The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Condensor Mic Placement

What would you consider a good placement for a large-diaghram condensor mic (MXL 770) to record vocals. I'm thinking 12 - 18 inches, but I see alot of folks alot closer than that.

Steve
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
What would you consider a good placement for a large-diaghram condensor mic (MXL 770) to record vocals. I'm thinking 12 - 18 inches, but I see alot of folks alot closer than that.

Steve
Don't think about it. Try it.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post

Steve
Hi Steve...
For vocals I use tall stands, and bring the mic down from on top about 15'' in front and 8'' higher than the person's mouth - slanted down toward their mouth with an 8''-10'' pop-screen in front of it.

I ask them to sing straight forward under the mic, and aim to fine-tune it after they are in place and singing, and the pop screen coupled with their singing under the mic helps prevent explosive popping of Ps, Fs, etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM

Too many variables - mic gain setting, overall vocal attack, mic sensitivity, headphone quality and volume settings and maybe even room dynamics.

Best thing to do is get some good headphones, sing into the mic as you would typically do when you record and listen via headphones. Adjust your distance to the mic or maybe adjust the headphone volume or maybe pre-amp gain or any other variable as needed and then hit record. Then listen via monitors and see if there are other settings you need to adjust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD