The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-22-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Ok so you have some swirl marks, no biggie they're not going to make the guitar self-destruct. When the Virtuoso stuff comes in go ahead and give it a clean and polish, but don't stress too much about getting the swirl marks out. Just play the guitar and enjoy it until you can get it into a good tech with a buffing wheel. They can make it good as new in just a few minutes. Patience is your friend and it will keep you from messing things up worse.
It's not just swirls. There's finish hazing, probably from the alcohol or other solvents on the wet alcohol wipe. The correct thing to do is what I had suggested earlier - let the guitar air dry so the finish hardens up more again and maybe let some of the moisture escape, then take it to a professional if one is not well versed with this repair. I would not put anything that I'm not 100% confident is silicone-free on the guitar, as that is just inviting more trouble in the future.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosswind View Post
It's not just swirls. There's finish hazing, probably from the alcohol or other solvents on the wet alcohol wipe. The correct thing to do is what I had suggested earlier - let the guitar air dry so the finish hardens up more again and maybe let some of the moisture escape, then take it to a professional if one is not well versed with this repair. I would not put anything that I'm not 100% confident is silicone-free on the guitar, as that is just inviting more trouble in the future.

I’ve used Virtuoso on all of my guitars since the 80’s with no issues whatsoever. If you’re not comfortable with it then don’t use it but it is a viable product that a lot of us have been using for decades.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-22-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

You aren't the first one. Last fall as thing were lightening up a little a bunch of us were playing and someone picked up a friends guitar just to look at it. My friend got paranoid and found some sanitizing wipes to clean the cooties off of it. He got similar results. As far as I know though he is just living with it. A constant reminder I guess.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-22-2022, 12:48 PM

Compounds and polishes are still a form of *abrasive*, we’re talking very minute differences, but, still a form of abrasive.
Instrument finishes vary, how lucky do you feel?
A slight pause with a trip to someone who knows your guitars finish, is probably well advised.
Just sayin
Old 04-22-2022, 06:32 PM

I would start with Colortone Scratch Remover from Stewart-MacDonald. Use it lightly on a small area with a soft cloth to check first; I've had really good luck with it for similar finish issues.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 04-22-2022, 10:14 PM

Polishing compound will eliminate your problem. But either take it to someone who knows what they're doing or know exactly what you're doing before doing it.

And there's absolutely no reason you should be considering refinishing it - which is a very bad idea.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I agree with taking it to a pro.

If you’re going to have a go at it yourself, I think you can skip the compound and go straight to polish. I don’t think the scratches are deep enough to warrant compound.

I like Meguiar’s Show Car Glaze. It’s very mild and unlikely to cut through the finish. Also, because it’s so mild, it may take several applications which I think it good. You don’t want something that’s going to make your situation worse quickly.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

You have received the correct advice several times: the haze will almost certainly buff away with a pedestal buffer (in the right hands) in a few seconds. Some of the other suggestion will help, a couple may hinder, and if you try everything suggested your guitar will be degraded through simple wear. The ONLY solvent I recommend is water, very little of it, and dried immediately.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:36 PM

Default a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
One thing I've never understood on this forum is the impulse to keep cleaning and polishing guitars.
Folks who don't know more about maintaining their cars than their cat will polish that tin horse for hours on end so as to feel righteous about lavishing all that care they're giving it. Some of them own guitars.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Folks who don't know more about maintaining their cars than their cat will polish that tin horse for hours on end so as to feel righteous about lavishing all that care they're giving it. Some of them own guitars.

I clean and polish all my guitars. I also do my own setups.

My car gets washed by the rain, but it will probably last another 200k miles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair