The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 PM

I've often been beguiled by ES -175s, have always pulled back. Figure I can get the 335 to sound enough like a 175, and the 335 makes some sounds a 175 can't. A fully-hollow ES-330 or Epi E-230 can get very close to the 175 sound, but again can't do all that a 335 can. Hence the appeal of the semi-solid 137...
Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 PM

Being kind of new to the Jazzbox/Semi-Hollow theme and like all of you heavily fascinated by the 335, I searched the net a little and found this: http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_gib.htm - very critical about the Gibsons - not made of solid wood, not really good tuneable etc... do you guys have an opinion on this?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal alien View Post
Being kind of new to the Jazzbox/Semi-Hollow theme and like all of you heavily fascinated by the 335, I searched the net a little and found this: http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_gib.htm - very critical about the Gibsons - not made of solid wood, not really good tuneable etc... do you guys have an opinion on this?
Ed is, ummmm... unique, in the trade. He's quick to criticize, to say the least.

The ES335, ES175, and ES137 have never been solid top and bottom guitars, from the start. They were always built by laminating maple, under pressure and heat, in a form that arched the top. They are good guitars. There are many who feel that the Heritage models (built by the guys who used to run the Gibson Kalamazoo factory, in part of the old Gibson Kalamazoo factory) are better built and a better value. The same is true for the Kramer and PRS versions.

However, the Gibsons have good intonation and are very in-tune instruments and many, many hits have been recorded on them. Their chief vice is that they are spendy! If you are looking for that vintage schtick like many who grew up with the Gibsons, there's no better way to get it. I guess I happed to be one of those fools enamored with that vintage schtick... Silly me.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
......they are spendy! If you are looking for that vintage schtick like many who grew up with the Gibsons, there's no better way to get it. I guess I happed to be one of those fools enamored with that vintage schtick... Silly me.

Bob
I am another such fool. My first real life guitar inspiration was in 1965-a local guitarist with a cherry red ES 335. I thought it to be the greatest electric guitar I had ever heard. It inspired me to learn how to play. I got Sears Silvertone, and I always thought when I got good enough, I'd get a red 335. I have since owned a cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard, a cherry SG Standard, a Firebird VII , Gretsch Country Gentleman, 3 Telecasters, 2 stratocasters, and a ES 137 Custom. I guess I am still not worthy of the 335.
All that said however, the 137 Custom is truly fantastic. A bit heavy, but not bad,and the neck is chunky ( I dont think it comes with the slim 60's neck profile) but the tone sweet-raw and sweet- for blues and classic rock. The varitone control is very useful in allowing a quick voice change.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:07 AM

In the late 70s, I had an Electra 335 that looked just like the one below. It was a pretty decent guitar. Can't remember what I did with it. I do remember using it in a hard rock band in Lake Tahoe and that I'd press up & down on the strings between the bridge and the tail piece to get a vibrato/whammy effect.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal alien View Post
I'm no expert but from what I have seen, laminated plates are more accepted in the electric archtop world than in the acoustic guitar world (as a for instance). You find many laminated workhorses in the hands of professional guitarists and amateurs alike. The ES335 and ES175 are two excellent examples.

In my research, I have found that not all laminated plates are created equal. Compare the quality of plates used in a D'Aquisto, Borys or Sadowsky to the laminated plates found on an Ibanez Artcore. Completely different in terms of weight, construction and tap quality (and price). Perhaps it's like comparing the quality of the solid spruce tops found on entry level, low end imports to the solid tops found on one of the many high end, handmade guitars.

By the way, I'm not picking on or slamming artcores - excellent guitars for the money and I own two that I use regularly.

For many electric archtop players, laminated plates are actually preferred. In general, they are less affected by change in weather, they resist feedback better and they produce lower cost instruments than their solid carved top brethren.

Just food for thought...but no doubt in my mind that there are killer sounding laminated guitars in the electric archtop world.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Thumbs up Jazzboxes

Anyone tried out the Epiphone ES-175? The price is right, and the pickups
should be pretty good...
Old 11-13-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Anyone tried out the Epiphone ES-175? The price is right, and the pickups
should be pretty good...
I personally have not tried the new ES-175 reissue but I have read a couple reviews on other boards. From what I have read, the ES-175 is basically build on the Zephyr Regent chassis which I posted a review on a while back. Here is a link to my review of the Zephyr Regent: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...piphone+zephyr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars