The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Not quite next week but...yeah I hate it, I'm pulling it.

Fa la la la la......
Care to explain why you hate it? You really went full circle. You said it sounded “really good” at first, the tried it briefly at a gig and now you hate it? Did you really give it enough of a chance? How does the Infinity Blend compare to the Anthem SL?

Last edited by JackB1; 12-12-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Care to explain why you hate it? You really went full circle. You said it sounded “really good” at first, the tried it briefly at a gig and now you hate it? Did you really give it enough of a chance? How does the Infinity Blend compare to the Anthem SL?
I know you were not replying to me, but I know with pickups, amps, guitars etc., we often have an initial honeymoon period where we love the product, but then find that it doesn't work for us. That's how I felt with the Fishman Matrix Ellipse Blend system, which is pretty much identical to the Infinity Mic Blend pickup. The only difference being that that the Ellipse blend had a gooseneck mic.

At home, the pickup sounded natural enough, but on stage, I could only dial in about 10% mic and even at that, it wasn't really adding in desirable tones. The Infinity Mic Blend has a better placement, but I can't see many people using more than 20-30% mic and that would be more intimate settings.

The Anthem is a completely different design. Yes it has a mic, but the tru-mic was designed to reject feedback in a way that other systems (Infinity blend included) do not. Even without trying the newer Infinity Mic Blend, I can say that the Anthem will sound more natural simply because you can blend all the way to the tru-mic and still be able to play on loud stages. Even the Lr Baggs Lyric can be used on a loud stage and work. I had one in my Taylor for a short time and never had feedback issues.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I know you were not replying to me, but I know with pickups, amps, guitars etc., we often have an initial honeymoon period where we love the product, but then find that it doesn't work for us. That's how I felt with the Fishman Matrix Ellipse Blend system, which is pretty much identical to the Infinity Mic Blend pickup. The only difference being that that the Ellipse blend had a gooseneck mic.

At home, the pickup sounded natural enough, but on stage, I could only dial in about 10% mic and even at that, it wasn't really adding in desirable tones. The Infinity Mic Blend has a better placement, but I can't see many people using more than 20-30% mic and that would be more intimate settings.

The Anthem is a completely different design. Yes it has a mic, but the tru-mic was designed to reject feedback in a way that other systems (Infinity blend included) do not. Even without trying the newer Infinity Mic Blend, I can say that the Anthem will sound more natural simply because you can blend all the way to the tru-mic and still be able to play on loud stages. Even the Lr Baggs Lyric can be used on a loud stage and work. I had one in my Taylor for a short time and never had feedback issues.
I have a friend who gigs regularly with a Martin and the Infinity Blend system and he said he has zero issues with feedback. He does solo and band gigs and plays at the typical volumes you would play at for bars and restaurants. I’ve seen others live with this system and again, no feedback issues. Not sure where all this is coming from.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I have a friend who gigs regularly with a Martin and the Infinity Blend system and he said he has zero issues with feedback. He does solo and band gigs and plays at the typical volumes you would play at for bars and restaurants. I’ve seen others live with this system and again, no feedback issues. Not sure where all this is coming from.
There are so many factors at play. I had zero issues with feedback when I used the Anthem and Lyric, but others have reported having problems. It depends on the guitar, PA, venue etc. It's not really as simple as saying that one person is making it work so it should work for everyone.

I do think that Fishman tweaked this system vs. the older internal mic options. I don't have proof of this, but I seem to remember them stating that even on full mic blend, it's only 50/50. The Ellipse blend that I had years ago, allowed for the user to go full blend, which was a nightmare. I think the placement of the new system helps a lot, but it's very, very similar to the Dtar Wavelength duo that's been out for years.

I think the concept is good for sure and if it works for some people then that's great. I personally would probably still use mostly the Matrix, blend in some Aura and then a bit of mic. I could see that working well.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
There are so many factors at play. I had zero issues with feedback when I used the Anthem and Lyric, but others have reported having problems. It depends on the guitar, PA, venue etc. It's not really as simple as saying that one person is making it work so it should work for everyone.

I do think that Fishman tweaked this system vs. the older internal mic options. I don't have proof of this, but I seem to remember them stating that even on full mic blend, it's only 50/50. The Ellipse blend that I had years ago, allowed for the user to go full blend, which was a nightmare. I think the placement of the new system helps a lot, but it's very, very similar to the Dtar Wavelength duo that's been out for years.

I think the concept is good for sure and if it works for some people then that's great. I personally would probably still use mostly the Matrix, blend in some Aura and then a bit of mic. I could see that working well.
You mean use it in conjunction with the Aura pedal?
Old 12-13-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
You mean use it in conjunction with the Aura pedal?
Yeah, but honestly, it would be an experiment! I am more and more coming back to a simple Matrix & Aura, TD or Voiceprint setup. Simple, pretty natural and consistent. The only thing I would love is a pickup that has a UST and SBT. I would still use an IR device like the Aura, but it would be great to just have something picking up my actual guitar.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:51 AM

here's all the reviews on Amazon and again, not one mention of a feedback issue

https://www.amazon.com/Fishman-Matri...pe=all_reviews
Old 12-13-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
here's all the reviews on Amazon and again, not one mention of a feedback issue

https://www.amazon.com/Fishman-Matri...pe=all_reviews
I would just play it and be happy that you have found a pickup that works for you. If you are not experiencing feedback and love the tone then I consider that to be a huge win.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I would just play it and be happy that you have found a pickup that works for you. If you are not experiencing feedback and love the tone then I consider that to be a huge win.
I don't have one yet and have waited due to some comments of people here. My point here is that you sometimes don't know what to believe. A few stray negative comments here sometimes get blown way out of proportion and become popular belief, even when it's unfounded. Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to try this system myself or I would have already. I would have to buy it online and install it. I have stuck with Anthems because I have installed many and I am familiar with them and generally pleased with how they sound. I have a musician friend who is constantly telling me that the Infinity Blend is way better than the Anthem and he is very knowledgeable and trustworthy when it comes to this stuff. Then I go on here and see nothing but mostly negative comments about it and I read reviews elsewhere that are mostly positive. I guess the only thing left is to try it myself??
Old 12-13-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I don't have one yet and have waited due to some comments of people here. My point here is that you sometimes don't know what to believe. A few stray negative comments here sometimes get blown way out of proportion and become popular belief, even when it's unfounded. Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to try this system myself or I would have already. I would have to buy it online and install it. I have stuck with Anthems because I have installed many and I am familiar with them and generally pleased with how they sound. I have a musician friend who is constantly telling me that the Infinity Blend is way better than the Anthem and he is very knowledgeable and trustworthy when it comes to this stuff. Then I go on here and see nothing but mostly negative comments about it and I read reviews elsewhere that are mostly positive. I guess the only thing left is to try it myself??
Oh, I was under the impression you had this system as you came across as really liking it. Yeah, unfortunately, the only way to know is to try it for yourself.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Hahahah, I hear ya. I must have changed my mind. I dunno, I guess I grew used to the Anthem SL. Fishman just has a different sound. I wired a Joe Mills mic into it for a little while. Tried it with a Felix also. I just never got a tone out of it that I cared for. It just sounds a bit brittle to me. That said I've heard Fishmans in plenty of guitars that didn't bother me. I just don't care for it in this guitar.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:52 PM

Weighing back in here again, even though most have probably moved on since.

I still have this setup in my custom guitar, and would buy another one in a heartbeat for my next guitar. I actually want to install one in my Faith Baritone.

Has it been perfect? No, but the only issues I've had came from inexperienced people behind the desk. Plus there was that one time my battery went dead, and I had no idea what was going on!!

My solo gigs have been faultless, and playing in bands has also been great when someone who has a clue is working the desk.

The few times I've experienced feedback, there was a dottering old guy who wouldn't/couldn't be told how to correct things. Even taking the mic out of the mix entirely made no difference.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification