The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM

A guitar equipped with a Shadow nanomag and a blendable piezo will give very authentic acoustic sound.

If you have just a piezo, you get the string attack.
If you have just a nanomag, you get the harmonic overtones.

But you need both.

I sold my Epiphone Ultra 339, because it just wasn't quite cutting it. It had no piezo with the nanomag, and did not give a convincing acoustic sound. It was a great electric, and with the nanomag blended in certainly sounded more rich than a usual electric, but it did not sound like an acoustic.

My vote is for Nanomag + Piezo
Old 10-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Actually my Schecter is "not" that Hellraiser; it is a C-1 E/A, no longer available. It is an awesome guitar and has passive humbuckers. I had real Seamour Duncan pickups installed, covered.

Here is a link to an active Craigslist one being offered for sale; no affln. of any kind with the seller:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/3371400292.html

Here is an exact picture of it:

Here is a review with some info you might find interesting:

Quote:
I can't believe the sound of this thing. It is comparable to my 88' Guild Nightbird GG. Further, the guitar has a top-end that--no kidding-- reminds me of a Richenbacher. Going (sraight) through a Twin, a Marshal, and a Mesa, it totally holds it's own. The possibilities for sound shaping are vast with the possible "stereo" option using the piezo jack.
Running the piezo jack into a Fender Acoustic amp, then mixing the sounds gives you all kinds of textures. Very well made. The neck (to me at least) is roughly a cross between a Gibson and Fender. Very freindly, can't find a dead spot on it.
Unquote.

Last edited by Duff; 10-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

That looks really nice! The Craig's List guitar is about 3 hours from me, and really makes me think about a day trip!!

Thanks very much!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Here's what my gear mentor who owns a vintage shop told me after I'd played exclusively acoustic for 9 years and wanted to go electric: "get a tele, single-coils, flip it to the neck position, roll the tone all the way off, then dial it in until you feel comfortable...." I know how to play to different electric tones, but that was really helpful advice when I was crossing-over. Everything I played on the acoustic sounded good on the tele this way.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
That looks really nice! The Craig's List guitar is about 3 hours from me, and really makes me think about a day trip!!

Thanks very much!!

Mike, I'm glad you liked that Schecter C-1 E/A and found it interesting.

I don't think it has a shredders neck at all. In person the guitar looks much more awesome. To me it just "exudes" class and my first thoughts were that this is how the classy old Gibsons must have looked. It just seems to have a radiant classy vibe that resonates to some long forgotten beauty.

Then when I rigged it up stereo, with the "Y" cable to my Crate sixty watt green Gunnison acoustic amp and my old fifty watt Crate V50 all tube amp, long since blown up, the resultant sound, or should I say sounds, was really a refined excellent sound. Full acoustic was a mind blower and full humbucker was awesome. Since then I replaced the duncan designed very decent pickups with covered Seymour Duncans - a '59 neck and JB bridge. It sounds even better. A super good guitar player I know has played it and he really likes it. It is the acoustic channel that makes this guitar so strikingly remarkable.

Just straight in, mono, thru my Deluxe Reverb Reissue the acoustic channel sounds great; very very clean and crystal clear - something like a high quality P90 rig.

I would suggest emailing the guy or giving him a call to get him to hold onto that guitar for you if you are even slightly thinking about buying it because these guitars are rare and that one looks like it is in mint condition. I have no affln. with the seller. It is just that I have seen these super nice items sell quick, too quick, and I have found myself wishing that I had put a downpayment or something on things, because I knew I wanted them and I just hesitated and sure enough, "He who hesitates is lost" kicked in and I was out of luck.

I bought a couple used mint PRS SE's and I am now at the point where I would not hesitate to buy a used guitar if I liked it. Before I used to want only brand new stuff. Well, you can't get the Schecter C-1 E/A new, so the used avenue is one that has to be explored if you want one of these.

Dude, here is Schecter's phone number if you want to call them and ask some tech or engineer about the C-1 E/A. I have it in my iphone's memory. I like to keep hard to find numbers like these in my phone's memory. Schecter 800 660 6621

I hope this info and the number helps. I hope you get that guitar and find that you are happy with it. My confidence is high and a three hour drive would be worth a mint version of that guitar, at that price, if you ask me. I think it is a significant find.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Last edited by Duff; 11-01-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM

To me, the "for an acoustic player" seems like kind of a red herring, and might steer one in a suboptimal direction.

Because I, for one, don't play the same music on electric and acoustic, mostly, and I don't play them the same way.

I prefer 1-3/4" nut width on acoustics, but for electrics the standard nut width is fine. As one example.

What electric one might prefer depends mostly on what they are using it for, and personal preference. And very little to do with being primarily an acoustic player.

There is no uniformly "best" electric guitar choice for everyone, any more than there is one "best" choice for acoustic guitars.

Last edited by FPicker; 11-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Duff,

Thanks for all the great info!! I'm going to check out with Schecter as to what model might be current that has a similar neck so I can play it locally to be sure before I can commit to the drive. I'm definitely sensitive to neck shapes and sizes. Also, I am in NY (on Long Island) and in the aftermath of the storm, I don't have enough gas to get me even close to there, and no assurance that I'll be able to buy gas along the way just yet. Also, no power, so I've suddenly got more on my plate than buying another guitar. Hopefully it will still be available in a week or so.

Again, many thanks,
Mike

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Duff,

Thanks for all the great info!! I'm going to check out with Schecter as to what model might be current that has a similar neck so I can play it locally to be sure before I can commit to the drive. I'm definitely sensitive to neck shapes and sizes. Also, I am in NY (on Long Island) and in the aftermath of the storm, I don't have enough gas to get me even close to there, and no assurance that I'll be able to buy gas along the way just yet. Also, no power, so I've suddenly got more on my plate than buying another guitar. Hopefully it will still be available in a week or so.

Again, many thanks,
Mike
Thoughts with you and all of the folks in the Northeast Mike. What a mess. Hoping it all gets sorted soon.
Ovation Celebrity CK-047 FKOA
Line6 Variax JTV59
Taylor T-5z Pro

Peavey ValveKing 20
Fishman Loudbox Artist
TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb
Electro-Harmonix Pulsar tremolo
Boss A/B/Y switch
Steinberg UR22 USB interface
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks DR. It really is a mess here on Long Island. We have no power, but thankfully our home is OK. We have hot water and a gas fireplace that keeps the upstairs of the house comfortable. We are far better off than many, so I am not complaining. It is getting expensive, however, as we have to eat out for every meal, so at $75 - $100/day to feed my family, we're feeling it, but again, so many more lost so much more. I work in IT, and we have some clients who's homes and businesses were destroyed.

We all really appreciate the thoughts, and yesterday we met some Red Cross folks who came in from Wisconsin to help out. Assistance has been coming in from everywhere.

Again, many thanks for the good thoughts and all that many people across the country are doing to help.

All the best to all of you,
Mike

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars