The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishhman loudbox artist

Could I play a telecaster through a fishman loud box artist without dam aging the amp? Not talking about super loud volume but just as an alternative to playing the acoustic all the time live. switch guitars for some variety.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

You sure can. But it's not going to sound like an electric guitar amp.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-19-2022, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

you betcha and as Mick notes you'll have to tweak the settings to get a sound you like. You might pm Rokdog for some tips as he gets a great sound out of his LB Artist and Tele combo when we play live. However, if you use a distortion pedal, THAT might damage the amp, but a Tele straight in should be fine.

Last edited by leew3; 01-20-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

And as Mick and leew3 said, you'll have to tweak your settings AND turn the tweeter control down.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 01-19-2022 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Maybe Rock dog will chime in with some tips
Old 01-19-2022, 10:57 PM

Default questions on best way to amplify a gig this Saturday

sorry, too tired and messed up

Last edited by mcmars; 01-19-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:31 AM

You will not damage the amp.
An electric guitar amp amplifies a certain frequency spectrum and an an amp for acoustics and vocals is more or less full range.
Therefore I would try an amp simulation pedal or a cheap multi effect pedal with amp simulation. There are quite cheap ones from Mooer, Nux or Zoom. They should work well.
Of course, if you like only very clean sounds with your Tele, you might not need anything.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-20-2022, 07:27 AM

I use this as my main setup for my band, but the events of the last two years have meant that my band rig has only been used solo in my basement (dangit).

I use a Loudbox 100 and have a pedalboard setup that uses amp/cab simulation. I still have tube amps I really enjoy, and use them when rocking out, but I do this for a few reasons with the band:

- I use a mix of acoustic and electric guitars in our set, so now I drag out one amp instead of two.
- I used to use an electric baritone as well, and my small tube amps didn't handle the low end as well as a simulator through the Loudbox did. I didn't always want to haul a bigger tube amp head and cabinet around.
- it is pretty volume-agnostic (sounds consistent at different levels).
- I've gotten very sensitive to gain level and compression for the material in this band, and switching traditional amps would throw everything off. Now I always get the intended result.
- the connectivity of the Fishman is extensive, so I can use it as a direct box to send signals to the FOH if needed.

At least that's the plan. I got this all set up shortly before things shut down, so it was only used with the band for a few rehearsals (but I was really happy with the results).

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 01-20-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
Could I play a telecaster through a fishman loud box artist without dam aging the amp? Not talking about super loud volume but just as an alternative to playing the acoustic all the time live. switch guitars for some variety.
You absolutely can do this. As leew mentioned, I have used my Tele through my artist for our live gigs with no issues and I can EQ it to get a very nice clean sound. I use a Red Eye Twin D.I. Box which allows me to run the acoustic of my choice and my Tele through one channel on the amp.
Like “Darkwave” I have used an amp emulator in front of the Loudbox, but I found that for our purposes, I don’t really need distortion and it’s just one more part of the live setup I can do without.
As far as your main question, the answer is you can do it without fear and the clean sounds are quite good. Dial in your EQ according to your tastes.
Have fun!

BTW…When I want to rock I have a 1951 Vintage Chicago National/Valco 12 watt tube amp that produces some of the sweetest sounds with a Tele on earth.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-20-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
BTW…When I want to rock I have a 1951 Vintage Chicago National/Valco 12 watt tube amp that produces some of the sweetest sounds with a Tele on earth.
I can validate the sweet Tele sound out of that National amp-I have to concentrate on playing rhythm since I want to just stop and listen!
Old 01-20-2022, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

You will not hurt the amp. A friend brought his new tele to our acoustic group, and plugged into a marshall AC50 acoustic amp, and we were blown away by the beautiful tone it produced, esp on the neck pup! Smooth and clean-great jazz sound.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-21-2022, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You absolutely can do this. As leew mentioned, I have used my Tele through my artist for our live gigs with no issues and I can EQ it to get a very nice clean sound. I use a Red Eye Twin D.I. Box which allows me to run the acoustic of my choice and my Tele through one channel on the amp.
Like “Darkwave” I have used an amp emulator in front of the Loudbox, but I found that for our purposes, I don’t really need distortion and it’s just one more part of the live setup I can do without.
As far as your main question, the answer is you can do it without fear and the clean sounds are quite good. Dial in your EQ according to your tastes.
Have fun!

i have the same setup rockdog. redeye twin. i got the fishman artist as backup up for my aer 60/3 but the artist has more options and sounds pretty good on vocals. can also line out to qsc 10 or 8 depending on situation. thanks for all the responses everyone.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:33 PM

Many electric guitar players these days use an effects pedalboard with amp simulation into an FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) system. Basically it is just a fancy name for a powered PA speaker. I find that a good acoustic amp works pretty well as one of these FRFRs with an amp modeler and effects pedal.

I use a Line 6 HX Stomp XR as my amp modeler and my Elite Acoustics D6-58 as the FRFR, and it works wonderfully well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification