The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2001, 04:05 PM

Post Anyone tried one of those "fold-up" travel guitars?

Has any one tried one of those fold-up travel guitars? There is one that advertises in Acoustic Guitar Magazine called "Soloette" that has just a frame and tuners below the bridge. It runns $600-$900...ouch. Another is called the the Traveler and its $399. I am facing a lot of travel next year and I want something I don't have to fuss with as luggage...(and frankly just got rid of my Baby....it just sounded like a toy guitar to me...and it is a luggage issue as well). Traveler Guitar Web Page
Solette
Old 12-10-2001, 07:33 PM
Bob Womack

I tried one of the nylon Soloette guitars over headphones. For someone who travels alot, it seems to be a great option. A friend lives on the road as a remote camera man and loves his. It is as solid as all get out.

Bob
Old 12-11-2001, 12:02 AM

I had a Traveler for a couple of days ... if you think the Baby sounds like a toy guitar, this one makes the Baby sound like a full size. Of course, it's small and compact.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:40 AM

I'm probably not going to find a great sound in any small guitar. I think the Larivee Parlor sounds ok...but what is really the problem is the size. I want something that can go inside my luggage, not be another piece of luggage.

Bob
Old 12-16-2001, 09:24 PM

I was on a business trip and walked off an airplane with a guy who was carrying one. I asked if I could play it and he obliged. It was a cute idea, but after all was said and done, I would rather buy an all wood travel size guitar than a the "soloette type". Either way you have to pack it and carry it. This guy carried it with a shoulder bag made for the soloette. It does have the advantage though, of playing to your hearts content in a hotel room without bothering anyone. YOu just have to be careful to take the "stethoscope style" earphones out to hear the telephone.. :-)

Ron
<><

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification