The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 PM

Default this is my use, what rig do I need (ergh want)

I am trying out taking lessons over skype. As a part of that I've taken to recording and posting (private) videos for my instructor to look at. It seems to work as he picks up my errors fairly readily. I find it's good for me to see and hear my efforts. I also use you tube to host so that I can show some friends and family. I am a PC, not a Mac. (Been playing regular about a year, fingerstyle).

The sound is awful on my webcam and I expect I'll need a better mic. I'd prefer a USB mic but there does seem to be a thought to use the traditional mic with a USB pre-amp for the XLR mic to plug into (I may not be using the right words there). The Blue Yeti looks interesting.

I've got a top of $500 and I don't necessarily want to spend it all. But I do hate buying something and then realizing it doesn't get me anywhere I want to go.

Ideas, hardware, software, what's your workflow?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
I am trying out taking lessons over skype. As a part of that I've taken to recording and posting (private) videos for my instructor to look at. It seems to work as he picks up my errors fairly readily. I find it's good for me to see and hear my efforts. I also use you tube to host so that I can show some friends and family. I am a PC, not a Mac. (Been playing regular about a year, fingerstyle).

The sound is awful on my webcam and I expect I'll need a better mic. I'd prefer a USB mic but there does seem to be a thought to use the traditional mic with a USB pre-amp for the XLR mic to plug into (I may not be using the right words there). The Blue Yeti looks interesting.

I've got a top of $500 and I don't necessarily want to spend it all. But I do hate buying something and then realizing it doesn't get me anywhere I want to go.

Howdy, and welcome to AGF.

Depends on what you want to do. Many folks record to a webcam with it's built-in mic and it sounds pretty good. You may run into an issue of guitar/vocal mix not being perfect, but if your main goal is to share with family/ instructor it may not matter much.

When you say, "The sound is awful" what do you mean? Can you post a link to a video or two so we can see/hear?

It will also depend on how old/ cheap your webcam is - they've come a long way in the last few years. The Logitech C920 is a good example of a very decent webcam capable of HD and with pretty decent quality stereo mics.

If you really want to get into a mic, that tells me that you really care about audio. I'd recommend you save a little longer and get a quality large diagphram condensor mic and a multiple channel audio interface with mixing abilities that supplies phantom power.

I started with a 5 year old Dynex webcam that cost me $30 back then. The recordings sounded pretty dull and lifelless. I upgraded to a Logitech C910 for $100 and was alot happier. Problem was I do alot of strumming and in my recordings the guitar strongly overpowered my vocals. I then tried using a Zoom H4N as an audio interface, but I still couldn't separate and mix the audio/vocals. Now I'm using a MXL 770 condensor mic and plugged in guitar to an Yamaha Audiogram6 USB audio interface. This allows me to turn up the vocals and turn down the guitar, to achieve a better mix.

There are other ways to go. A recorder like my H4N allows me to record the audio separately from the video capture, then you can add the video and audio together when you render the video. I haven't gone that route yet - trying to keep it as simple as possible. I'll eventually buy a nice camcorder to increase the quality of the video. Some folks record using the built-in mic, but many folks record the audio separately with a recorder like the H4N.

Since you're on a budget I'd recommend that you start by trying to get the best possible recording with your existing webcam - there may be technical issues you can fix. If you're still not happy, then you'll have to decide if you want to try upgrading to a newer/better webcam (easiest and cheapest) or if you want to go another route.

Steve
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi jj...

I heard a Little Square Mic the other day for the first time in a broadcast situation (feed was over Skype) and it was better than the Yeti. It's $179. USB and XLR...it was rich and full and noiseless...using USB.

Little Square Mic - CLiCK

Skype would recognize it (you can choose separate video and audio inputs with Skype)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Howdy, and welcome to AGF.

When you say, "The sound is awful" what do you mean? Can you post a link to a video or two so we can see/hear?

It will also depend on how old/ cheap your webcam is - they've come a long way in the last few years. The Logitech C920 is a good example of a very decent webcam capable of HD and with pretty decent quality stereo mics.

(snip)
Steve
I actually have a respectable webcam a Logitech C910. Picture is great, but it seems like I am just too far away for my fingerstyle. The other thing is that on one of my guitars, a old 016-Ny which is an very lightweight build, it sounds jangly and out of tune on playback, but when I play it, it sounds good. I come to expect that if it sounds like that, it is like that and I just need more practice. I have a D18, that sounds much better on playback, it's almost new and not as easy to play finger style.

Share a link... ha ha. It's going to be awhile before I inflict that pain on the world.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jj...

I heard a Little Square Mic the other day for the first time in a broadcast situation (feed was over Skype) and it was better than the Yeti. It's $179. USB and XLR...it was rich and full and noiseless...using USB.

Little Square Mic - CLiCK

Skype would recognize it (you can choose separate video and audio inputs with Skype)

when you say broadcast, what do you mean?

Anyway, I like what I read on the mic, perhaps I will give this a shot.

thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

I use a USB Snowball mic to record on garageband on my iPad. It is for basic simple stuff; ie we do not mix... we just record a take and boom. Dry.

I think it is is great value.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I actually have a respectable webcam a Logitech C910. Picture is great, but it seems like I am just too far away for my fingerstyle. The other thing is that on one of my guitars, a old 016-Ny which is an very lightweight build, it sounds jangly and out of tune on playback, but when I play it, it sounds good. I come to expect that if it sounds like that, it is like that and I just need more practice. I have a D18, that sounds much better on playback, it's almost new and not as easy to play finger style.

Share a link... ha ha. It's going to be awhile before I inflict that pain on the world.

Thanks.
I guess what I'm saying is make sure that you play with your audio levels so that you're getting the best possible sound out of your c910 before you jump to purchase a mic. I found when I lowered my recording levels, the audio improved 100%. I had the recording levels, less compression was applied.

Steve
Old 03-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
when you say broadcast, what do you mean?

Anyway, I like what I read on the mic, perhaps I will give this a shot.

thanks
Hi jj...
There is an internet broadcast technology network called TWIT and one of their correspondents who joins weekly roundtables calls in via Skype. They have weekly shows about every possible format of technology - Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, Linux, Ham radios, gaming, all broadcast in 720p.

All of the local shows use either standard large diaphragm mics or high quality lapels, and most of the regular correspondents from around the country (and world) use a USB powered box with large diaphragm USB mics via their computers to Skype in.

One of them the other day sounded fabulous - and someone asked which mic he was using and it was the Little Square.

Some of their remote correspondents use the earbud/mic (made for mobile phone calls) and sound lame, but this guy sounded as good as the Heils they use in their studio.

If you want to look at their show lineup sometime (definitely for geeks) it is at TWIT - ClIcK

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD