The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Garage band Vocal effects?

is there a harmony effect in garage band 11? If so, where is it???
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM

I don't believe there is one. At least not a one-click button. One possible workaround would be to dupe the vocal track, and alter the pitch up or down. (You probably know this already, but in case you don't: You can customize the volume in a track. By setting points, you can, for example, silence that new track except for the chorus. Or wherever you want.)

Yeah, not a quick workaround, but might work for you. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Bill - Take a GB Tutorial at Apple

Aloha,

I know it's not your cup of tea, but you might reconsider taking a tutorial or two in Garageband at your local Apple store. Your questions will be more informed and we'll be able to provide better assistance to you.

No reflection, but there really is a decent book called, "Garageband for Dummies" that could answer your question here. Check it out.

As usual, all the best, my friend.

alohachris
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Default duplicate post

duplicate post - sorry

Last edited by alohachris; 01-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 AM

Default One Option

If you're looking to do a "vocal harmony", one way would be to ...
  • Make a copy of your vocal track
  • Under "Details", add the effect "Vocal Transformer"
  • Under the defaults dropdown, you can select various options (up major third, down major third, etc.)
  • From a mix standpoint, I would add more compression to that track compared to your lead track. It's a trick I learned a while back (the closer the source, the greater the dynamic range)
You may run into some issues with offending notes (a third above or below may conflict with notes in the key that you're singing in).

Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Well, might as well test it ...

So, considering that I was merely hypothesizing about how the "faux harmonizing" would actually perform, I decided to do a test. Please pardon the vocals (basically threw a mic up and sang). The vocals were recorded with a Blue Snowball.

Vocalize Test

The first one has the doubled vocals raised a major third. The second one has the doubled vocals lowered a fourth (or the fifth, lowered an octave). You can see the settings:

Raising it a major third does have some weirdness (as I'm sure raising it a minor third would as well). Lowering it a fourth seemed to fare better.

Braddah Chris, I threw in some *local* songs in there for you

So, there you go - not perfect, but probably the way I would try harmonizing "in the box".
Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Theo!

Aloha Theo!

Wow! "Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u" is my favorite Hawaiian song of all time! As a young man 40 years ago, I used to hang in Waimanalo with Jerry & Robert as they were writing those songs for their "Seabird" album. Wow! Da memories!

Theo, you have a great voice - harmonizer aside. I mean it. I'd love to hear some of your songs sometime! I love your voice, Theo!

As much as I love playing solo guitar in open tunings & the pure beauty of an acoustic guitar played alone, I still love the acoustic guitar as a partner to a great voice & a song that tells a story. That's what I do & where I live. Thank you for sharing your voice here, Theo.

More. PM if you'd like.

And Bill, See? You don't need harmonizers. Don't distract from the simple accessibility & beauty of a voice sung solo. Or bring some friends in for harmony. Some things cannot be done well by technology. Vocal Harmony is truly among them.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 AM

Mahalo for the compliment PM will be sent here in a few minutes, but to add to this thread, here is a recording that I did (recorded right after I wrote it, around 8:30 am). I thought about redoing the recording, but there was something about the way it turned out. So, I got some friends to come over and sing some harmony for me (and contribute a lead guitar line as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
... I used to hang in Waimanalo with Jerry & Robert as they were writing those songs for their "Seabird" album. Wow!
That must have been awesome! Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u is my favorite Hawaiian song as well and I normally play it when someone asks for a song from the Islands. Makes me miss home!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Man, I can't wait to go home and try this. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Yeah its not quite working for me. I have to do the harmonizing manually......or would that be vocally?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD