The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-10-2022, 08:39 AM

I did find Rob Ickes site. He seemed to think the Shubb was the best sounding. I don't have a lot of hope that it's going to fit, but I can always send it back if it doesn't.

I don't really care if it's not super easy to put on, as I'll only will be using it in my studio. Sweetwater has always been good about returns, so what the heck. I'll report back after I get it.

Again, thanks guys.

Roger
Old 02-15-2022, 08:40 AM

Well, the Shubb arrived yesterday. I'm pretty sure it would work, but the problem is that the string height on my dobro is too low. The minimum height apparently for the shubb to work correctly is 3/8". I'm about 2/8".

I was able to wedge it under the strings, and the mechanism seemed to clamp to the back of the neck ok. It raises the strings way too much, however, and would effect pitch. Plus it didn't sound very good.

I could get a new nut made, or shim it, but I'm maxed out at the bridge due to the piece that goes over the strings at the cover plate. So back it goes. Also, by the time I do all that, and spend who knows how much, I can just get the Beard or Charlie capo.

The journey continues.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 View Post
Well, the Shubb arrived yesterday. I'm pretty sure it would work, but the problem is that the string height on my dobro is too low. The minimum height apparently for the shubb to work correctly is 3/8". I'm about 2/8".

I was able to wedge it under the strings, and the mechanism seemed to clamp to the back of the neck ok. It raises the strings way too much, however, and would effect pitch. Plus it didn't sound very good.

I could get a new nut made, or shim it, but I'm maxed out at the bridge due to the piece that goes over the strings at the cover plate. So back it goes. Also, by the time I do all that, and spend who knows how much, I can just get the Beard or Charlie capo.

The journey continues.
Never mind. Just notice it is sold.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Try contacting the guy that makes these in the UK. I'm sure that he could put one in the post for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284295350...oAAOSwtbNgn~gT

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the link Robin. I'll check it out.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Try contacting the guy that makes these in the UK. I'm sure that he could put one in the post for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284295350...oAAOSwtbNgn~gT
These look nice, I am tempted to order one as I will be in the UK next month, even if I don't really need one ;-)

Various stringed instruments
Old 02-16-2022, 08:30 AM

They do look nice. I'm afraid they might get in the way, as they look to be kind of tall.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Hey all,

I have a 1932 Dobro that I set up for lap style, and have been playing that way for years. It has that big old v neck on it.

I recently discovered that Shubb has a capo that could potentially work. Does anyone have any experience with capo's on these necks?

Roger
Hi Roger,
If you want to keep it simple, this is the same thing I used on a square neck Mosrite Dobro:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Amazon even has them:
https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Elasti...ps%2C60&sr=8-1
It works.

Howard Emerson

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 02-17-2022 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:50 PM

Hey Howard, thanks for the link.

It's funny that one of the links was to Sweetwater. I had contacted them about returning the Shubb. Just today they got back to me. They said to just keep the capo, because at that price point it's not worth returning it. They are giving me a credit for full value, including tax!!! What!?

So, now that it's free, I'm thinking about how I can modify it to work. Might be a fun project. Wish I had a belt grinder.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:16 PM

I just got my Charlie’s a few days ago. The Shubb worked one like 2-3 frets of my guitar. I certainly wasn’t impressed. Charlie’s? Perfect!
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 02-19-2022, 11:03 AM

Well, after Sweetwater basically gave me the Shubb, I did a very slight modification to it, and it's going to work out fine. It wouldn't be the greatest for someone who needed to do quick changes of keys, or off and on, but it works for me.

I contacted Sweetwater and told them to cancel my credit. It seemed only fair, as I wouldn't have attempted the mod without them being so cool about it.

Oh yeah, it sounds good too. Not a tone killer at all.

Roger
Old 02-19-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Well, after Sweetwater basically gave me the Shubb, I did a very slight modification to it, and it's going to work out fine. It wouldn't be the greatest for someone who needed to do quick changes of keys, or off and on, but it works for me.

I contacted Sweetwater and told them to cancel my credit. It seemed only fair, as I wouldn't have attempted the mod without them being so cool about it.

Oh yeah, it sounds good too. Not a tone killer at all.

Roger
Good to hear that it has worked out. And as a bonus you have some good information if you ever decide to upgrade. I never would have thought about spending what I did on the Charlie's until I played one that belonged to an acquaintance of mine at Wintergrass. I was impressed enough to spring for the $85 smackers, but eventually also got one of his tone bars too.

Have fun.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:45 AM

I use the Bradley capo on my squareneck dobro. As mentioned in a prior post the capo goes between the fret board and strings, so neck shape doesn't matter.

https://cumberlandacoustic.com/product/bradley-capo/
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 05-15-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
I just got my Charlie’s a few days ago. The Shubb worked one like 2-3 frets of my guitar. I certainly wasn’t impressed. Charlie’s? Perfect!

I wanted to update my previous post. I fiddled with the Shubb some more and got it dialed in so that it works on the whole guitar. The Shubb could be a good choice if you don’t trust your ear to get the capo in the right place since it fits over the fret. I still prefer the Charlie’s, but am somewhat reformed on the Shubb.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments