as much to the sound your are capturing as that mic. It's a capable large diaphragm unit.

Please tell us more about your recording 'setup' and 'goals'.

As I said at the start, the P220 is having issues - its starts crackling when it gets humid.
I've been using the P220 and an older MXL multi-pattern LDC when I want to do 2 mic acoustic guitar recording, otherwise I use just the P220.
My interface is a Focusrite 6i4, JBL LSR305 monitors, 11'x15'x7.5' foot room with quite a bit of rockwool trapping. I have self-recorded/released 5 albums of music that varies from simple acoustic + vocals to full-on rock songs.
Just looking to continue to be able to record with low-noise and accurate sound.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-06-2020, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm late to this thread but I have an NT-1A, which I gather is a slight step down from the NT-1. I've been very happy with it. It sounds great and true, and I've never had any issues with it. I record casually to a Tascam DP-32SD and have no complaints. But I don't have seriously higher-end mics to compare it to.

Very quiet.

Edit: Here's a site comparing the NT-1A and NT-1, since there's a price difference at least based on Sweetwater. If you scroll down a bit, you'll find over 20 sound files for each, though they're not exactly like-to-like. Good luck!

https://www.synapticsound.com/rode-nt1-vs-nt1a/

Last edited by Chriscom; 12-06-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Used AT4050s are way over my budget. Recommendations in my price range welcome - I have an Amazon gift card I can use, so new is my best bet.

What about the AT4040. It's basically a cardioid only version of the 4050. Cheaper, but still sounds really good.

For the price the AT 40 series is hard to beat until you are paying way more.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-08-2020, 02:13 AM

Default New mic shopping

Have you considered the Line Audio CM4? Hand made in Sweden and retails at sub $150. I have two and love them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

Last edited by Wrighty; 12-08-2020 at 03:51 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD